Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

I am about to purchase a 6 week old puppy. Unfortunately, when the puppy is just 8 weeks old, I will have to go out of state for 4 days for a wedding. I have a very close friend who could watch the puppy for me, but she has a 6-year-old Chihuahua. Is it okay for a young puppy to be around another dog? I've heard different things...

My other concern is: do you think it would be traumatic for me to leave the puppy with my friend for 4 days when I've only had her for 2 weeks myself? Or would I be better off asking the breeder to keep her for an additional 2 weeks, and just pick up the puppy from the breeder after my trip?

Of course, I want to get her ASAP, and I really don't want to have to wait 2 more weeks, but ultimately I want to do whatever is best for the puppy!

I would really appreciate any advice!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Honestly, I would suggest, and I'm sure several others here will say the same thing - that you wait and get the pup after the 8 wks. I believe it's better for the pup to be with it's mother for at least 8 wks - it helps them with their socializing and bonding skills. :D

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I'd highly suggest picking up your puppy after you get back from your trip. The extra couple of weeks socialization with the momma dog and littermates will be of great benefit to your puppy. I know it seems hard to wait, but it will be well worth it in the end. And 8-week-old puppies aren't THAT much bigger than 6-week-old puppies, so you'll still get the whole "TINY PUPPY! YAY!" experience. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that 6 weeks is pretty young - I was actually surprised because the norm with breeders seems to be at least 8 weeks of age.

I totally agree with the socialization part -- the only thing is, all of her littermates will be going to their new homes at 6 weeks of age, so she would be the only pup left. And I'm not sure how much bonding she does with the mom now (she was the runt of the litter and was bottlefed). So is it still important for her to stay the additional 2 weeks even if all her siblings are gone?

I guess I could ask the breeder to make sure that she spends bonding time with mom during those 2 weeks so she's not sad and lonely without her brothers and sisters.

Thanks for everyone's opinions...I really appreciate them!!! :D

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
What made you choose a breeder that would let all of the puppies go to their new homes at 6 weeks of age? Barring some kind of crisis (like the momma dog being deathly ill or becoming excessively aggressive to the pups), a responsible breeder would never let them go so early. Were you intending to buy a puppy from a responsible breeder, or were you specifically going the backyard breeder route? I'm just asking because it sucks to be mislead if you thought you were buying from an ethical, responsible breeder!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do want to know about this breeder, so if you have any information you want to share (publicly or privately) I would REALLY appreciate it!

From what I've read (on the internet) it seems like this breeder DOES have a good reputation.
There seem to be a good number of people on this site who have gotten puppies from this breeder.

The breeder is Dog Bluff Bulldogges in South Carolina.

Do you know anything about them???

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I've never heard of that breeder, but I'm not really familiar with specific breeders in general. I'm just getting red flags when you say that ALL of the puppies will be going to their new homes at 6 weeks of age. Physically, they're old enough to eat on their own and whatnot, but mentally, they really need the interaction with their mother and littermates. Puppies that leave the mother and their littermates that soon tend to have issues later on down the road, such as shyness or fear aggression depending on the underlying genetics. We got Bella at 6 1/2 weeks (way too early), and she is starting to show signs of fear aggression that the pups in the litter who stayed longer than 8 weeks are not showing.

Just because a lot of people have bought dogs from this breeder, doesn't make them a good breeder. Actually, most ethical, well-respected breeders have very few litters (and don't breed to sell dogs, but rather to improve the breed) and thus very few dogs out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.