Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 mo. old OEB we are going to have him nuetered, I guess I was wondering if there are any side effects as far as his physical development is concerned? Anybody had any problems after having their dog nuetered? Are there any provable adjantages other than he won't be chasing every bitch in heat in a one mile radius?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
no puppies :lol:
J/k the pros far out weight the cons and honestly the only con that I can think of off the the top of my head is some people believe that it is best to wait until your pup is older so that their bones growth is not effected...I don't know about it in dogs but Test and Est have a lot to do with human development so I think it is worth a talk with your Vet. But by waiting you could be putting your dog at a higher risk of some types of cancer, wandering, and preg. so I would talk to me Vet about it..........I have chosen to get my girl fixed at roughly 7 months ( this month)...Sorry my response was so ambigious but I could not remember if you had a male or female

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I myself waited to have Buster done till he was 7 1/2 months.
He had no side effects other then swelling which made him look
like he didnt have anything done down there........lol
other then that he acted like himself, hyper as can be.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
My boy didn't have any problems. I think it hurt me more than it hurt him. He was a little groggy when I picked him up. By the time we got home (10 min drive)... he was running around with Heaven like nothing ever happened. He never really missed a beat. (Or his testicles.)

ETA: He was neutered at 4 mos.

·
Super Moderator
16,005 Posts
My male was neutered at 8 months old. He never had a problem with the
surgery and he never had any side effects afterwards. It's a good thing to do
for him and for your peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Hi, best to get it done. Adult size is determined by genetics, not sexual development. My friend got his pit
neutered at.. I believe 3 months old? He now weighs 70 pounds and he was MUCH easier to train and alot
calmer than his previous APBTs. he never went through that teenager stage either. I saw something about
this new study that said early neutering slows down the growth of the bones. This is a good thing, BTW. Bones
in larger bones tend to grow longer before they grow thicker, this causes them to have more brittle bones than
their smaller friends. By slowing down the growth of a larger dog, you are allowing the bones to grown thicker
and then longer (giving them stronger bones). They will still end up the same size, but will stop growing closer
to three years old (according to this study). They've also come across a side effect, so far of most of the dogs
that were neutered early (prolonged growth) they have become a little larger than the dogs of the same breed
and gender that were'nt. I would like to read more on it, but I don't exactly remember where I read it (either online,
animal planet, or a pet mag).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input my wife has already made the appoint ment for Oct. he will be 6mos. by then. I just wanted to hear others opinions.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
wow, thanks Thor for those links.
They weren't what I was reading but they are the same topic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.