Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know age/sex/weight of your APBT!!! After a recent run in with some idiots it got me thinking about size/age and I'm just curious!

My Magnum is a female - 2 and a half years old - only weighs about 38 lbs :?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Think we just did this, but here it is again.

Dixie
Age 17mos
60lbs
18"tall

Sassy
15years old
50lbs(used to be about 60)
20"tall

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AllAmericanPUP said:
be happy she's only 38lbs

a correct APBT is in the 30-40lb range some are even in the 20-30 range
20-30lbs!?!??! YIKES!!! Then why is mags half if not a third of the size of most pits I see? Are there really that many people that breed them wrong!?!?!?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
20-30lbs!?!??! YIKES!!! Then why is mags half if not a third of the size of most pits I see? Are there really that many people that breed them wrong!?!?!?
YES THERE ARE!! :( Most of the "pit bulls" you see are more than likely mutts and bred by BYB's for all the wrong reasons or by irresponsible "self proclaimed" breeders :roll: that are breeding for the money to be made from puppy sales!

I'd say a "correct" APBT could still just as easily be in the 40-55 lb range. Depending on lines, parents, etc.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Boda,
Here is a site that should help:

http://www.apbtconformation.com/apbt_conformation.htm

The American Pit Bull Terrier must be both powerful and agile so actual weight and height are less important than the correct proportion of weight to height. Desirable weight for a mature male in good condition is between 35 and 60 pounds. Desirable weight for a mature female in good condition is between 30 and 50 pounds. Dogs over these weights are not to be penalized unless they are disproportionately massive or rangy.

The words correct proportion of weight to height leave too much to be interpreted and will lead to judges putting up overly massive dogs. Lets consider an average male APBT according to the standard with a height of 18.5 inches and a weight of 55 lbs. This is a proper ratio of almost 1:3. Females should rarely have ratios higher than 1:3.5. Ratios for males can climb as high as 1:4.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Mags is a perfect weight for an APBT female!! Anyone who thinks she is too small to be an APBT doesn't know what a real APBT is.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
champ
68 pounds
22 in
1 year 2 months

jasmine
8 months
20 in
51 pounds

she is in another growth spurt she has gained 7 pounds in about 2 weeks

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I think Clutch is going to be huge...His mom was average size...I think she weighed 46 lb....but his dad weighed 98lb before he died..

Clutch will be 6 months next Friday and he weighs 58lb as of last weekend....I don't know how tall he is.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OMG everyone has HUGE babies!!!! Sounds like Heaven is the only one about close to Mags' size which is funny because when I read your posts about Heaven's behaviour it sounds just like Magnum - maybe the little ones are spunkier troublemakers naturally :lol: I'm not complaining that she's so small - it just kinda shcoks me since everyone elses pups are so big!!!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
We have several APBTs (& I mean "several" :lol: ).

Anyways, our largest now is 55lbs (not conditioned) & our smallest is 28lbs with the majority of our dogs weighing in between 40 & 45lbs. Our dogs are true to standard APBTs & are working dogs so oversized lugs cannot be useful.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Miakoda said:
We have several APBTs (& I mean "several" :lol: ).

Anyways, our largest now is 55lbs (not conditioned) & our smallest is 28lbs with the majority of our dogs weighing in between 40 & 45lbs. Our dogs are true to standard APBTs & are working dogs so oversized lugs cannot be useful.
Good to hear!!! I'm glad Mags isn't some kind of midget dog :D :D How many is several!?!?!?!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Vega (left): Female, 4 years old, 58lbs.
Simone (Vega's mom): 6+ years, 50lbs.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My blue apbt is only six weeks but he looks tiny to me. He looks like a chiuahua. Is this normal to be so tiny?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Oh thank goodness. I was starting to wonder if I was lied to. Gooch is so tiny that I told my husband if he doesn't grow anymore than we can call him a pocket pit. LOL He just doesn't look like he will ever be a big dog but his personality speaks othewise!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts