Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have our pupp home now, and he is TERRIFIC for the most part. He is already pretty much potty trained now (we didn't even have to do crate training for that one, just a little reinforcement and he's doing GREAT), knows the sit command, lie down, come, no, off, leave it. He is absolutely amazing for an 11 week old pupp....couldn't expect any better really!!! He has been an absolute breeze to train so far, I'm pretty amazed.

Well one problem.....when he is in his "puppy mode", he thinks it's fun to pounce on my daughter if she is crawling around. Also if she is playing with one of her toys and he's curious, he will just try to get right in there and get a bit pushy trying to see what she's doing. He also thinks it's fun to try to get her diaper, and clothes off when she's walking. Of course I NEVER leave them unsupervised together, but there has been a couple times he has gotten a sneak "attack" in on her clothes when she walks by him. Yesterday he accidently got a bit of skin with the shirt, and my daughter yelled no at him, and pushed him off. I then corrected the pupp, and he went and gave my daughter some licks and went and layed down. He lets her hug him, and rub his face without mouthing her, but it's just so annoying that he wants to get at her clothes when he's hyper, he also is just more pushy in general when he's hyper (he wants all the toys, all the attention, wants everyone to join in on a game he wants to play, etc.).

I have been seperating the two of them when he's in a really hyper mood, that and just holding him back, or making him stay in a sit, but I'de love to just nip this bad habbit now. I also kind of feel like my seperating them is creating a bit of anomosity for some reason....it just seems to be creating tension that otherwise doesn't exist. It almost seems like he resents my daughter if he has to be seperated from us (if that makes sense?). I have also been trying to ensure he knows her place in the pack.....she always eats before him and in front of him, goes through doors first, has first pick of EVERYTHING and anything......so I am working on that. He likes to try to get mine and my hubby's pants off too, and we keep telling him off, etc.. I'm just wondering if anyone has a fast solution to this. Maybe I'm just expecting too much? I know he's just playing, and he really adores her, and he's only a pupp, but I don't like taking any chances either....I don't want him to nip at her at all.

Does anyone have any other tips????

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
How about keeping your puppy on a leash (with you holding the leash) until he learns to play gently? You can let him play with your daughter, but you also have quick control over him. I don't know if that would be practical - it sounds like it would work, though! I know a lot of people do this when they're housebreaking their pups, so maybe the same principle applies.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Unless the leash trick Leeann mentioned works, I am thinking that this is just a pup being a pup and it will just take repetition. Just keep telling him "no" when he jumps on her and eventually he will understand that this is something he cannot do.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I gotta agree with both Leeann and Rachel. Also you've only had this pup just few days. Keep working with him as you have been it will sink in to his little knoggin.
One thing else it's great that you little girl is also already giving him commands and he listening. Keep reinforcing that, her giving commands and him obeying. It sounds as if things are going well all and all!

·
Super Moderator
15,961 Posts
I am with everyone else. He is a pup and pups learn through play. Just be consistant with your training of him and do not let him get away with playing rough even one time. Also it is important to know that babies and pups are not a good combination. Pup is too rough with baby and baby is too rough with pup. So do keep their interaction supervised so neither gets hurt.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhhh (sigh of relief!!)

Something clicked in his head today....and he is being WAAAAAAAAY better now!!!! Maybe it was the instance last night when he accidently nipped, cuz now all day he won't even go near her with his teeth, and he is REALLY listening to my "gentle!!!". He has just been taking all of his puppiness out on his toys instead of my daughters clothes, LOL. I still don't leave them unattended alone (of course), but he's being just way better about everything now. No diapers pulled off or anything. Every time I told him to "sit" today, I let my daughter be the one to hand him his treats......he likes that, and took the treats ever so gently!!! My daughter seemed a bit worried to be around him earlier, but by the end of the day she was hugging him, and giving him kisses, and calling him "Baby" again. If he starts up again I'm definetly going to leash him to me all day, he will absolutely hate that, but whatever it takes!!! Thanks for the idea!!! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts