Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya doin, This is something thats really bothering me, Thing is I used to have Millie in a collar, you know the ones with the brass pieces in them, It was a real leather one, Only thing is it was leaving a mark on her neck a full ring around her neck.We took it off her and bathed her to remove the mark.Now wearing no collar the mark has come back again and its due to her choke chain as we walk her using one, Shes white in collour and I know theres a god few white dogs on ere, has any one any ideas please, Remembering that even her choke "CHAIN" is marking her coat ?????? Im baffeled !!

pics below 1 with collar

pics below 1 with choke chain

·
Registered
704 Posts
Not quite sure what question you have, but I will explain the marks. Leather (especially dyed leather) will bleed color onto a dog's neck. It will bleed worse if the leather gets wet. If you keep the dog and the leather dry, the mark will be much lighter. Once the dye gets on the coat however, it can take quite some time to wash out.

Choke chains have a coating on them as well...the action of the chain rubbing on itself causes a fine powder to come off onto the dog's coat and stain it that yucky grey/black.

Nylon is about the only kind of collar that usually doesn't leave a mark on the neck. (depends on how it's made) I really don't mind a bit of a mark, so not a big deal to me...others it may really bother them. It doesn't hurt the dog...just personal preference. I personally don't have collars on my dogs in the house...only when we go out somewhere (I am also in the country with a fully fenced property though..low risk of my dogs getting out or being stolen) I never leave a choke chain on a dog as a regular collar ever...only to walk with. They can be incredibly dangerous if the dog get's caught in something and you are not around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes You will have to spend a few more $ on either a good leather collar or choke collar. I good pet store should beable to help you out.
Cheers

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
collar

I have spent big money on collars in the past, A little black mark wouldn bother me to much but this is quite a big mark belive me, Think I wil go with the idea of no collar at all til its walkies time lol,

Cheers for the help tho !!

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I use nylon collars with my dogs, and rarely get these kind of marks. Sometimes, if the cheap ones get wet, the dye will run, but on the better collars, that doesn't happen. Buster's collar is a 1.75 inch black nylon collar from petsmart, and his neck is white, and I don't have that problem with that one. What about those blockydog collars - they seem to be really well-made. Anyone have this problem with those collars?

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
No marks on Haus' neck, ever. So I'm not much help, but I'd suggest a nylon collar.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers

@Tia great cheers for that.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts