Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new here but have a few questions.

I got Horus 3 weeks ago he is a wonderful pup that shows no signs of dog aggression and doesn't even flinch if a strange dog comes running up to him. We had a doxi come running up trying to bite his hind legs and he didn't do anything. I would like him to stay this way but know that often with Bullies they start to show signs of aggression at a certain age. Can someone tell me at what age this is? Does it make a difference if they are neutered at a young age? He was neutered at 8 weeks old.

He goes to the dog park once a week is this often enough to keep him well socialized with other dogs?

Also does anyone know at what age they hike their leg? Horus is close to 6 months now and still squats. LoL I could careless if he never lifts his leg but thought it was odd for a male not to by this age. LoL

Thanks so very much.
Amber

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
AmberLove said:
Hi,
I would like him to stay this way but know that often with Bullies they start to show signs of aggression at a certain age. Can someone tell me at what age this is? Does it make a difference if they are neutered at a young age? He was neutered at 8 weeks old.
Sometimes bullies will never have agression issues, but if they are going to, it will be very well known by the age of 2 if not before. They are usually fully matured by that age.
He goes to the dog park once a week is this often enough to keep him well socialized with other dogs?
Many people including me don't believe in dog parks. It is not NECESSARY to socialize your dog with other dogs, esepcailly when you already have one at home. I don't agree with them because they are so uncontroled and unpredictable. And it may never be your dogs fault but if some dog starts something with your dog, your dog will finish. And no matter how much control you have over your dog, you and other owners have no control over other dogs. I took my chances with Kate and took her there until she started showing signs of dominance and agression. then we stopped immediately. On the other hand, some bullys do fine in dog parks their whole life. I leave it in your hands whether you keep going or not. But remember, no matter how much you think you know your dog, it is a dog, and can be unpredictable at times. So please answer the question, is it really worth the risk?

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I agree with Kate, as most people on here will. Dog parks are NOT a good idea. Too much potential for disaster. Especially for a bully breed.

Chopper is a little over a year and he only lifts his leg to pee when we're out on walks and feels he needs to let others know he been there! LOL He always squats in our yard.

My AB started to show signs of aggression at around 8mos to a year I think. He's a very dominant dog and not aggressive per se. But we have to be very, very careful with him. If a dog approaches and he feels challenged, it's on! We make a point to keep him away from other dogs. (except our own, which he gets along great with, as long as they remember he's the boss! LOL :lol: )

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I guess every dog is different. Heaven started dog aggression very young. She was about 7 mos old. She does great with puppies, and is sometimes submissive to BIGGER dogs, but she will carry on like a maniac whenever she's near another dog (other than Koa or dogs she knows). Koa is almost 8 mos old now, and he's not really dog aggressive yet, but he's learning from Heaven. I really hate that he's picking up her bad habits. He always seems to bark just because she's barking. I think if I had him alone, he'd still be the great big ol' puppy who just wants to play.

In general I think I've noticed most dogs on here "turn" dog aggressive in their first year of life, but definitely not all. Chico.Heidi has 2 AB's and her dogs react beautifully around strange dogs. You just have to always be aware of the possibility. I never take my dogs anywhere where there will be other dogs, until I can learn to control them. My dogs need some serious obedience training before we can go out in public and not cause a big scene.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kate Thank you so very much so I have a ways to go and watch out for aggression.

I never thought of the park in that way. They are kind of new here. I have never taken Kamali due to her freaking when another dog runs at her. She isn't dog aggressive really it is only when they run at her. If they walk up nice she is all wiggles and ready to play. She is 2 years old so now I know I don't have to worry about her. WOO HOO!! :)

Kasco thanks I will not be taking him again. I do not want to risk it.

I had to laugh at Chopper he is such a big boy and to think of him squatting made me giggle. Sorry.

Horus is not dominant at all he is more submissive at this time. I am hoping he stays this way. He loves everyone and everything at this point and is pretty good with all the kitties. If one of the kitties make a noise he runs. LoL Then Kamali gets in there and will make sure "her" babies are ok. LoL

LuvaBULL thanks I take Horus for walks all the time and so far he doesn't even acknowledge that their is a dog if it barks at him. The way he acts you would swear he was deaf. LoL He just keeps trucking along at my side.

I always have full control of my dogs. I use a gentle leader power steering for dogs. LoL I will not walk them on anything else. I do not feel that I am in control.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Worth the risk?

Dogs are like people no two are the same. It has been my experience that if you are able to observe the mother and fathers interaction with each other/other dogs/people, you can get a pretty good read of how the puppy might be. But keep in mind this will only give you a clue. The puppy's home environment will be different than their parents, and will go a long way in establishing their behavior and personality. Dogs are very smart and pick up on their families treatment of other people and animals. I believe this is so many dogs act like their owners.
We have been extremely lucky with Josie. My Wife and a I are convinced she is one of those once in a life time dogs. She has all the pluses of both parents. She has her mothers muscle structure and her fathers loving eye's and out going personality. She loves people and animals although they don't all share her exuberance. She is equally at home playing or snuggling for hours.
You have the responsibility to exercise good judgement based on the situation. Based on the breed history and the prejudice running rampant through this country it is not wise to take chances. We always try to error on the side of caution. We can not control the way someone else's dog behaves, But we can put our dog in a situation that increases the chances they will behave. I refuse to be the "Weakest Link" responsible for encouraging more BSL.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I had to laugh at Chopper he is such a big boy and to think of him squatting made me giggle. Sorry.
That's ok, i'll just be sure not to tell him you laughed. :-# :wink:

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I don't believe in dog parks either. BUT if you were to go to one, make sure to walk your dog for about 45 min atleast before you go. A lot of people make the mistake of bringing there dog to the park as an exuse to get out of the walk. Unfortunately, a lot of other owners don't know that and there dog's will start fights because there dog has all this energy in them and then when they let it loose, BOOM, dog fight starts happening.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Dog parks are a bad idea especially with bullys. You can socialize all you want and it isnt necessarily going to prevent your dog from becoming dog aggressive. I socialize my girl with other dogs but only while on lead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts