Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions on bloodlines and breeders. Im looking for a real laid back dog. I know you cant have gaurantees but i would love just a little bit of reassurance from someone who has had a dog of the particular line and such. This dog is going to be pretty much a lazy house dog.

As said in many previous threads i dont want a big mastiff style pit like the gotti lines or muglestons. Basically looking for a mid sized pit, with great intelligence and laid back.

·
Registered
320 Posts
A mid size/smaller one.....I think they tend to usually be even more active (from my experience anyways). If the dog has "great intellegence" chances are it won't make a good lazy house pet either.....smart dogs typically want to work, want to exercise, and want stimulation, and don't usually want to spend most of their day sitting on a couch being lazy. :wink:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hank da Tank said:
Anyone have any suggestions on bloodlines and breeders. Im looking for a real laid back dog. I know you cant have gaurantees but i would love just a little bit of reassurance from someone who has had a dog of the particular line and such. This dog is going to be pretty much a lazy house dog.

As said in many previous threads i dont want a big mastiff style pit like the gotti lines or muglestons. Basically looking for a mid sized pit, with great intelligence and laid back.
I would recommend getting one from Gaff or Blue Diamond Kennels.
They breed nothing, but champions. Their price is pretty reasonable.

http://www.bluediamond1.com/home.html

http://www.gaffkennels.net/

These are show dogs.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
My apbt is gator/jeep/redboy. He's only 7 months old, but so far he's had an awesome temperament. He's FAR from laid back though...you'll never find an apbt that is laid back. They are extremely hyper dogs.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
apbtgurl26 said:
My apbt is gator/jeep/redboy. He's only 7 months old, but so far he's had an awesome temperament. He's FAR from laid back though...you'll never find an apbt that is laid back. They are extremely hyper dogs.
I wouldn't say that my sister in laws dog rex is pretty laid back

He came from a byb I know byb=bad.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hank da Tank said:
This dog is going to be pretty much a lazy house dog.
Here is an option for you: adopt an adult pit from a rescue. They will almost certainly be able to find you a lazier pup in need of a good home! It is hard to tell with puppies whether they are going to grow up to be sedate housedogs. But a rescue group gets to know the dogs very well, and they will probably be able to find you a dog whose personality matches what you are looking for.

This older girl is nearing the end of her time and there are many more out there like her! All she wants is a blanket and a bone and some kind human companionship:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
AsianRedneck said:
Hank da Tank said:

I would recommend getting one from Gaff or Blue Diamond Kennels.
They breed nothing, but champions. Their price is pretty reasonable.

http://www.bluediamond1.com/home.html

http://www.gaffkennels.net/

These are show dogs.
Too big & too bulky....must be the everchanging UKC guidelines they like to go by. Anyways, with only 1 bitch & puppies available now with another breeding planned for this year, that really tells me a lot. PEDDLERS.

·
Registered
172 Posts
AllAmericanPUP said:
if your looking for a laid back dog then your lookin at the wrong breed.
I don't think thats always true, my house dog is very laid back. She listens very well, but I would still say she is one of the smartest dogs I've ever had. A lot of times it doesn't take smarts to be easy to train, but she thinks about things and figures things out and learns new stuff all the time. Of course she loves to play, chase balls, use the springpole but she isn't hyper and is just as content laying around the house all day. She will lay at my feet while I'm on the pc, lay in the kitchen when I'm doing dishes and lay by me when I'm watching tv so she's very laid back. It just depends on the dog and breeding can have an effect on it. Her mom was extremely laid back and lazy, more so then her, nothing could get her to be hyper and her dad was more like her he would play very hard and loved walks and everything but was just as content laying on the couch.

My other female is super hyper and I also don't think she is the brightest dog out there, even inside and since she was a puppy she has been very hyper. She will at least listen now that she is older/trained but she doesn't even like to be inside the house she always wants to play and run around. If I bring her in she will sometimes still get hyper and I have to tell her to calm down, even if I'm playing with her inside she wants to run around and then rund outside and have me play with her. When she is outside she makes her own games up and can keep herself entertain for hours, if she's not on the springpole or playing with some other toy she will chase butterflies, beetles, leaves blowing around she is none stop hyper dog.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Don't buy from a breeder. Get a dog that's been in a rescue and the rescue can match you up with a juvenile or adult dog. That's the most foolproof way to get a "laid back" dog!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im sorry bout i dont agree with you that pitbulls arent laid back. I have had two and they have both been very intelligent and depending on your mood laid back. Thats what makes a pitbull great. They are lazy when you want to be lazy or playful and energetic when you want to be.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Hank da Tank said:
Im sorry bout i dont agree with you that pitbulls arent laid back. I have had two and they have both been very intelligent and depending on your mood laid back. Thats what makes a pitbull great. They are lazy when you want to be lazy or playful and energetic when you want to be.
Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by "laid back". When I think of a laid back dog the bassett hound comes to mind. What I was trying to get across is that pits tend to be hyper and very playful - not one that just lays around all the time...at least mine doesn't.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
ALL mine are laid back. rarely ever get going. Those pics of the boys wrestling??Thats as motivated as they get!!!

They all just lay around and fart all day!!

Cato drinks outta the toilet once in awhile if the opportuity is there, Dixie mauls a stuffed animal, Daizy wiggles from point a to point b, and that is about it. They are soooo lazy, Ive never had such lazy dogs!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Well maybe mine has to do with the fact that my boxer bounces off the walls constantly & he's trying to keep up with her! :lol: Either way...neither of mine are laid back and they're constantly getting into something or playing. :D

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
My Apbt Legend is very active(11 months old) Even more when he's inside. He's got a very even temperment can tolerate and play with dogs and cats.LOVES people very friendly. I don't have a cat but he doesnt chase or even really pay attention to my friend's cats when we go over her house. I take Legend out on walks for 1-5 miles a day. Usually split up into two walks(one early morning and one mid to late afternoon). Two days out of the week we run through the trail at the park(on leash Legend likes to chase deer and has come a little to close for comfort to catching a couple if I hadnt screamed his name) and gets to swim in the creek. We play with the hose a couple times a week for 15-20 minutes. Plays with his Boomer Ball when I come home from work and the occasionally play fetch throughout the day. And runs around with his buddies Karma and Tango on weekends.And does some flirtpole every other day.Goes to obedience one 2 two days a week and will be starting agility classes soon and I've started him training him to do weight pull. and he's still very active indoors Ready for anything!....Like someone suggested maybe you could adopt a apbt. One that won't have the "zoomies" very often! lol

·
Registered
775 Posts
Miakoda said:
Too big & too bulky....must be the everchanging UKC guidelines they like to go by. Anyways, with only 1 b-witch & puppies available now with another breeding planned for this year, that really tells me a lot. PEDDLERS.
Were you the one looking for a Dog? "that really tells me a lot" Just by looking that little info, tells you a lot huh?
So what little knowledge you pick up makes you feel like you know a lot also. Tells me how much knowledge you really have. Honestly you bashing other people too make yourself look knowledgable is getting old...Almost every forum...same dull attitude. For a Vet Tech that just hold dogs for check up, you sure talk a lot of trash. You don't even have a license to diagnose a dog. What makes you think you can bash someone who'se been breeding dogs for over 25 years?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
apbtgurl26 said:
Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by "laid back". When I think of a laid back dog the bassett hound comes to mind. .
same here.

when someone says they want a laid back dog i'm thinkin something like my great pryenees/lab mix who literally lays around all day long and only likes to go for short walks..

sorry my bad

my boy is laid back too, he doesnt play with toys and he wont play with me. but he's also a handful.

i agree with whoeve mentioned adoption a mature dog from a rescue or shelter because then you know what you're gonna get, with a puppy you never know how they'll end up.
you can pick out the most sedate puppy of the litter and they can turn out to be a hyper little shit

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Miakoda said:
Take a look at www.coldsteelpits.com . These are true APBTs as they are not bred for size, color, or looks like the previous sites mentioned. However, T is a very picky lady when it comes to placing the dogs she does decide to sell....as ALL good breeders should be.
Now those dogs look like little spitfires! Very nice. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.