Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
41 - 60 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Why not health test though? That helps better the breed, only breeding ones that will pass on good genes.

·
Registered
132 Posts

New postPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:21 am Post subject: BYB Reply with quote
But the question becomes - "Have you ever made money off your pups" - notwithstanding that you have many out-going expenses. I have paid many hundreds of dollars to vets for problems - but I act immediately.

Please explain why I'm so terrible that I take great care of my pets, who have pups, that I sell to others? Using your logic - I should "invest money" so that I can insure others have an opportunity to have these great pups for free! A couple of you breeders on this board "did NOT give me our puppies for free" - 'YOU CHARGED ME" - do I hate you for it - absolutely not - I sincerely appreciate you going to all the trouble you had to - to enable our family and other familes to get to know such a wonderful breed.

Its not that its because you shouldnt bring more animals into the world we already have a LOT of homeless pets if you want to take good care of something adopt. And If you want to make money of of your pets try showing them!

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
BYB is an inappropriate term for unethical breeders

Someone really needs to come up with a new name for bad breeders, puppy pedlers, one time 'breed mah bitch before she gets fixed" type people.

"Backyard Breeder"???

Come on, most if not ALL breeders have their kennels on their property. That term is very misleading, if you go by what the term actually means (kennel in your backyard), EVERY BREEDER would be considered a BYB, unless their kennel was off on some other property, which really makes no sense because you have to keep close care of your breeding stock.

CHANGE NAME TO SOMETHING MORE SUITABLE PLEASE :!:

for the sake of all ethical + experienced breeders. Who the heck coined this term anyhow?

/ end rant

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I was very confused by this term when I first joined the forum and had to ask many many questions before I really understood what everyone was talking about. I was like .... what is the big deal about them being in the back yard? :wink: :lol:

EDIT: I want to add that I do understand alot now because of this forum and the knowlegeable ones here are to thank for it. I think alot of minds have been changed by coming here and learning together......

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Rachel Zugg said:
I was very confused by this term [byb] when I first joined the forum...
Oh yeah trust me, it confuses tons of people when they hear the term byb. The term is a really crappy one imho, and should be scrapped for something more suitable.

And yes, lots of good knowledgeable folk on this forum :)

My only real complaint about this forum is the trigger-happiness of the flamers LOL...quickdraw :twisted:

But yes, again, change the term BYB to something more suitable, whoever coined the term, cos the term doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
634 Posts
lee i look at it this way at some part and time people who breed are back yord breeders but u got to start some were i breed for 2 reasons im asked to my dog win at shows 2nd if im going to kkep this dog it needs to earn its keep vet bill dog food supplements are expencive most of the money i get from a litter goes right back to the dogs i stock up on foor pay my vet in advance frontline ect do u see what im saying

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
That is pure BS. Doing breeding the RIGHT way never EARNS anyone money. You breed to better the breed, not to make a dog "earn it's keep".

·
Registered
886 Posts
msvette2u said:
That is pure BS. Doing breeding the RIGHT way never EARNS anyone money. You breed to better the breed, not to make a dog "earn it's keep".
Well that is your opinion, many breeders doing it the "right" way can possibly make a profit on a litter, doesnt matter if that money goes back into the dogs. You can not tell me people selling dogs for around 2 grand dont make any money at all on a successful liter.

·
Registered
634 Posts
i make more than 2gs on a litter but between vet bills and food and my time i really dont make that much i just lost my job sometime back and if it wasnt for my dogs i would have lost my house truck and every thins else i own

41 - 60 of 134 Posts