Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday, when I came home from practicing weight pulling with Messiah, I saw an AB in a yard three down from my house. There were 4 guys standing out there throwing horseshoes. Because I saw it, I made sure to put Messiah on his leash before he jumped out of the 4Runner. Anyhow, he jumped down and I walked to the mailbox to get the mail. I turned around to go back to the house and the AB saw us. He came running up to us and the guys didn't even notice at first. I gave Messiah the "sit" command and he listened, but was still pulling forward toward the AB. The AB just sniffed and acted like it wanted to play. Then, they one guy notices and says "He's fine, he just wants to play." So, the 4 guys all walk over and start asking questions about Messiah. The AB, which I found out is about 9 months old, keeps trying to play and jump at Messiah. Messiah and I werre fine with it for a while. But, then the dumb MALE AB starts trying to hump Messiah. Messiah just stood up on two feet and sort of "boxed" the AB to stop him from trying to mount. I told the guy that's not a good idea, Messiah isn't gonna like it. All the while, he's just letting the AB do whatever, not trying to stop or discipline it at all. Well, it tried to mount Messiah again and Messiah ripped in to him. Within a split second I had Messiah picked up OVER my shoulder, and the guy still didn't grab his dog. I said "I told you that he wasn't gonna go for that" but they still didn't get a hold of the AB. He's more worried about how good my dog looks compared to his lanky AB, and yet he says "If you ever want to use him for stud with your female, I won't charge you anything." (somewhere in the conversation I told him I had another male and female in the house, because if that were Montana that this AB ran up on, she would've ripped in to it instantly. She's not in to strange dogs in her territory.) Anyway, I said as politely as I could "no thanks" on the stud offer and took Messiah inside. But, now I have to be more careful w/ my dogs outside, b/c these guys are over there all the time. If I see that or the APBT's they have over there sometimes running loose, I WILL be calling the authorities. I hate to do it, but I'm not taking the chance of getting in trouble or my dogs getting hurt b/c these guys aren't responsible. They don't even live there and the person who does rents the house, doesn't even own it. I wonder if the landlord even knows they constantly have dogs over there? Anyway, LEASH YOUR DOGS IN PUBLIC, for the responsible dog owner's sake!!!

~S

·
Registered
416 Posts
I love that "do you wanna use my dog as a stud line", I get that all the time. What I feel like saying is your dog is malnutritioned, and probably inbred, and your still trying to make a buck off it. I know, I am a little harsh. I have great admiration for people that rescue animals, but it is because of F***tards like this, their are so many dogs needing to be rescued.

·
Registered
790 Posts
hey hey, nothing wrong with inbreeding, if you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
790 Posts
come on Lisa! breed sister to brother 10X, all in a row and then never cull. That is the way. This way they will all look like clones.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: And then adopt them all out. Do it in Toronto. They have a no kill policy. :lol:

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Stupid people! I was walking Abby once too and a stray dog ran up to us, and I looked around but there was no owner. I said under my breath how unresponsible and continued on our walk. The dog was a lab mix and luckily, this one was friendly. But it's just sad that people will let there dogs run loose like that, owner or no owner. What if the guys AB did turn on a fight and bit Messiah's ear off, it's the most common, avoidable thing to happen. Not your fault of course, but the other persons. I'm sorry to hear about that though, i'm glad Messiah wasn't hurt.

·
Registered
790 Posts
follow the laws and you are not liable.

My male was being worked on a post (tied to a post). A lab x comes up all dominant. The owner laughs and says let them play.

I think this guy was insane and thought my male was submissive because I made my dog DOWN and not move. I was SCREAMING. The guy did not even have a leash.

The lab came OVER my male in a dominace stance.

Well, basically, the lab had its muzzle crushed and died.

He tried to get the police and SPCA after me saying I had a vicious dog.

Guess what happened? HE GOT CITED FOR NOT HAVING HIS DOG ON A LEASH and was told he was 100% liable. It was a good thing I had witnesses. I was contemplating suing the goof for destroying my training with my dog.

Bottom line. keep your dogs on a leash and no problems.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Sounds like you have a couple of idiots for neighbors.

If it happens again just be upfront and ask them to leash the AB. Beats getting the police involved and creating a real rift.

Leash your dog for problem 'avoision' (as they say on the Simpsons).

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: follow the laws and you are not liable.

PeterC said:
My male was being worked on a post (tied to a post). A lab x comes up all dominant. The owner laughs and says let them play.

I think this guy was insane and thought my male was submissive because I made my dog DOWN and not move. I was SCREAMING. The guy did not even have a leash.

The lab came OVER my male in a dominace stance.

Well, basically, the lab had its muzzle crushed and died.

He tried to get the police and SPCA after me saying I had a vicious dog.

Guess what happened? HE GOT CITED FOR NOT HAVING HIS DOG ON A LEASH and was told he was 100% liable. It was a good thing I had witnesses. I was contemplating suing the goof for destroying my training with my dog.

Bottom line. keep your dogs on a leash and no problems.
Wow, I'd say you got lucky. With the kinds of dogs we have, even if we do everything right, there's a chance we'll STILL be found somehow at fault. Regardless, this AB was definitely more submissive than Messiah. Messiah ripped in to him and he jumped back and didn't want none of Messiah. But, the thing is, I don't want Messiah to get that "scent of blood" thing going. Do you know what I mean? I don't want him to know that "feeling" due to having him, Mosley and a fairly dominant female around each other.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cannon said:
Sounds like you have a couple of idiots for neighbors.

If it happens again just be upfront and ask them to leash the AB. Beats getting the police involved and creating a real rift.

Leash your dog for problem 'avoision' (as they say on the Simpsons).
Yeah, I probably would do that first, but these guys aren't the most intelligent people on earth. And when they're over there, outside, they're always drinking, so I can see the potential for problems. Especially if I let Montana out, the AB comes over again and Montana hurts it. So, I'll just have to be very careful how I handle the whole situation.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Good luck with the whole ordeal!! People can be such IDIOTS!!! If they are drinking and stuff, prolly be best not to try to talk to them. Big issues could arise. Be on the lookout when you are out with your dogs. I would call the authorities. Hopefully that way you can avoid a bad situation all the way around. Doesn't sound like these are the type of people you would be able to "talk" to. I think I may start carrying pepper spray around when I take my dogs out for a walk, we always have loose animals roaming the streets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts