Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband wants to get a puppy that is lineage from this website http://www.thexk9line.com/pixlinx.html
On this page if you scroll down there is a puppy named Rocco, this is the father dog of these puppies. I am not sure of the female but it is from this same website. They say they are bread for "temperment".
I just lost my 2 babies of 11 years (Male German Shep Mix and Female Black Lab Mix 3 weeks ago in a freak accident they were both killed. These puppies were born 2 days later and my husband has his mind set on getting one of the females.
I do not know anything about this breed, and specifically what breed they are, i only have known what i have heard.
I have been reading this website and other websites for 2 weeks, i have bought 2 hard cover books on pit bull breed and read them, one magazine on bully breeds, talked to our vet, our groomer, doggy day care people and trainers. I definitely see the "good" in this breed. However i am hesitant because 1. we have a cat 2. we will get another dog as well, probally a mix from the shelter (that is what my heart is going out to 3. all my friends..and my mother (i am 41) are forbidding it 4. my mothers dog comes to visit for extended periods of time when she has out of town doctors appts and visits my brothers family out of state, he is a dog just like benji in the movie.
My husband has had 2 pit bull in his life, before me and he loved them, they were both stolen at age 2, he says he trained them and they were people friendly, child friendly, and never cat or dog agressive.
I read the good and bad on this site.
I worry that if the dog has a "bad day" with people, cat or other dog, or my kids 11 & 15. a bad day bite with a black lab is one thing...with a pit bull and the power of their jaws is a broken bone or worse.
If someone could tell me if i spent 2 years in training with this dog and i wouldn't have to still watch the dog like a hawk, i'd be ok. I know there are no guarantees....but it is a huge responsibility. I work at home and seem to be more in the lap dog mood.
Please let me know what you think.......believe it or not.....my husband will probally get the dog regardless of what i say.....Smokey and Bandit lived with me for 11 years, he only knew them for 4, since we got together. He'll probally divorce me if i say no. I bought him a boat last year....isn't that enough ?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I wouldn't give a penny for one of those puppies! I'd love to see how they are considered "confimationally correct" as well.

If someone could tell me if i spent 2 years in training with this dog and i wouldn't have to still watch the dog like a hawk, i'd be ok. I know there are no guarantees....but it is a huge responsibility. I work at home and seem to be more in the lap dog mood.
If you'll be the primary care giver then I'd tell you to go with the lap dog, or a breed that you'd feel definitely more comfortable with. What so called "temperment" is the above site actually breeding for? There are so many rescues in need of a good home (no puppy stage :D) that are already good with cats, other dogs, already housebroken etc. If indeed wanting an "pit bull" type then I'd say that rescue would be the easiest route. Just my opinion ;)

[/quote]

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
If you plan training and also crate train, they can be the most loveable dog you could ever have. They are great. Unlike any other animal. They dont just have their "Bad days" and take it out on people. If they are young when exposed to your other animals they should be fine, but crating when not around is always necessary.JUST IN CASE, and not only because of the breed, but all dogs should be, and risk accidents!

Really, great choice if you have time, but the breeder..........................................................................................Ill stop here.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
GOSH, I hope she checks back in before buying>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
sajoseph said:
GOSH, I hope she checks back in before buying>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

lol patience my friend patience.... she just posted this today so I doubt shes going out and buying a dog this weekend, least lets hope not

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you for the PM sajoseph, i did receive it and am trying to learn the posting process.

the puppies won't be ready ... or of age... until end of April

as you can see from the website page i referred to, this couple shown have 3 of their puppies.
they are now 2+ age each

i have visited them, and they seem fine, they are crate trained and he lets them out one by one in his backyard, says if he lets out more than one they get mischievious. they seem normal, happy playful dogs, they came to me, i always approach any dog respecfully and cautiously, allowing them to come to me, and they let me pet them and they played with me. the parents have a 12 month old and 2 1/2 year old at home and the 2 1/2 year old was playing in the backyard with the puppy also.

they even told me that when the 12 month old is in his walker and has cheetos, the babies feed the cheetos to the pups

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also....i fully believe in crate training, as a positive and necessary thing, not time out

i learned this the wrong way when i wasn't educated and my german sheperd, Smokey was an adolescent and was chewing !

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
spiritpins said:
thank you for the PM sajoseph, i did receive it and am trying to learn the posting process.

the puppies won't be ready ... or of age... until end of April

as you can see from the website page i referred to, this couple shown have 3 of their puppies.
they are now 2+ age each

i have visited them, and they seem fine, they are crate trained and he lets them out one by one in his backyard, says if he lets out more than one they get mischievious. they seem normal, happy playful dogs, they came to me, i always approach any dog respecfully and cautiously, allowing them to come to me, and they let me pet them and they played with me. the parents have a 12 month old and 2 1/2 year old at home and the 2 1/2 year old was playing in the backyard with the puppy also.

they even told me that when the 12 month old is in his walker and has cheetos, the babies feed the cheetos to the pups
First of all this ERROR crap is making me mad. You cant post. Every time you try you get an error, then your post gets erased!

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Next, any puppy is gonna eat cheetos outta a childs hands. Pups are innocent. It is later as they grow the genetic faults come out. SOME can have noticible probs right from the start, but most show later.

You obviously havent seen his public ads.I would display them, but I do not beleive in trashing kennels by name on public forums.

I will, later tonite however, send you one in a PM, Ill find the one that relates to "mutants".

I know, Im a cur!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
saj.... try copying your text before hitting submit from now on.

i had another suggestion but the same error just happened to me and the suggestion obviously didnt work since I am typing this again! haha

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Any bully breed can be the most loving and loyal dog. I would never choose any other. You need to have lots of training with any bully though. More than some other breeds because they are so smart and can be very stubborn. Pits, staffs, AB, etc.. are all amazing with children. If you have a good tempered dog, your dog is not going to just have a bad day and decide to bite someone, or one of your children. Infact bully breeds put up with pretty much anything from children and would bite themselves before they would ever hurt a child. Here's a link to a video done by a member here Halo, it's about bullies and kids. http://youtube.com/watch?v=kZ1MsU5GZD8

As for multiple dogs. I would only recomend this to experienced bully owners. It definalely can be done with no problems, but there is also the other side where their dogs can't be in the same room without wanting to fight. If you're going to have more than one, most people would recomend male/female instead of female/female or male/male. However if you are fully invested and find a trainer experienced with bullies, you can make it work. It will take a lot of time and training.

About the site you posted, are those suposed to be APBTs (pit bulls)????? They look like Staffs to me. I don't see anything about health testing, etc........????? I wouldn't get one of those pups. You could always adopt a young dog from a rescue. Petfinder.com has lots of pups looking for homes.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
spiritpins said:
Please let me know what you think.......believe it or not.....my husband will probally get the dog regardless of what i say.....Smokey and Bandit lived with me for 11 years, he only knew them for 4, since we got together. He'll probally divorce me if i say no. I bought him a boat last year....isn't that enough ?
This is a HUGE responsibility, they are great dogs, but there is ALWAYS a chance for the dog to be animal aggressive to your cat and other dogs.

Also, I don't want to get personal here, but if you aren't ready for the responsibilty of a bully, then your husband should wait, not divorce you :?

Good for you for looking into the breed and knowing what you are getting into, just be sure you want it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Oooooohhhhhhhhhhhh, I love Honey!!!!!!!!!

8 months!! How can people live with themselves?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Honey is amazing!!! Look at that smile! It breaks my heart to read about puppies having puppies.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
omg aspen!!!!! i want him!! how could anyone give him up?!?!?!!?! :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts