Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbors just got a Pit Bull puppy and I am concerned about my children's safety and the safety of our family pets. I don't know a lot about Bit Bulls, but what I do know I've heard from friends and from the media. I know Pit Bulls must be licensed in some cities and that breeders cannot have more than a certain number of puppies for a certain number of days in some cities.

Why does this breed have a reputation for being viscious and how concerned should I be about the dog.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I am hoping this is an honest request. I own my first pit bull, and have grown up with dogs my entire life. My pit bull (mix) is the friendliest most stable dog I have ever had, bar none.

Their bad reputation comes from a lot of different things, irresponsible owners and breed misidentification are two biggies. Dogs 'identified' as pit bulls in attacks are often not. They have an earned reputation for strength, however they are almost exclusively very affectionate to humans, unless they are abused.

Here, rather than try and explain all this check out http://www.badrap.org/rescue/myths.cfm. It is very informative.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I just noticed that you listed your pets as a concern. Pit bulls sometimes develop animal aggression (different than human aggresion). As long as the dogs, yours and theirs, are not allowed to be unsupervised or unleashed you should have little concern.

Dog agression is explained in the badrap link.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
cannon said:
however they are almost exclusively very affectionate to humans, unless they are abused.
I've heard stories from friends who do rescue. They've said that even some pits who have been badly abused still seek human affection. :cry: It just goes to show how deeply they are devoted to people.

My opinion is that pit bulls who have unprovokingly attacked humans are ones with some severe genetic anomaly that is affecting their temperament.

What I hate are when people say that pits are unpredictable and that they can attack at any time. Or when the owner of a dog who has just attacked someone says, "I don't understand. They've never been aggressive before." Those are both crap statements. I firmly believe that dogs don't spend their entire life being a well adjusted, sweet, and loving dog, and then one day just suddenly attack someone.

Aggressive behaviors manifest themselves early in a dog's life. A responsible person will have recognized these signs and consequently seek out a professional to manage these behavioral issues. If the behaviors are unable to be controlled then a responsible person will humanely put the dog to sleep.

Even in the highly publicized Faibash case, the dog had bitten the boy earlier that day. I am willing to bet anything that the dog had exhibited aggressive behaviors in the past, but unfortunately the parents did nothing about it.

Now the problem is that pit bulls are tough looking dogs, and because of their history, they get into the hands of the wrong individuals-in other words, irresponsible people. I would imagine that some irresponsible people would even encourage aggressive behavior, for whatever reason.

If I were you, I would go over to your neighbor's and get to know the puppy. If you think everything is ok, then bring your children over to socialize their puppy with young children.

Anyway, just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
If I were you, I would go over to your neighbor's and get to know the puppy. If you think everything is ok, then bring your children over to socialize their puppy with young children.
Good idea. I bet the kids gain a friend.

Don't just take our word for it. Go out and meet a few pit bulls, or talk to shelter workers and see what their opinion of them is. I am confident they will have positive things to say about the breed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Pit Bull Boxer mix (Bustah) and the only aggression he has ever showed toward people was when this guy slapped his kid, Bustah growled and showed his teeth. I don't know if it is just because my dog loves kids (I take him to the park all the time) or if this has something to do with the breed.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
In the media they may be, but in real life, they're the sweetest dogs ever placed on the face of this earth. I've owned 3, and my current one is almost 6 months old. The most they would ever do is lick you to death.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Pit bulls are more stable than most mutts out there, including most labs, and most dogs who you think WOULD be friendly. And this is the truth.

Another fact: pitbulls are bred to be non-human aggressive. Pitbulls and bulldogs are the BEST breed to own if you have children.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Well, i for one am happy that you decided to ask questions instead of just judging the
dog on rumors and media-hype!! I wish more people would be willing to get opinions from real dog owners
and REAL information on the breed.
I don't own a pit myself, but i believe all those bad stories told are made by pits who have been
owned by ignorant and abusive owners. The breed itself was created for some violent acts (against animals)
but they were also bred to love humans, they were immediatly killed if they showed any human aggression.
If the dog next door has a responsible and informed owner, i don't see any danger with you, the kids, or your animals.

The fact is, my parents shih tzu is more terrifying than any pit i know. It will draw blood!
Also i was the victim of a dog bite, and guess what it was a DALMATION! Haven't heard about those in-bred dalmations...
that dog showed me NO warning sign, just wagged his tail at me and JUMPED up, bit my face and then walked away!!

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Kudos to you for coming here and asking questions instead of just asssuming all the hype of the media. I think if you stick around and do some reading you will be pleasantly suprised. I have two small children and have owned 2 pitbulls and one pitbull mix around them. And I would own one again if given the opportunity!

Visit the site mentioned before and you will learn loads of FACTS about these wonderful animals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts