Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just curious how many people on here own staffys ??
could you post some pics of your staffy and when i get enough i will make a video thanx :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
brady is a amstaff/bull mastiff mix, i actually for a second dog in a while, year or so want to find a irish staffordshire bull terrier...but cant find a breeder in canada

·
Registered
197 Posts
staffiens said:
brady is a amstaff/bull mastiff mix, i actually for a second dog in a while, year or so want to find a irish staffordshire bull terrier...but cant find a breeder in canada
Hi,

There is no such breed as an Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier :wink: There is only ONE Staffordshire Bull Terrier and that is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier (If that makes sense) There is the American Staffordshire Terrier, but that does not carry the name "Bull". The Irish Stafford is a designer name for dogs that usually have APBT blood in them and it's a way of getting around the DDA or BSL by calling them another name. There are dogs that come from Irish lines but they are nothing more than plain old Staffordshire Bull Terriers. The fact that so many crossbreeds get labled as Irish will only lead to problems for the tru Stafford and if it continues it wont be long before the Stafford goes down the same route as the APBT :evil: The sooner people stop using the term Irish Stafford the better.

If you want a Stafford my suggestion would be to go to a reputable breeder and get yourself a true Stafford :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
solidstaffs said:
staffiens said:
Hi,

There is no such breed as an Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier :wink: There is only ONE Staffordshire Bull Terrier and that is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier (If that makes sense) There is the American Staffordshire Terrier, but that does not carry the name "Bull". The Irish Stafford is a designer name for dogs that usually have APBT blood in them and it's a way of getting around the DDA or BSL by calling them another name. There are dogs that come from Irish lines but they are nothing more than plain old Staffordshire Bull Terriers. The fact that so many crossbreeds get labled as Irish will only lead to problems for the tru Stafford and if it continues it wont be long before the Stafford goes down the same route as the APBT :evil: The sooner people stop using the term Irish Stafford the better.

If you want a Stafford my suggestion would be to go to a reputable breeder and get yourself a true Stafford :D
this is what i'm talking about
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/irishstaffordshirebullterrier.htm

i was kinda wondering though because i never heard of them before, but this site pretty much says their fairly close to the american stafforshire terrier...when brady is 1.5 i'm gonna look at getting a second staff..

·
Registered
197 Posts
staffiens said:
solidstaffs said:
staffiens said:
Hi,

i was kinda wondering though because i never heard of them before, but this site pretty much says their fairly close to the american stafforshire terrier...when brady is 1.5 i'm gonna look at getting a second staff..
Hi,

I know exactly what you are talking about, look at the registry bodys that recognise them, not one of them is what would be classed as "reputable". The Irish Staff is a glorified crossbreed, and living in Canada with the laws being what they are you would be well advised to steer well clear of this "designer" breed. :D Here in the UK, we have organisations crop up every week that will register anything, they are nothing more than money spinning ideas that will give you no guarantee at all, and the fact is the chances are you will be either buying an APBT cross, or an EBT cross. They are NOT a breed and NEVER will be. Save your money and possible heartache (Through BSl) and buy yourself a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, if it is the fitter leaner Stafford that appeals to you there are enough true Stafford breeders who breed to this type :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
solidstaffs said:
staffiens said:
solidstaffs said:
staffiens said:
Hi,

Hi,

I know exactly what you are talking about, look at the registry bodys that recognise them, not one of them is what would be classed as "reputable". The Irish Staff is a glorified crossbreed, and living in Canada with the laws being what they are you would be well advised to steer well clear of this "designer" breed. :D Here in the UK, we have organisations crop up every week that will register anything, they are nothing more than money spinning ideas that will give you no guarantee at all, and the fact is the chances are you will be either buying an APBT cross, or an EBT cross. They are NOT a breed and NEVER will be. Save your money and possible heartache (Through BSl) and buy yourself a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, if it is the fitter leaner Stafford that appeals to you there are enough true Stafford breeders who breed to this type :D
your probably right, i'll probably end up getting another american staffordshire...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
English staffs ??

i must also say i have never heard of an irish staff before , until i joined this site and seen pics of roxy , so whats the difference between staff bull and irish staffs ? from what i can see they are leaner and more leggy but do they have the same personalitys ?

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
I beleive there is a breed as the Irish staffy, I have seen breeders websites. Also , yes they do all stem from the good old staffy, but the americans made them into ABP and the Irish made theirs too. I do believe however ppl use the Irish staffy name to cover for owning an APBT, which is unfair on the traditional Irish. But how else will we ever get to own a lovable APBT?

There isn't much difference between the APBT and staffy, apart form size.

