Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked last night so my wife took Loki in for his 12week vaccines and check up , and when she came home Loki took a 2 hr nap and when I got up he was still walking around in a daze . I asked her what the vet had given him and she said well she told me he would be sleepy after the Lyme Vaccine .

I was suprised since I hadn't decided whether to get that vaccine or not , but my wife said she had it all drawn up and basically was giving it to him when she told my wife what it was .

Anyone else give their dog that vaccine and have you had any trouble with it ?

Mike

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good to know , I had thought I read something on the forums about not getting it due to a possible reaction or some sort . I did have a dog get Lyme's once and it was pretty tough on him , but I hear the vaccine is only 60% effective or so .

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I decided not to, even though she was supposed to have one. I really don't like over vaccinating Abby, I have heard some awfl stories how it messed with their dogs nervous system, mentally and physcially.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I got Roxy a Leptospirosis shot a few years ago. I don't think i have done the Lyme shot.

ambulldogpup said:
I decided not to, even though she was supposed to have one. I really don't like over vaccinating Abby, I have heard some awfl stories how it messed with their dogs nervous system, mentally and physcially.
I agree with you. I get Roxy her rabies shot every 3 years. A friend of mine worked at the vets office and she told me that the rabies shot is good for 3 years but the vets won't offer up the info willingly. I go in once a year for a check up and still get a rabies tag for the year but no shot.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
My vet only recommends the rabies 3 year shot, he says it depends on your area as to what shots
you should get your dog. He says not to overvaccinate your animals. I don't have a lyme issue in
my area, but still why get it if you use Frontline or Advantix, etc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a lyme issue in

Well I researched the use of frontline and that is not considered a proper preventative because it can take up to 48 -72 hrs to kill the tick and it only takes 24 hrs to infect the animal . I guess its a moot point since the vet went and gave him the first of the series , I guess I was mostly looking to see if anyone had a bad experience or if I should get the second booster shot.
I really probably would have opted not to get it even after doing some more reading so I am going to make sure I am at the next appt and ask why she automatically gave him that vaccine without asking or giving us the option. I made the appt to get his expected vaccinations and to me the Lyme's vaccine is optional .

mike

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
My vet suggested that we do get one because we go up to our cabin which is in northern Wisconsin. He hasn't had any negative reactions from it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
All of my dogs get Lymes vaccines every 2 yrs, fortunately never had a vaccine reaction of any kind ever. I work at a vet clinic and we do commonly see soreness and lethargy associated with the Lymes vax, the drs compare it to a tetanus shot in humans. The vaccine we have the most probelms with reaction wise is the lepto 4-way. Unfortunately this is a necessary vaccine where I live because we had an epidemic of lepto over the last few years and it is also zoonotic (meaning ppl can get lepto too!)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
mjh68 said:
I don't have a lyme issue in

Well I researched the use of frontline and that is not considered a proper preventative because it can take up to 48 -72 hrs to kill the tick and it only takes 24 hrs to infect the animal . I guess its a moot point since the vet went and gave him the first of the series , I guess I was mostly looking to see if anyone had a bad experience or if I should get the second booster shot.
I really probably would have opted not to get it even after doing some more reading so I am going to make sure I am at the next appt and ask why she automatically gave him that vaccine without asking or giving us the option. I made the appt to get his expected vaccinations and to me the Lyme's vaccine is optional .

mike
I use Advantix (which works in 12 hours), I only mentioned Frontline because other people use it. MY
vet recommends not overvaccinating, there have been studies connecting vaccines and cancer. What
I do recommend is getting titer tests done. They check your dog's blood to see if the vaccine is still
in your dog. Some dogs can live their entire life with one 3 year rabies vaccine still in them, so get
your dog's blood checked. I know the test costs as much as the vaccine, but I think it's worth it if
your dog already has the vaccine in his blood to find out and not give your dog more of it.

Remember, vets make their living off of sick dogs and they don't always want the best for them.
It's important to find a good vet who is honest.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Lyme immunizations are unnecessary. Lyme disease can be very serious in humans, but most dogs that acquire it exhibit only a brief acute illness. In fact, most dogs that test positive for it don’t even show any sign of acquiring the disease. Worse yet, the immunization can cause inflammatory arthritis in dogs. Which is worse?

Keep in mind that Lyme disease is a bacterial disease, meaning that immunizations don’t last very long and vaccines need frequent boosting to be effective. This is a stark difference from viral vaccines (i.e. distemper, parvovirus) where a single shot can give lifelong protection (verifiable with a titers test).

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Thor said:
Lyme immunizations are unnecessary. Lyme disease can be very serious in humans, but most dogs that acquire it exhibit only a brief acute illness. In fact, most dogs that test positive for it don’t even show any sign of acquiring the disease. Worse yet, the immunization can cause inflammatory arthritis in dogs. Which is worse?

Keep in mind that Lyme disease is a bacterial disease, meaning that immunizations don’t last very long and vaccines need frequent boosting to be effective. This is a stark difference from viral vaccines (i.e. distemper, parvovirus) where a single shot can give lifelong protection (verifiable with a titers test).
Good post (can't find the smilie for that)
:D

·
Registered
203 Posts
I used to vaccinate against lyme, but don't do so anymore. One of my girls got sick despite being vaccinated and I have a couple of friends with dogs that got sick as well. After that happened I googled around a bit and realized that the vaccine is not very reliable and can have some pretty bad side affects, the human vaccine has been taken of the market because of the side effects.
Instead I use Frontline and check my dogs for ticks daily.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
We have to do the rabies shots every two years but today the vet told me they do last for 3 and they are trying to pass it here to only have to get the shot every 3 years. But because of where we live we have to do it every 2 years. But I wonder what would they could do to us if we only did it every 3? Anyone know? I guess if they bit someone we could be in trouble. But the shot would still be good. HUMMMMMMM :?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
If you get whats labeled "three year shot" you are covered for three years. I believe it's probably the same vaccine
anyway, vets want to overvaccinate because it brings money into their office.

About your dog getting Lyme with the Lyme vacc, vaccines ARE the desease so I can see it happening.
I can't get the poison ivy shot for example because I am highly allergic to P-ivy and the vacc is ivy so I will get it.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
On Rabies shots you have no choice in most places.Like here you need a rabies shot every three years and thats set by our town
not the vet. You have to license your dogs here and you need to supply a rabies cert. If you get caught with an unlicensed dog let alone caught and they haven't had their rabies shots every three years its stiff 250.00 fine and 25.00 per day for as long as you let it go. Licenses are $5 each if they nutered or spay, $10 if not. so it is better to abide by the town laws . they can also take your dog if you refuse or let it go to long . So Rabies shot in most places are not optional the others all are

·
Registered
95 Posts
We just got Carter a lyme shot a month ago. Luckly he didn't suffer any bad reactions. Our vet suggested it only because we are going camping. It isn't required but I would feel horrible if he got sick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts