Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
21 - 40 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
backyard breeders

I understand what attitude and kate are saying and it's the truth tomany dogs are bred by people trying to get a buck but my question is who should breed dogs then. :?

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
jack dempsey said:
in a word, yes!.... my real question is why is it Ok to mix breeds/races and sexes in people but not in Dogs?
How many "mixed breed" people get euthanized because there is an overpopulation of them, or because no one wants them? Why do people compare dogs to people like this???

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
There's a big difference between abortion and euthanizing a live person. Some people can't seem to get this through their heads, so I'll caps lock it: "DOGS ARE NOT PEOPLE!!! PEOPLE ARE NOT DOGS!!! QUIT COMPARING THEM!!!"

If you don't feel that backyard breeding is even a little bit wrong, I doubt there's anything anyone here can say to change your mind.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree that breeding should be left to professionals, but in the grand skeme of things it ain't that big a deal..Sorry
I was not comparing Dogs to people only that some People seem to value Dogs more than Humans, Which I think is mentally ill. They are Animals. Animals which get killed, slaughtered and put down everyday.. so what

If a complete stranger ie you and m beloved dog where drowning and I only could save one of you, I would save you the Human. Yes even if it were a stranger or better yet my enemy. Would you do the same for me.. I think not.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
jack dempsey said:
I agree that breeding should be left to professionals, but in the grand skeme of things it ain't that big a deal..Sorry
I was not comparing Dogs to people only that some People seem to value Dogs more than Humans, Which I think is mentally ill. They are Animals. Animals which get kill slaughter and put down everyday.. so what
somehow I think I like dogs much more than people, but hey thats just me.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
jack dempsey said:
I was not comparing Dogs to people only that some People seem to value Dogs more than Humans, Which I think is mentally ill. They are Animals. Animals which get killed, slaughtered and put down everyday.. so what

If a complete stranger ie you and m beloved dog where drowning and I only could save one of you, I would save you the Human. Yes even if it were a stranger or better yet my enemy. Would you do the same for me.. I think not.
I disagree that backyard breeding "it ain't that big a deal." No, I don't think it's AS big a deal as human suffering, but it's still a big deal. Animals deserve to be treated with respect as well. I would never say, "Well, that animal getting beaten by his owner down the street is no big deal because somewhere someone is beating his kids, and that's much worse." It all sucks.

I'm with Cookies Mom. I like dogs much better than I like most people.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That is absolutley wonderful that you posted that! My neighboor and I got in an argument because she had to two dogs male and female two completely different breeds(a pitbull and a Malamute) she thought they would make unusual and cute puppies. Well I told her that every puppy she had just breeded would take a home away from one good dog that needs one. And because the pitbull would have been the mother she might have died becasue giving birth to a littler of Malamute puppies that might have killed her because they are such a bigger breed! I mean this Mal was humungous! I mean it so finally I convinced her to spay or nueter one or both of them! Next day I found out she gave them to the pound. After that she bought three siamese kittens and some others and started breeding them. And now the whole half of our neighboorhood doesn't like us. Right now atleast five years after that incident and about 50 cats she still hates my household and continues with her breeding and killing of the kittens!

I have adopted one cat from her, that was all I could support because I have three cats right now and three dogs! We have also called so many people that wont do anything about it.

Anyway I wish someone would sponsor a commercial with that artical in it.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
MissyTootse said:
My neighboor and I got in an argument because she had to two dogs male and female two completely different breeds(a pitbull and a Malamute)

My ex-boyfriend has a pit bull/Malamute mix. It was an unintentional breeding. His friend left his female pit bull outside on a tie-out while she was in heat. Lovely, huh?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Back yard breeders

You guys are crazy....We have 4 wonderful EBD...we love them to bits...

We are "backyard breeders" - and our pup's love us and we love them. They have pup's - we take EXCELLANT care of them - and oh my god- we are terrorist's - we make money...

You treat us as criminals yet you cannot really find a better environment (in our situation)...I think u should quit being so judgemental.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Re: Back yard breeders

hortoristic said:
You guys are crazy....We have 4 wonderful EBD...we love them to bits...

We are "backyard breeders" - and our pup's love us and we love them. They have pup's - we take EXCELLANT care of them - and oh my god- we are terrorist's - we make money...

You treat us as criminals yet you cannot really find a better environment (in our situation)...I think u should quit being so judgemental.
Just because you treat your dogs well and provide a nice enviornment isn't a good reason to breed! I bet almost each and every one of us here treat our dogs well and provide them with a nice "enviornment". What would happen if we all decided to breed just so we could make a few extra bucks? Call me crazy but at least I don't need to use my dogs as a source of extra income!

·
Registered
8 Posts
BYB

But the question becomes - "Have you ever made money off your pups" - notwithstanding that you have many out-going expenses. I have paid many hundreds of dollars to vets for problems - but I act immediately.

Please explain why I'm so terrible that I take great care of my pets, who have pups, that I sell to others? Using your logic - I should "invest money" so that I can insure others have an opportunity to have these great pups for free! A couple of you breeders on this board "did NOT give me our puppies for free" - 'YOU CHARGED ME" - do I hate you for it - absolutely not - I sincerely appreciate you going to all the trouble you had to - to enable our family and other familes to get to know such a wonderful breed.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Re: BYB

hortoristic said:
Please explain why I'm so terrible that I take great care of my pets, who have pups, that I sell to others?
There are so many dogs out there in shelters already, that are pure bred like the dogs you are producing. Why add to the over population unless you are bettering the breed. If you health test and prove your dogs worthy of making pups, then I don't consider you a byb. But if you just breed pet dogs that have no health testing then you are just helping that many more dogs get put down in the shelters

·
Registered
8 Posts
byb

I highly doubt someone that has paid $2,000 is going to let their pup go to the shelter. What we have found is MOST ppl aren't all concerned about bloodline as much as just being AKC papered. A lot don't even care about the AKC part either. The fact is it costs a lot for the insemination, regular vet checks, shots, c-section and the rest - so they don't come into the world very cheap.

I have adopted many excellent dogs and cats from shelters - however when I wanted a Bulldog - I paid nearly $2,000 for 4 seperate folks on this board, for each one I purchased. I chose to pay this verses the $65 pet from shelter.

I know this will prob get into a heated discussion as others check their emails. Last time I brought it up I had people swearing and nearly threatening me! Every one of you "professional" breeders out there started somewhere - and in the begining probably fit the criteria of a BYB.

21 - 40 of 134 Posts