Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced this type of hair loss/balding??
He gets this every 2-3 months it seems like. This is first time it's happened since switching him to allergy free DVP food and giving
him fish oil.
Balding/thining only happens along the spine from base of neck to tail and
not on his white neck hair.

He doesnt itch or have fleas and when this first happened as a puppy,
they vet ruled out mange. :? Could it be reaction to mosquito bite?
Happens in winter, no skeeters in winter.

Just weird since this thinning always happens in the same spot and
not just a one time thing.
You can see his skin thru the thinning hair and his skin is flaky.
(the other pic is a random bald spot, dont know if it's related)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Alot of dogs with skin problems show it on the spine first, I'm not sure what causes it though.
Sorry...

Hey, my cat used to get something like that from rubbing to get under things.
Is he squeezing himself under anything (like a fence or bush)?

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Yes!! I just went through that with Chopper. We had skin scrapings done, we tested his thyroid. Nothin'. Then all of a sudden, it started to grow back! Sorry, no real answer for you though. Our vet suggested a condition called Follicular dysplasia...or something like that. Has something to do with the hair follicles not shedding properly? I dunno. Came and went without incident though. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I just did a quick search and got a couple possibilities..

Seasonal Dermatitis- a skin condition occuring in just the summer or just the winter, skin tests say nothing.

Demodex mange

Ringworm.. yikes..

The above three cause hairloss on the back

Below is a different website about hairloss in dogs (go figure)
http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dhairloss.html

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for help!!
Found this on what Chopper's vet suggested.

Color dilution alopecia is an inherited type of follicular dysplasia. It most commonly affects dogs with blue or fawn coats, which are dilutions of black and brown, respectively. Dilution is caused by irregularities in melanin transfer and storage. Signs of color dilution alopecia include hair loss and recurrent skin infection on the back. It can involve the whole body. The condition starts between the ages of six months and two years. Early hair loss occurs due to hair breakage, making it similar to structural follicular alopecia. It is important to treat the skin infections, and etretinate has been used to treat the hair loss
Sounds almost like what Orson gets, it does only happen on his dark hair and his hair around his spine is blackest.
He has gotten skin infections with it some. I guess he was about 6 months the first time.

His comes and goes without incidence also. English bulldogs are one of the common breeds affected, and he is almost half EB.

Says dogs with this SHOULDN'T be bred.

Just ANOTHER reason why his "breeder" shouldn't be breeding.
Not only is this inherited but his luxating patella in BOTH knees is also!! :roll:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Poor baby.. yeah I've seen that happen often in blues (normally happens with blue to blue breedings).

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, this is all just speculation tho. Says a skin biopsy is needed to confirm condition, then there is hardly any treatment and no cure.
Oh well..just have to live with it. :?

Who knows what was bred into him, backyard breeders :x
He was the "breeder's" first litter and i even contacted them to
tell about his knee condition....they said "oh, ours dont have any problems".
Yet they are going to continue to breed those dogs together and produce more problem dogs. :evil:
They have even given themselves a kennel name and bought more dogs to breed!!!!!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
If it's any consolation....whatever Chopper had (not convinced it was the FD as no tests confirmed it) never came back. At least, not yet... :?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts