Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any tips on a hyperactive staffordshire bull terrier?
she is 51/2 years old nut case she just can't control her self when people talk to her , imean shes fine with me she just sit and lets me stroke her and shes fine wiht kids she rolls on her back for a belly rub but any one else she goes banannas can't keep still jumps up licking runs around she can't stop her self i just have to tell them to egnore her in the end ant tips ant one. :?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I do not let anyone pet Tora until she is in a calm sitting position...Do these people walk up her talking to her? If they do tell them to wait until she is sitting calmly before they address her, don't even look at her.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no the person could be talking to me and then notice the dog the thing is she hasn't always been this way shes geting worse as she gets older.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It sounds like a dominance issue for some reason...?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'd suggest keeping her on leash around people, until she learns to control her energy. Keep her on leash, and make her sit. Then when she sits, she gets pet. That's what I do with Yote. He's hyper around certain people as well. He's crazy with the licking and nipping, but when he's on leash he is 100% better, and sits and waits to be pet. After the inital excitement has worn off, I can let him off leash in the house or whatever. I think I've got a while before I can let him off leash around people that excite him. I do this when people come over and it's been working well.

·
Registered
979 Posts
msvette2u said:
It sounds like a dominance issue for some reason...?
It does doesn't it? She sounds pushy. In that case I would strongly suggest NILIF - Nothing In Life Is Free. Make her work for everything; sit/stay for meals, sit/stay for leash on and off, obedience drills, long downs, cut back on fawning on her. If she comes over for petting, make her sit, pet her for a little while and then 'enough'.

Paula

1 - 7 of 7 Posts