Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pitbull mix Atheena is in heat and i want to know how long does this heat thingy last. I dont intend to breed her and i live in Jamaica where fixing ur fog aint no cheap affair. Anyways right now i have her locked up in her kennel cause i dont want any lame dogs jumping her. she has never been locked up so she aint taking to the idea of being stucked in a cage.

By the way she just about to turn 1 year old isnt it way too early for her to be in heat :?:

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
1 yr old is not too late for a heat... I got Kate spayed at 9-10 months and she hadnt had one yet. It all depends on the dog.

But theres another topic around here somewhere that relates to your question. I did a quick search and couldnt find anything right away. But if I remmeber correctly, a heat will last around 21 days give or take, again all depending on the dog

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Kate said:
. . But if I remmeber correctly, a heat will last around 21 days give or take, again all depending on the dog
IF you are lucky!! Dixies heat lasted over 30 days each time!! It sucks, we had to keep her locked up as well. They do make doggy pads and diapers for them, but they shred them if they get the chance! Or maybe a pair of boys underwear on backwards so the tail pokes through the fly........Is she an outside dog??

And I beleive you said isnt 1 yr too early? Sorry if I am wrong about your question, but dogs can start heat anywhere from 6 months on.Dixie had hers at 6 months.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Roxy was at 6mths, she bled for 7 days. She wore knickers lol bless her. It seems unfair to have her cage. Can you buy sprays to help cover the scent a bit?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It was not only the scent w/ Dixie, she bled like a stuck pig. She swelled like a bowling ball . I even took her to the vet because I have never seen anything like it. He assured me that some females are like that, and unless you want to cover your floor and furniture w/ plastic wrap(lol) the cage was the only option!

Of course in the afternoons she got to spend literally hours outside playing, but in the day it was the crate.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
The estrous cycle can be divided into 4 stages:

1. Proestrus: This stage begins with the appearance of vaginal bleeding. It normally lasts
from 4 to 9 days. Male dogs become very interested in the female; however, she will not
yet mate with them.

2. Estrus: This is the stage in which the female will accept the male and conception can
occur. The vaginal discharge is more yellowish than bloody. Ordinarily, the stage lasts
for 4 to 13 days. Your female will stand still and hold her tail to the side when you touch
her back or a male dog tries to mount.

3. and 4. Metestrus and anestrus: These 2 stages are periods of ovarian activity, but with
no significant outward signs. False pregnancies frequently occur during metestrus.

Some Important Points

* You should consider your pet to be "in season" for 21 days: 7 days coming into heat,
7 days in heat, 7 days going out. Though conception is most likely during the middle
7 days, Mother Nature doesn't always follow the rules. Confine your pet for the entire
3 weeks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx

thanx for the replies. i'm gona try the kids undies and just keep her in the cage. i guess its one of those things that u just got to deal with.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Neener said:
ALPHAMALE said:
The estrous cycle can be divided into 4 stages:
[snip]
I don't mean to be a drag, but it's common online courtesy to link to the the page from where you copied info. ;)
Pet peeve of mine. (I have some articles online that I have written, and people do it all the time.)

http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/Pdogsheatcycle.HTM
Online is WAY different than writing a book. I copy and paste links and portions of articles all the time. It's like common property on the internet. But, I understand where you're coming from.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Amocat00 said:
Online is WAY different than writing a book.
That's why I wrote "common online coutesy". :)
It's somebodys work. It's the decent thing to do.

I copy and paste links and portions of articles all the time. It's like common property on the internet. But, I understand where you're coming from.
Copying and pasting links ain't no thang. But if you copy portions of articles, you should (imo) post the link to where you got it from.
Somebody wrote it, and they should be acknowledged. Even if it isn't really a big deal.

The link I gave, which has the information on the heat cycle that was posted, is even copyrighted. It may not matter to most people, but still.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
Neener said:
I don't mean to be a drag, but it's common online courtesy to link to the the page from where you copied info. ;)
Pet peeve of mine.
LOL :lol: YA sorry i forget where i got it from ! its saved on my desck top in mic word ! :wink: chillax ! :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts