Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking about breeding our English Bulldog. She has had 2 heat cycles so far, and she turned 2 in March. What is the recommended age to breed?

Also are bulldogs able to breed naturally, or do they have to be artificially inseminated?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Honestly it doesn't matter how old your dog is, if you have to ask these question you are not ready to breed her.
Search the forum, there are tons of posts about breeding.
My suggestion is go out and start showing and training your dog, get to know some experienced breeders and learn from them before you breed. :wink:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have to agree with the others. You should not breed if you do not know the answers to these questions. But, Yes 99% of EB's have to be AI'd and to top that they require a c-section too. It costs thousands of dollars to have an EB litter. It is definately better to leave this to the experts. It is a difficult thing to have a litter by any breed of dog, but even more so from an EB. If it were me I would just spay her and love her as your family pet. By the way, she sure is a cutie :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry guys.....

I can tell I've hit on a "sore subject"....and I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone.

You are absolutely correct.....I am not ready to breed at this point in time (nor do I know for sure that I even want too). I am a fairly new bulldog owner, and I just wanted more information on the subject. That's how you learn things, by asking, is it not? I've successfully bred Boxers years ago....but just didn't know about this particular breed.

Someone suggested I get to know experienced breeders....and that's a great idea, but unfortunately there are not many bulldog owners in my area.

I will search the forum to read more about this subject. I'm sorry I didn't do a "search" before posting the question.

So please.......I ask that no one else respond to my post. I'm a new member of this board, and I don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
iluvmypet said:
We are thinking about breeding our English Bulldog. She has had 2 heat cycles so far, and she turned 2 in March. What is the recommended age to breed?

Also are bulldogs able to breed naturally, or do they have to be artificially inseminated?
I hope you have an asbestos suit...

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Chrisnjen said:
iluvmypet said:

I hope you have an asbestos suit...

:laughing5: :laughing6:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Breeding dogs is not that big of a deal but if you want to get good at it you will have to really dig in and do your homework, start by checking out some shows and talk to the breeders about their dogs, your dog, pedigrees, health concerns, finding homes etc... it is really really enjoyable, I absolutely love every aspect of breeding dogs. I don't even mind picking up the poop!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.