Mark I get the impression you are not keen on APBT?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi,

You may have seen breeders webites for "Irish" Staffords, but they are NOT a breed. A majority of them also DO NOT stem from the good old Staffie. When the DDA came into effect here in the UK any dog deemed to be of "pitbull type" falls under this act and therefor runs the risk of being siezed and PTS, this includes the American Staffordshire Terrier. The way around this was to call pitbulls, pitbull crosses, AmStaffs..etc.. Irish Staffs, simply because it sounds better than saying i have a pitbull cross. As i have alrady said there are Staffords in Ireland that are nothing more than Staffordshire Bull Terriers andd thats exactly what they are called. There seems to be a new trend with people either wanting or selling Irish Staffs, that quite honestly i dont agree with at all. These people have no thought for the breeds that they could be harming in the future, or the dangers that they could face just by owning a dog of this type. I dont agree with the ban but the fact is it is the law, and as i have said you run the risk of having these dogs siezed. The biggest problem which most people who own or want one of these dogs dont seem to see, is the fact that these dogs DO fall undr the distinction of "pitbull type" and the fact that they are carrying the Name Staffordshire Bull Terrier could lead to serious problems for the true Stafford. With the government being what they are and thinking the way they do of Bull Breeds, it is imperitive that this STOPS, so that people do not confuse a Pitbull cross going under the pseudonym of Irish Stafford for a true Staffordshire Bull Terrier. This will cause serious problems and if the government feel that they are being made to look like fools by people breding pitbulls and calling them something else they will try to enforce a ban of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier aswell. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is getting a name around Europe for being no different to a Pitbull and is already banned in certain countries, if people continue to breed dogs that are NOT Staffordshire Bull Terriers and still giving them the name of the Stafford they will get banned here too :evil: There is NO traditional Irish Stafford !! The sooner people wake up and actually take the time to inform themselvs on these issues the better !! I will say it again, there is ONE Staffordshire Bull Terrier and that is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the Staffords name is being used in vain and it will lead to a ban !! If people are going to have the balls to own a pitbull in a country that they are banned and take the risk of their dog being PTS, then they should also have the balls to own up to what breed they actually have, instead of hiding it under a different breed and putting that breed at risk too. The pitbull is banned for a reason, because too many idiots got their hands on them, now the same idiots still own them an they are calling them something else (Irish Staff) They dont care that they are putting another breed at risk because all they will do is start to call their dogs something else should the Stafford get banned too. We have seen the effect of BSL in other countrie especially America, if these people continue to fool people and make them believe there is a breed called the Irish Staff, it will lead to the same sort of problems here. Please dont take this the wrong way but if anyone is going to try and preach that the Irish Staff is in fact a breed then go and do some research first, and educate yourselves. Post a picture of what you consider to be an Irish Stafford, and a majority of people who know their Bull Breeds will tell you that it is infact a Pit cross !! The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a recognised breed that is registered with the KC and the AKC, the Irish Staff can only be registered with tin pot organisations that will register any breed of dog who openly admit to registering cross breeds, and want nothing more than your money, should any of these organisations close they will simply open up again under a diffeent name.

Sorry for the rant, but this is something that really gets my back up, we have bull breed owners that will say they will fight BSL and they dont even know what are breeds and what are not. I dont think the Pitbull should be banned but the fact is, it is, and all that is going to happen if this continues is more breeds will be added to the list. How can anyone say that they love Bull Breeds and then willingly endanger another Bull breed ?

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Im not sure what part of the UK you are from, but you can own an APBT in the Uk, you need to have a lience (£1000) and the dog must be muzzled whenever they are outside.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Roxy said:
Im not sure what part of the UK you are from, but you can own an APBT in the Uk, you need to have a lience (£1000) and the dog must be muzzled whenever they are outside.
The reason those laws were introduced were to try to "irradicate" for want of a better word, the Pitbull. They are not supposed to be bred form therefor since the law was passed there shouldn't be any Pitbull here anymore,the plan was to introduce these laws, people could keep the animals that they already owned but couldn't breed, so in theory they should have all died out by now. The fact that are still here is obviously because people are breeding them, when they shouldn't be !!

The DDA does not ban a breed it bans a type. It is the same as saying the majority of blond haired blue eyed males of 6 ft commit murder so let euthianase them all. It is a stupid law but it is the law.

There are certain situations in which you CAN legally own a pit type. When the DDA was introduced owners where given the chance to register their dogs. These dogs HAD to be neutered and muzzled in public. It was then and still is illegal to own, breed, sell, give away any dog classed as a pit bull type.

You can (in theory) still get your dog registered today however this imho is very risky and i would be very surprised if any solictor would recommend you even attempt it.

In order to register them today you must go to the police and say "excuse me sir my dog is a pit bull please register him" The police will then take you to court where you pled guilty to owning a pit bull type and ask for the dog to be registered. If the courts refuse there is a good chance your dog will be destroyed.

Too many people think they understand the law when in fact they really dont !! You know as well as i do speeding is illegal, but you could get away with it for weeks then one day get caught and get points..etc..The same applies to owning a Pitbull.
I hope that helps :D

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Well, that news to me that you can apply, I thought that was changed in 1997. If you are caught with a breed that has the characteristic of a pit, then you have a chance to prove the dog can be made exempt, it would have to be chipped, tattoed, fixed, kept on a line at home and muzzled/leashed in public and a lience applied.

I had a friend 20 years ago that owned an Amstaff, he was taken away and he had to fight a european court to save his life, but in 1991 they made it so if you do have a pit then you can registry it, if it showed no danger. But then in 1997 they made it so you can only exempt the dog if you are caught with one, ie by this time they should have bred out.

I think I read it right, it's all on the Dfra website :)

Also on another subject, I have heard ppl are adding dalmation to staffy to get that longer leg look, not sure if the dalmation in them will make for a good fighting dogs :lol: they may run along side them tho with ease. (dalmation =coach dog :p)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts