Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished seeing a video of Assistance dog program that helps cerebal palsy afflicted people. Great dogs.

One of the selection criteria I find interesting was

12 weeks old pup. Placed RIGHT in front of 4 baloons. The trainer pops the balloon and sees the dog's reaction. I wonder why they do that?

Pet, assistance, working dog. They all need good nerves. Now I choose to use a starter pistol. but the premise is the same.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
It's amazing that even at that age you can tell what their temperament is like.Better than wasting time training a dog that won't work out. It's ok for the dogs to startle but they must recover quickly? Is that the idea?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I must say that I figured my own dogs would startle at something as loud as a gun shot. They didn't, not even the 7 month old Schauzer. Their reaction to the shot really did shock me, but I'm not sure why. I was more affected by it than they were. :lol:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
recovery is the key.

When they hear it for the first time, naturally, they are startled. However, the ones that passed the test were quickly back to normal and curious, running around playing, once more.

Imagine if an assistance dog was messed up for minutes (or hours) when it heard a car that backfired or out with his/her owner when a door slammed in front of them.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Great information Peter. I am sure there are many people here that never realized how strict some of these organizations are in terms of a dog having the correct TEMPERAMENT. I hope it was an eye opener to some. Some people are so hung up on look, size, colour, marking etc that they don't even consider the temperament of a dog. To me that is the most important thing...pet, working dog whatever, a dog with a good nerve base is a must.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.