Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know i know....

i recently switched from RC Bulldog to Duck & Potato....to give them variety ya now....

anyway, the Duck & Potato kibble is smaller than the RC.... and watching them eat is quite funny.... now, i don't know a lot about bloat...and that's not really my question....

my question is, can i mix the 2 foods together and feed it that way? or should i just leave it alone and feed just one brand at a time?

thanks

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
snarky said:
i know i know....

i recently switched from RC Bulldog to Duck & Potato....to give them variety ya now....

anyway, the Duck & Potato kibble is smaller than the RC.... and watching them eat is quite funny.... now, i don't know a lot about bloat...and that's not really my question....

my question is, can i mix the 2 foods together and feed it that way? or should i just leave it alone and feed just one brand at a time?

thanks

Go ahead and mix them together. Your dog will have his system get used to both.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
IF you remember I did the same switch for Kate... and I mixed the rest of the RC with the DVP to do a gradual switch and to get rid of the rest of the RC

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
I am always worried about bloat too...dont exactly know what causes it.
Mass consumption of food too fast, exercising alot after just eating?? :?
All I know for sure, it isnt good for them to eat fast.
I just put a ball in his food so he has to eat around the ball and that slows him down.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kate said:
IF you remember I did the same switch for Kate... and I mixed the rest of the RC with the DVP to do a gradual switch and to get rid of the rest of the RC
i do remember, how is Kate doing on the Duck and Potato?

what i wanted to know is if it's okay to continually feed mixed food....not just a gradual change over...

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Kate has been doing wonderful on the DVP.....I do have to watch my amounts I give her. I put the food up to a "line" on the cup, so if I'm not paying attention and I give her even a little too much, soft poo. but if I'm accurate... beautiful poo! lol

but have them mixed together forever?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It won't hurt the dog to feed mixed high quality brands. I really don't think it's necessary to even gradually mix during the switch over. Just do it so you aren't throwing away good food. I don't know how sensitive your dogs tummies are, I have observed Sassy eating grass, chewing sticks and bark, snapping flys from the air, mouthing toads & slugs; she must have an iron belly. But her parents are working standard-type AB so maybe she's just not as sensitive os some of the other AB types or bully breeds.

And as far as all the dog foods available...my parents raised 2 boxers to old age on Purina Dog Chow & Gaines Burgers; I had a large wolf-mix till old age fed on Science Diet, and a Oorang type Airedale till old age on Old Roys Hi Performance. Only the Airedale didn't shed because terriers (and poodles) just don't.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
tycosales said:
And as far as all the dog foods available...my parents raised 2 boxers to old age on Purina Dog Chow & Gaines Burgers; I had a large wolf-mix till old age fed on Science Diet, and a Oorang type Airedale till old age on Old Roys Hi Performance. Only the Airedale didn't shed because terriers (and poodles) just don't.
Ol Roy.... bad bad bad stuff. big article about some things they were putting in their food

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
So im taking it bloat, is just too much air being sucked in while they eat??

I had mason on RC bulldog but was messing with his tummy so I switched to DVP and problem solved, although on this new bag I bought the kibble has slight variation in color tone as opposed to all the same color and since then his poo has softened up again... Could the dvp be a bad batch?

Im gonna try the ball idea see if he doesnt just take it out....

What are symptoms of "bloat"

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tycosales said:
I have observed Sassy eating mouthing toads & slugs
ha lol!!! my rott tried to eat a frog once.... so much foam it was disgusting..... but it was freakin hilarious to see...

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Obelisk said:
since then his poo has softened up again... Could the dvp be a bad batch?
very rare that a food has a bad batch,... it does happen, but not often at all. Kate had soft poo for a bit when she was first on it. try cutting the amount back slightly

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Signs of bloat are extreme restlessness and vomitting or attempted vomitting.

The jury is still out on whether soaking the kibble helps or hinders the prevention of it. Purdue university did an interesting study on it however.

Main thing is limit exercise and water consumption before and after meal time. 2 hours either way is a good guideline.

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/epi/bloat.htm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts