Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha stupid question to ask now that nelson's almost one (yay nelson!) but i've been feeding nelson nutrience for large breed puppy for the past (almost) year and he's gonna turning the big ONE on the 31st of May so I thought it was maybe time to get him on some "big dog" food.

So I went to buy some Nutrince but they have Nutrience for Large breeds or Medium breeds.

So just wanted to know which category an AB would fall under?
Also does it really matter if i feed him Large or Medium breed food?
and should i be feeding him adult dog food now or should i continue with the puppy food?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Many people who have large breed dogs (including many breeders) never feed their dogs any type of puppy food and have them on adult food from day one.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Many people who have large breed dogs (including many breeders) never feed their dogs any type of puppy food and have them on adult food from day one.
Really why? I feed Tora puppy food am I doing her a disservice?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
angie7349 said:
Really why? I feed Tora puppy food am I doing her a disservice?
I never fed puppy food, it has too much protein. Protein makes dogs grow alot faster, so its hard on their joints, ect. Large puppy food is just a sales gimick :D

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
If you can find Giant Breed Royal Canin food, that is a realllllly good one as it is for dogs with a very long growing rate. It helps limit the growth rate since giant breed dogs normally will not stop growing until they are ~ 4 yrs of age (this is when most male American Bulldogs stop growing, females 2 yrs).

There is no need to rush your dog's growth. If your dog grows too fast, chances for future troubles are high, but not necessarily so. I wouldn't risk it though. Start early suplementation of ester C as well, from puppyhood. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
OOOOOHHHHH!!!!!! That is why she is growing SOOO fast ...You have convenced me :shock: which is no small feat,LOL, ask my other half........I am not feeding her large breed though, I am feeding her Nutro Puppy for all breeds and sizes. Does that make a difference?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
angie7349 said:
I am feeding her Nutro Puppy for all breeds and sizes. Does that make a difference?
Is your dog an american bulldog? I'm not familiar with that brand so much. Honestly though, if you are unsure, it is better to switch to a good adult food (check the sticky one level up for a list) and then supplement with ester-C. Many people will swear by this.

ps: your pup's a cutie :)

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I just read in the "Bull breed Magazine,volume 22" that you can feed you bull breed puppy food but only to 6 months of age is recommended because it is to much on there joints after that point.Before 6 months the puppy food is good because it has the extra ingredients they need.Again this is just what I read.I have Buster on Nutro Natural large breed puppy and he will be 5 months Tuesday and I will switch him to adult food when he gets to be 6 months.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Yes Tora is a an American Bulldog....

Is your dog an american bulldog? I'm not familiar with that brand so much. Honestly though, if you are unsure, it is better to switch to a good adult food (check the sticky one level up for a list) and then supplement with ester-C. Many people will swear by this.
Nutro is a good food,my Vet approved & I graded it on that list, it was the puppy or adult food that I wondering about....Can I get the supplement ester-C at pet stores or do I need to get that from my Vet?? LOL God knows that I have the chance to get from the Vet... Since Tora is growing so fast I have to take her to the Vet every month. My Vet says she needs to be weighted each month for her heartworm pills bc she can/may out grow the weight limit for the pills I have to go and get one at a time instead of just getting a 6month supply :shock: & :lol: Plus my Vet said that would give her a chance to see the vet without getting a shot and hopefully make a little more enjoyable for Tora.............That is okay she is worth it :D

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
keep calcium intake low..

Something I found on a working american bulldog forum:

Prior to the introduction of the large breed puppy foods, the recommendations tended to run towards using an adult dog food. There is
sometimes a problem with increased intake of calcium taking this approach, though. So currently, the recommendations seem to be running towards using one of the large breed puppy foods.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My "pup" Tanks is 8 months old and I am feeding him Nutro large breed puppy food, should I switch to adult food?

Jeremy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts