Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
dog aggression and socialization

phisigozzy, some AB aggression stems from dominance, territoriality, protective insticts, pure dog aggression, or fear. Even though you had your boy neutered (good job), he can be dominant with other dogs that are not part of his pack. Dogs, BY NATURE, WILL KILL dogs that are not part of its pack!!! Neutering will help, but not cure the problem..........EVER! You just have to be dilligent. Dog parks are for poodles not ABs. YOUR DOG with the propensity to fight other dogs, off leash, should NEVER be off leash. Common sense. If you do not like this responsiblity, you should get a different dog. ABs are not for everyone. Having said that, you can "almost" cure the problem by going to a trainer. YOU are the alpha. If you know what to do......you can dissolve the problem.

Gator, your dog needs socialization primarily with your family/pack. Socialization means that it is well adjusted with PEOPLE and surounding environment, not running around like a lunatic with other dogs. Dog parks ARE THE WORST PLACE to socialize your dogs and the best place to get parasites. It is where you teach them BAD behavioral habits, like not coming when called. In essence, you are sabotaging your bond with your dog. You teach them that other dogs are WAY more fun than you. So, why should a dog come when called???
Like I said before, an AB is NOT a poodle or a maltese. Originally, IT WAS BRED TO KILL THINGS, like other animals and STRAY DOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Socialize them by taking them on a leash to crowed streets, on a leash. Get every kid to pet your dog. Get your dog to see/hear everything. You spend time with it. In reality, the only person the dog needs is YOU.

My circumstances are a bit different, but it applies to many. I do not let me dogs play with other dogs. My pups do not associate with my OWN dogs, until they are about 6 months. Why? I want the pups, in it formative years to absolutely imprint that I AM THE SOLE SOURCE of pleasure. I have all the goodies. I am PLAY. I am hugs and pets. I socialize them heavily with kids and women. So, by the time they are one or so, you get a dog that is indifferent to other dogs. They rather play with me than running off to play with other dogs. My two dogs play with eachother, but as soon as I show up, they drop everything to play with me. Simple conditioning, makes for a very LOYAL and predictable pet.

Socialization is not like humans. These are NOT humans. We should not humanize our pets. They are wolves that have been toned down. However, their social and mental health is optimized when we understand their pack mentality.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Family of 5.....

It is great you are doing your research.

QUOTE " I don't want the same things for my dog that you appear to think they need. " I think you are 100% wrong.

You say, you don't want a dog like mine. Trust me. You do not have one like mine. That I agree with you. I believe mine are BETTER pets, yes pets, than yours. Why? They are more predictable, loveable/focused towards their master, and they LISTEN to my commands consistantly. That is what a great pet is supposed to do. PLUS smooches. :wink:

However, my dogs are not "braveheart". LOL. They are family guardians, first and formost. AND I don't guess.

They just behave predictably. Does yours? They come to me NO MATTER WHAT THE DISTRACTION (except screaming decoys. LOL. we are working on that one. hahahah) Does yours?

My dogs want to be with me only. They are EXTREMELY loyal. Is that not what EVERYone whats from a dog??? I think so. YOu stated you wanted a loyal dog. Me too!

QUOTE "I don't think most people try to "humanize" their pets. " Are you kidding me? That is why my girlfriend has more change of clothes for her maltese than I have underwear. :evil: :p

QUOTE " I bought this dog for my family because I read it is very loyal and protective of it's family. Being that I travel alot I wanted something my wife and kids would feel secure with. "
Like I ask every single one of the people I train with. HOW DO YOU KNOW YOUR DOG WILL DO THE JOB IF SOMEONE DOES BREAK IN?" Don't know for sure? Well, you should not feel secure then and do not rely upon the dog.
I absolutely KNOW for sure what they will do. 100%

See, I think we want the dog for the same reason!

PS. "It is when you think they are not predators that people get sued for dog bites. " I got that quote from my training buddy. I think it speaks volumes.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Amocat00 quote "NOBODY can say absolutely 100% what a dog will do in a certain situation"

It is like telling a dog to "stand up". If your dog has never seen/heard this command how do you expect your dog to perform this task? If mine has seen, heard, performed this task multiple times, and I know he LOVES to do it, why would I not expect him to do it for me consistantly? No, certain things are 100%. I KNOW my dogs.

Amocat00 would it not be good for your wife if your dogs DID go nuts (great alarm dogs) but downed quietly, carefully watching, when told to do so by your wife, so she can receive her delivery? As you stated, I am sure your wife would agree. If your wife cannot open the door because your dogs are going nuts and she cannot hold back the three dogs, then she is a prisoner.

I want to share a story of one of the family I sold my dog to. He was a doctor with 2 120lb rotties and 1 90lb giant pit. They barked and went nuts, too. However, someone did break in his estate while his kid and wife was home. The dogs did nothing. Just bark. Needless to say the doctor was very upset. Obviously, this robber was someone who could read dogs. How many criminals do you think own pits and rotties???? I would say the majority. LOL. That is why he now has ONE proofed AB now.

Now, tell me which way he feels more secure for his wife and kids. One controlled PROOFED dog or three hard to control GREEN dogs? I would pick the one that involves lesss crap removal. :D

JMO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.