Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know everyone knows how this feels, my pup will not leave any type of human flesh alone sometimes..he loves to bite the feet and shoes..lol I know he's a pup so i not worried bout it too much my main concern is that he doesnt seem to get No! when I tell him he just keeps bitting and sometimes he doesnt let go and it flippin hurts so I was curious as to how everyone else trained their dogs on this?

I even tap his nose and say no and he just looks up at me while he's biting.. now he knows im the man in my house but its this one thing he never listens to... any ideas?

Hes gonna be 9 weeks on friday

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Buster was really bad with this.First NO nose tapping.When you do that you could make the pup hand aggressive .Try a spray water bottle and when he starts to chew or bite spray it and say NO in a loud firm voice.You can buy bitter apple spray and spray your shoes and one taste of that he wont be coming back.Buy lots of chew toys and when he starts to chew or bite give him a toy.It's just a faze and it will be over before you know it.Good luck and we need to see some pics of your pup :wink:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a 10 week old puppy. I simply used the word "No" and I use two fingers to push the puppy away. Nothing hard or mean, just something that lets him know to give me my space.

Either do that or get a toy and redirect.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya ive been working on the toy and re-direct thing.. glad you said no nose tapping..thanks for that last thing I need is a hand aggresive dog... I will get a spray bottle and try that technique...hes not doing it to be mean or aggresive wise I know he's just playing but he makes it hard to walk..lol

I know I iwll TRY and post pics today.. crazy week at office by the time I get home I give Mason ALL my attention until I start dinner because he's been alone all day...

Pics ...COMING SOON....lol :p

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
where do you get that bitter apple spray? I prob wont need it just in case though :lol:

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Obelisk said:
where do you get that bitter apple spray? I prob wont need it just in case though :lol:
Any pet store carries it.I am sure it is just playing too.Buster was a real buster when it came to chewing pant legs,socks,shoes and even feet.I found the bitter apple spray to work wonders myself.All I have to do now is wip the bottle out and they both stop what they are doing.They cant stand the taste of it.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Squirt bottles work well for some very stubborn dogs. Although this did not work with Odie, I've seen it work very well with other dogs. So, when he bites, give a surprise squirt and give the "NO" command at the same time. The trick is to surprise them with the squirt bottle. The reason it didn't work with Odie is because I made the mistake of taking it out and putting on the desk or something to threaten him with it. Well, he got used to it being around and then started enjoying being squirted, so he'd bite even more so that I'd squirt him. :roll:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Beetle said:
Squirt bottles work well for some very stubborn dogs. Although this did not work with Odie, I've seen it work very well with other dogs. So, when he bites, give a surprise squirt and give the "NO" command at the same time. The trick is to surprise them with the squirt bottle. The reason it didn't work with Odie is because I made the mistake of taking it out and putting on the desk or something to threaten him with it. Well, he got used to it being around and then started enjoying being squirted, so he'd bite even more so that I'd squirt him. :roll:
I made a similar mistake. When outside with Lucy and Dozer. If they started playing too rough I would say "No" and squirt them with the hose. Dozer already loves the water from being sprayed. Dumb mistake on my part. Lucy still doesn't like water though.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
:lol: Haus knows when that water bottle comes out I mean business. Of course, he's not too fond of getting wet.

I would do the redirect with the toys. If your pup doesn't seem to be getting it, ignore them. Leave the room if you have to. The pup will start to equate biting with end of play time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The spray bottle completely failed for me. It just seemed to incense Loki and he would bite with even greater vigor. He's still a little bastard, but I think he's getting better. We've been taking him on walks and that seems to tire him to the point where he'll leave our feet alone for a little while.

·
Registered
886 Posts
baxter hates the spray bottle, he hates getting wet at all, when i walk him in the rain and when i spray him he start rolling around on the carpet trying to wipe his head off with his paws

1 - 11 of 11 Posts