Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9mth old AB and he cannot be left alone b/c he gets these extreme anxienty issues when he's left alone..either that or he gets mad or whatever and eats everything! One night my sister and i went into town and came back to our couch totally destroyed. I finally had to break down and buy a kennel for him. It makes me feel like crap that he can't be left alone b/c my roomies work and i go to school full time so he is in the kennel for usually 8hrs at a time. (Yes i know that's a long time)
I've tried everything and it has come down to this. (We don't have a fenced in yard and we rent so.. AND EVERY room in our house is carpet except for the bathroom.) I've put him in there and he ate the back wall of the bathtub. That's how bad he is. He destroys everything.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has these problems and if there is any option. I really don't like leaving him in the kennel, i feel terrible. :cry: Plus, my sister has a little dog and she gets free roam around the house while he's locked up (very bad arrguments about this) b/c she behaves..what should i do? Help!

· Registered
859 Posts
nothing wrong with crateing him
its safer for him and your home
just make the crate a happy place for him
give him a treat each time he is put in

leave some toys for him to play with in there
he will come to think of the crate as his den and wont mind it at all

and 8 hours shouldnt be too bad at his age he will do fine

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He has all his toys in there..or at least his favorite ones and his blanket and food and water (although thats always upset on the blanket when i get home..lol)
He doesn't mind the crate anymore. At first he would hide because he can always sense when i'm leaving the morning, but now i say "Gator Kennel"and he marches right in.
It's just unfortunate that he has to be in the crate.

Are most bullies distructive? or maybe that's a myth i heard.

Thanks for the insight everyone! :)

· Registered
518 Posts
Crating your dog is the responsible thing to do, and I think you will find that most people on this site who know better crate their dogs. 8 hours is not too long - don't feel guilty.

· Registered
114 Posts
i really think he would be happier if you tryed to exercise him ALOT before you put him in the crate for 8 hours. it is only fair to him. try to get up early before you leave for school/work and run with him. he really needs this exercise to be happy. especially because he is a pup and has alot of energy! please exercise him! he needs it!

· Registered
4,432 Posts
SOunds to me like you have a normal AB pup. THey will anything within a 10 mile radius if they can get ahold to it. It does sound like anxienty to me , it sounds like boredom. I agree with Leanne a tired dog is a good dog

· Registered
346 Posts
I left Zeus alone downstairs for less than 10 minutes and came down to a big hole in my carpet...down to the concrete.
I work all day and keep him in a kennel for 8 hours and I don't put food or water in there...but I do put his bones and a couple of toys.
He is the most destructive dog I've ever had.....my most favorite dog but def. the most destructive. :)

· Registered
7,502 Posts
I have an almost 21 month old AB that I can not trust alone out of her crate.

Have you ever owned a dog before? What breeds?

Sounds to me that the pup is acting completely normal. In fact, if I owned an AB that was so calm at 9 months old that I could leave it alone in the house, I would be extrmely worried!! I want a dog with spunk, especially an AB. If you wanted a lazy bully, you should have got an English Bulldog. AB's are working breeds and a good one will have lots of energy and a desire to rip apart things as a puppy. Use a crate.

I see you are from Manitoba, Canada. Where did you obtain your AB and have you asked them about this?

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lisa- I am from Boissevain Mb, It's about 45 min south of Brandon if you know where that is. We got Gator from a pet store (yes i know all the horror stories..but he does have papers and we have seen pictures etc of the parents..plus the pet store is very good.) as well my boyfriends brother got an AB there too, they are brothers! :)
I have never personally owner my own dog. I am not that old :p, but when i lived on a farm with my parents we have Border Collies..and basically strays/ dogs that people couldn't look after anymore. We had a cocker spaniel, and australian shepards but mosty border collies..but never an inside dog.
I didn't necessary want a lazy dog..and actually he is pretty lazy, but he does get his fair share of exercise. (Actually my boyfriend really did originally want an english one but couldn't find them or they were redicuiously priced. Then we fell in love with Gator so the rest is history.)

Silver- Maybe i won't put food in there, i don't think that he eats it, i think he just flips it over because when i get home it's upset and all over the place. But i do put his favorite bone, kong..etc in there as well.

Angie- He does have some anxiety issues about being left alone, even if i'm hanging the clothes on the line he's crying and looking out the window. But its obvious that he's bored..i would be too being in the crate by myself.

Murphy- Thanks for the idea. I don't want to get up at 5:30 am to go for a walk but i need to walk more so i guess its a good excuse.

Thanks for the info everyone

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thor- thanks for the advice, but i think i'll stick to the excersing first and see what happends there. I don't really want to give him something but i guess if it comes down to it. He seems to be better in the kennel..because obviously he can't get out and eat things.

· Banned
529 Posts
I wouldn't leave my home without putting Bubba in his crate. Heck he even sleeps in it at night. Sometimes we have to remember that these are dogs and we run the household rather than them. If you don't want your house eatin up then you are doing the right thing.

After a while your pup will prefer to be in his crate. It is their safety zone

· Registered
12,980 Posts
So refreshing to see that we're not the only ones that come home to destroyed items! We keep Atticus in the kitchen during the day (huge kitchen), with the baby gate up. He's managed to knock the gate down two times, and I have come home to destroyed CD's/shoes/DVD's/cook books. He has a MILLION toys, but that doesn't seem to be what he wants to play with.

I'm going to try to get up earlier before work and walk him, see if we can't get that energy out. Problem is, he sleepssleepssleeps! So getting HIM up will be the task!

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cinder I can totally relate. Gator sleeps all the time! He actually is a pretty lazy bulldog. He just kind of does whatever, if you want to play he's always up for it but if you want to relax he's there hogging up the couch.
I think that from personal experience your best bet is to just get a kennel for Atticus. I kept on thinking "what if i do this"or "what if i put all this up" but it didn't matter what i put up because he always found something else to chew on. (and it doesn't help that we have carpet in our kitchen! which is stupid, but we rent lol) So, I just broke down and bought a kennel.
Plus, it is so much nicer to get home and before walking in the door thinking "ok waht did he destroy now?" it's nice to walk in and have a house the way you left it!
So i'd just get him a kennel. Gator cries a little bit when i leave but he likes in, and although he has free roam when we're home, sometimes he just likes to lay down in the kennel and chew on his bone.

· Registered
8 Posts
Kahlua was 1 when I got her and she (and I) had separation anxiety and she would tear everything up, but never the furniture. She would eat window sills, papers and cardboard is her favorite. I never had the heart to crate her, I put a doggie fence to keep her in the kitchen in case of accidents but after the 2nd day she learned to jump it (5ft high). I just put everything away and shut all the doors and left plenty of toys out. AB are very smart and need to keep busy. Lots of kongs and she is set. If you want to excersice her indoors especially when the weather is bad go to Walmart, at the checkout stand, for $2.88 by a Flex-light. It has a light and a red laserpointer. Kahlua thinks its a bug and its endless running and jumping and by God the most funny experience. It's better if you take them out at night. Thats how Kahlua gets all of her excerise, she could chase it for hours and all I have to do is wave a light around.

· Registered
492 Posts
Kahlua said:
Kahlua was 1 when I got her and she (and I) had separation anxiety and she would tear everything up, but never the furniture. She would eat window sills, papers and cardboard is her favorite. I never had the heart to crate her, I put a doggie fence to keep her in the kitchen in case of accidents but after the 2nd day she learned to jump it (5ft high). I just put everything away and shut all the doors and left plenty of toys out. AB are very smart and need to keep busy. Lots of kongs and she is set. If you want to excersice her indoors especially when the weather is bad go to Walmart, at the checkout stand, for $2.88 by a Flex-light. It has a light and a red laserpointer. Kahlua thinks its a bug and its endless running and jumping and by God the most funny experience. It's better if you take them out at night. Thats how Kahlua gets all of her excerise, she could chase it for hours and all I have to do is wave a light around.
lazer pointers can be bad for some dogs it puts them in a state of mind so they are always looking for the dot im not saying dont ever use one please just becarefull i used to use one but the dam battry died and im just to lazy to get a new one

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.