Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to English bulldogs. I did my reszearch and then decided to find a reputable breeder. I found one I was pleased with and who'
s references spoke highly of. I paid $3000 for an 8 week old male bulldog (supposedly show quality). I took the puppy in for his 1st vet checkup and the vet loved the dog but informed us that it could never be shown because of its toes. The 1st and 5th toes are splayed out and the nails do not make contact with the ground. They will have to be cut to keep short and stubby according to the breed standards. Was I taken advantage of for the money I paid or was the vet wrong in what he was saying? Please help me? I love the dog but definitely did not want to pay $3000 for a companion. I wanted to show him. :?:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey Pmarco , I would post this in another section or have a moderator move it since this is the Dog Memorial's section not sure how many people might view it . Either the Breeder's or General section would probably be good .

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Nobody answered you on this, not sure why.
I don't know much about the EB breed standard so I headed over to the AKC site and found this:

Feet--The feet should be moderate in size, compact and firmly set. Toes compact, well split up, with high knuckles and short stubby nails. The hind feet should be pointed well outward.
It sounds like they are supposed to be split apart, if not I would definately try to bring that breeder to court
for "selling property that wasn't the quality you were promised" and try to get some sort of partial refund.
Hopefully you have something stating that the dog was sold under the title of show quality. There is a difference
between show quality and show potential. Show quality means that it perfectly fits the standard, generally the puppy
isn't titled this until about a year old. Show potential means that he is looking pretty close but there's no promise.

You never know what quality your pup is until they grow up (which is why you never see small puppies in the show ring).
Look here for more bulldog AKC stuff http://www.akc.org/breeds/bulldog/index.cfm

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
He is a chubby little round bellied puppy, right?? The toes will be splayed until he gets big enough to adjust to his weight accordingly. Im no EB expert, frankly, I dont know anything about them, but having puppies (many) I know that up until recently, this is how my fat little pups toes looked. They are just now starting to look proper. They are growing taller.And the weight is more proportionate.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not sure what organization you are planning to show under, but according to AKC rules, your dog may only be disqualified if it meets the criteria of the "disqualifying faults" portion of the breed standard, exhibiting a spayed/neutered dog, exhibiting an agressive dog, or for unsportsmanly like conduct by the handler.

If splay toes are not "correct" your dog may not win over a dog with more "correct" toes. Also keep in mind you have a puppy and their bodies are changing very quickly, he may eventually have correct feet!

Best of luck to you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts