Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 month old puppy swallowed one of my socks today with unbelievable speed. Should I be worried?? I've had problems with other items in the past...but not sure how this will "pass" over. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
my goodness.... how do they manage to eat a whole sock?????

im not sure what to do. but i'd love to know if anyone else has any ideas.......
i get worried when patch swallows a little bit of his pigs ear and coughs a little......
if he ate a sock, i'd probably take him to the vet...

but i'm paranoid...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,010 Posts
Yes you do need to be careful as it could cause a blockage.
Keep an eye on him and if he is having any problems take him
to the vet immediately, and to be honest I would probably take him anyway.
Better to be safe than sorry..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,560 Posts
some dogs can pass stuff like that and others cant.

Some other people on here know some things you can give him that will coat the sock in order for it to pass better

Signs of a blockage to look for (this is when he cant pass it): Throwing up his food not too long after he eats it; not as playful; sleepings more; his poo is getting soft and eventually not pooping at all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice, I fed him the tuna this morning...he has been eating, and going to the bathroom fine...just no sock yet. Also he has not been getting sick at all. I'll keep you posted, hopefully it will not be too much longer (almost 24 hours so far).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
Some dogs may automatically vomit objects (like socks) up within a day or two of eating them..others will pass them, and others may form a blockage. I would suggest you give a quarter to half cup of vegetable oil as a lubricant and wait to see if it passes. If you notice your dog being lethargic, vomiting, dehydrated,depressed, etc...take to the vet ASAP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,279 Posts
Buster had eaten two two socks whole
he threw them up the next day one in the am and one in the pm
I was lucky he did.Just keep a VERY close eye on him/her to make
sure there isn't a blockage which could be deadly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,560 Posts
Kate had ate a whole pair of underwear once. I didn't know it. She was throwing up for a week solid before she decided it was time for the underwear to come up on the drive from NY to Iowa. but they had definitly caused blockage from the stomache to the intestine, I'm just lucky they didnt get into the intestine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
LOL thats so cute! how did he eat a whole sock! even an ankle sports sock is huuuge. what puppies can't do huh? what are they trying to prove? :lol:

nelson's never eating anything thats not food before. One of my friends babysat a friends bullmastiff pup once and my friend spotted what looked like a piece of string hanging out of Ollie's butt and so he thought he should pull it out. after pulling for a bit the whole thing came out and he saw that ollie had swallowed his mums red thong!

hope your pup's ok and if he poops out the sock, honestly you've gotta take a photo of it and post it!
maybe he hasn't eaten the sock at all and he was just trying to impress you. did u see it go down?

on the serious side tho, i hope he's ok if not i'm sure a quick visit to the vet will clear things up. good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well...He started getting sick yesterday, so I took him to the Vet right away. X-rays showed a blockage in his small intestines. They operated last night and removed the sock...trust me you don't want to see a picture. Haa, anyway thanks for all the advice. Chops is home and doing very well now!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,560 Posts
I'm glad you caught it before it got toooo serious. I'm sorry he had to have surgery though.

One thing to keep in mind, if you know he eats something that will be very hard to digest, within 24 hours of him eating it... You can give him hydrogen peroxide with make him throw up.

I had to do this once with Kate when she ate a batting glove. Everything I read said give 1 tablespoon per 10 lbs. That would have been 6 tablespoons!!! Which I thought was way too much. So I mixed 3 tablespoons Hydrogen peroxide with 3 tablespoons water and put it in her mouth little bits at a time. Hung out outside with her and about 5 min later she started throwing up and eventually threw up the whole batting glove.

One reason I only gave her three tablespoons also is because you want to make sure they throw up all of the hydrogen peroxide so it does not stay in their body
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top