Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to teach my dogs "off" so they don't jump on anyone. My fault, I thought it was cute when they were puppies, but it's not so cute anymore. Actually Heaven is very gentle, and she doesn't weigh much. I still don't mind because she just softly jumps up and reaches for a kiss. Koa is a bit over-exuberant in his affection... he practically bowls you over. I weighed him at the vet's office yesterday...59.5 pounds. :shock: Pretty soon he will weigh more than my son and will be knocking him over.

I can't say it's okay for Heaven, but not for Koa, so I am trying to teach them both "OFF." So they come up to greet me... and both jump up. Err, well Heaven jumps, Koa plows into me... and I push them both off and say "OFF!" They don't get it, and keep jumping. So I turn around to ignore them... guess what happens?

THEY JUMP ON MY BACK!

Does anyone else have a stubborn dog that just won't stop jumping? Bill is going to help me with this, but Koa might not wanna jump on him, so he may not get the chance to teach him NOT TO. This is becoming a huge problem because it hurts when he jumps. He is not gentle! He doesn't know his own strength.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
With Deuce's training, we taught him that he doesn't get attention until he sits in front of us. When he would come up to us we would tell him to sit, and then pet him. Now he always comes and sits in front of us. But, if we don't ablidge and pet him, he then will jump.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I have the same problem :( exactly the same. and sometimes when kate jumps, she literally jumps in the air to get more towards your face. Problem is she doesnt jump on me though so I tell her down and make her sit and then when people go to pet her, she just jumps again. I wish I had advice but all I have is sympathy.

Oh and I have tried the leash thing... but then she just thinks she is going for a walk. Gets excited about that and then when I realized I'm going to get nothing out of her with the leash and I take it off, then she jumps on the guest.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I usually let me dogs jump on me but one method that I have seen work well with other peoples dogs is by using the knee. When the dog jumps up knee the dog quickly (dont just hold your knee up, but rather pop the knee into them) right into thier brisket. It works with most dogs. They tend to find it annoying so they will stay down. The important thing is the timing must be right and you have to jerk your knee into them quickly so you startle them. Just holding your knee up will do nothing to stop the behaivour.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I told Bill about this, and he suggested stepping on their back feet. I tried this with Heaven, and she got down, actually laid down... but when Koa kept at it, she got up and started in again too. She feeds off whatever he's doing and vice versa.

I found this webpage just now...

http://www.geocities.com/jetflair/greetingproblems.html

So I wanted to give it a try.... My dogs are playing outside right now, I stepped out on the porch, knowing they'd come running to greet me. I grabbed some treats and as soon as Heaven saw food, she stopped and sat. (She's so smart.) I handed her the treat, and she ran off. Koa then saw what Heaven did, and he sat too!!!! :toothy7: So I gave him the treat, and he ran off.

So maybe I just need to keep treats on me for a while and teach them to sit for treats when they greet me...pretty soon they will get the idea and automatically sit whether there is food or not. Then I can just give them praise. I don't know... I'm gonna try it and hope it works!!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I totally feel your pain. Bella is a jumper. She doesn't jump on my husband or me much anymore (unless she's fighting for attention when Remy is around), but she won't hesitate to jump on other people. She jumps up to their faces, too. It's really hard getting other people to participate in her training by telling her "OFF!", sticking their knee up, turning around, making her sit, etc. I think most of the people who come over to our house or who meet Bella out and about are just too intimidated by her. They laugh nervously when she jumps, and I think that just encourages her to jump more. I don't know what to do!

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have any visitors since I have no family around here. I have a few friends, but I'm always meeting them out, no one ever just drops in. Well, I take that back. My ex stopped over a few weeks ago. WALKED IN. Hello, I own 2 pit bulls, you might want to call first. Or KNOCK. Luckily Heaven recognized him and smothered him with kisses. Koa followed suit. By the time he made it to the other side of the room where I was standing, he was covered in scratches and nips. (Not on purpose, but they're mouthy when they're excited.) He got mad at ME, but I'm not the idiot who walked in unannounced.

I'm HOPING if I can get them trained to greet me by sitting nicely they will do it for everyone. I think I will try to socialize them more with people and make them sit before any words are exchanged. I'll get these dogs in shape yet!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have this problem too :( and its definitely is easier to deal with during the winter. Yesterday, I was wearing shorts and a short sleeved shirt, and I have a huge claw mark down my arm from his jumping on me. It drives me absolutely crazy, he only does this to me. I think it doesnt help that when he was a bit younger, I would grab his ears and smoosh his face and let him lick me, lol. However, the knee thing didnt work (but as Lisa said, I was just holding my knee out as a defense)

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Knee thing does work for me when she does it... but out of everyone she has ever met, only one person will do it, let alone correctly and that is my aunt b/c she has had large breed dogs her whole life. Just like Bella's mom said, people always laugh nervously or just leave their leg out or don't even knee her in the chest b/c they are warey of doing it

·
Registered
412 Posts
Kate said:
Knee thing does work for me when she does it... but out of everyone she has ever met, only one person will do it, let alone correctly and that is my aunt b/c she has had large breed dogs her whole life. Just like Bella's mom said, people always laugh nervously or just leave their leg out or don't even knee her in the chest b/c they are warey of doing it

I have this problem too, none of my guests wants to do it like I explain to them, I dont think Brodie is intimidating, he isnt that big/heavy, only about 45 lbs, but I think they just want him off of them, and feel like Im not taking care of it. So, usually he goes into his kennel when people are over. What sucks about that is, a) he doesnt get socialized to other people in the home, and b) he whines as loud as possible! hehe

·
Registered
576 Posts
We have to work on jumping with Loki too. The thing is, it's so hard because I love when she jumps up and gives me a nice greeting :). But I know it's not good puppy manners so I'll work on it :)

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Buster does it, too. I do the knee thing, hard - but it's Buster and he feels no pain. :roll: I can get him to sit for me to talk to him, but he's just so excited that I'm home (or that someone is visiting), that he either sits ON my feet, or steps on them. I can just count on getting dirty when I first come home everyday. Whatta ya gonna do? You gotta' love him! :D

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah if it were just me, I wouldn't care so much. I just don't want him knocking down my son! And it really sucks that they got mud all over my cute new shirt too.

·
Registered
886 Posts
yeah when people come to my appartment i immediately have to crate baxter because he just wants to meet the people and love on them, well he is 43 pounds and most people dont like it when 43 pounds of muscle jump on them. He is getting better but far more to learn.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Lisa said:
I usually let me dogs jump on me but one method that I have seen work well with other peoples dogs is by using the knee. When the dog jumps up knee the dog quickly (dont just hold your knee up, but rather pop the knee into them) right into thier brisket. It works with most dogs. They tend to find it annoying so they will stay down. The important thing is the timing must be right and you have to jerk your knee into them quickly so you startle them. Just holding your knee up will do nothing to stop the behaivour.
I used this method with Molly our Dalmation and it really worked wonders.Buster has issues of jumping up now but he is still small and I cant to the knee thing yet but I highly recommend using this method to anyone who is having jumping issues.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
I've been trying to teach my dogs "off" so they don't jump on anyone. My fault, I thought it was cute when they were puppies, but it's not so cute anymore. Actually Heaven is very gentle, and she doesn't weigh much. I still don't mind because she just softly jumps up and reaches for a kiss. Koa is a bit over-exuberant in his affection... he practically bowls you over. I weighed him at the vet's office yesterday...59.5 pounds. :shock: Pretty soon he will weigh more than my son and will be knocking him over.

I can't say it's okay for Heaven, but not for Koa, so I am trying to teach them both "OFF." So they come up to greet me... and both jump up. Err, well Heaven jumps, Koa plows into me... and I push them both off and say "OFF!" They don't get it, and keep jumping. So I turn around to ignore them... guess what happens?

THEY JUMP ON MY BACK!

Does anyone else have a stubborn dog that just won't stop jumping? Bill is going to help me with this, but Koa might not wanna jump on him, so he may not get the chance to teach him NOT TO. This is becoming a huge problem because it hurts when he jumps. He is not gentle! He doesn't know his own strength.

Voth of mine do it and yes...when I turn the get mr in the back. I have lines running down my back daily from the claws. Clutch is the bad one at my house...hes 70+ lb already and he does that thing...when he curls his toes into to grab on...ohh its killer. When mine get real bad we pull out the squirt bottle. We dont have any normal squirt bottle...its a gardening one with a constant stream of water. It hits pretty hard and they hate it in the face. But still that only fixes the problem at the time...next person who walks in has it coming to them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sadie is still pretty bad about jumping up... more often when I'm feeding her than any other time. She tries to jump up and grab the food bowl with her mouth. I would have surely thought that commands like: sit, eat, :twisted: get 'em (she bites her toy and shakes her head violently side to side), outside, and lay down would be far more difficult. She picked them up easily. Down or Off seems to be a mystery to her. :wink:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Different methods work for different dogs, but one method I have found extremely usefull is to put the jump behavior on cue. Teach them to jump, reward when you ask for it... then, when they have that trick down pat, quit asking for it. Working with animal actors, we had to teach jump..I found that anything that was put on cue..sit, etc. whatever, they will only do when asked.. that's if your dogs have decent OB, and good control overall.

For the unruly dogs, I have found that if you grab thier front feet when they jump and hold them up well beyond thier comfort level, they will quit jumping after a few repetitions of it. They realize they are no longer in control..and being held up is no fun. You must commit to it and repeat this every time they jump though for it to be effective. It has worked very well for me.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Odie is a terrible jumper. He doesn't just jump up, he snaps at your face. One time I was positive he broke my nose it hurt so bad. Now, he's really good and doesn't jump when it's just him, but enter Tala, and all manners are gone because he wants to make sure he's getting more attention than her. It has taken up until now (8 months) for him to start mellowing out and listening to the "No" command, but I still have problems.I tried the "zombie" technique, and that never worked because he'd just bite you if you didn't respond to his jumping. I just held him down on the ground by the collar and gave the "No" command, and then walked away from him. I never used my knee, stepped on his toes, or pinched his feet when he jumped up, either. My Dad "trained" my Golden Retriever not to jump on people by stepping on her toes or pinching her feet, and so she developed a phobia of people touching her toes. She'd bite you if you touched her toes. Not only that, it was cruel and unnecessary.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts