Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that my dog doesnt really respect my sister. When she is out trying to play ball with her, holly will either jump right at her or run to the ball and then jump and try to bite her sleeve/arm.
But when I come out and have the ball in my hand 2 minutes later, holly sits down and tries to give me paw and acts good. I frequently do obediance with her. My sister doesnt do that and whenever holly barks or whines, she will come pay attention to her or take her for a walk. Would the best option be to have my sis just do obediance in the yard until holly learns to respect her? We get a free obediance class in a month (holly "failed" the first one and they thought she was cute so we got a freebie). Or is this something that has already been set, holly seeing herself as a dominate figure over her.

Spelling and grammer are not my friends today.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Sounds like Holly has learned that she can get away with anything around your sister. I don't really think it's a lack or respect or dominance thing. Dogs are opportunistic; they take advantage of situations when they can, like being able to get away with bad behavior around certain people. Holly just doesn't see it as necessary to obey your sister, so she doesn't. I think getting your sister involved in obedience sessions with Holly would really help out a lot. Have her make Holly work for attention/affection and walks and other things she wants by performing commands first. Your sister needs to stop spoiling Holly if she wants to project an aura of leadership! :)

·
Super Moderator
16,018 Posts
Yeah, I think she thinks of your sister as an equal playmate/teemmate (just another dog) I do not see anything wrong with that as long as when the game ends so does the rough house and equal play and your sister is back into an authoratative role. Holly sees you as the coach or captain of the team, so she sits and listens for instruction on the next game. When Clara is playing a little rough outside and I want them to end it and come in I make a sweeping signel using my hands to my chest and then push them way out and to the side and saying at the same time THAT'S IT - GAMES OVER. They stop settle down and come in. The rule of the house is there is NO ROUGH HOUSE in the house. If they start to get rowdy, I tell them to lay down or take the rowdy outside. They always do one or the other. Just always follow through on the rules you have set up. If you forget - so will she.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is the exact same problem that I had with Obi and my stepchildren. We would be in the garden playing ball and he'd be fine with me however as soon as one of the kids picked the ball up or even moved off the seat they were sat on he would bite at their sleeves, bums, jumpers. This was so worrying for me as he is a big puppy and overpowered them in a shot. I immediately stopped play when this happened, put Obi back in the house and continued playing out with the kids.

Eventually Obi stopped doing this to the kids as long a they weren't too boisterous when running about in the garden, now they can throw the ball and play out with him. I think he finally figured out that if he plays rough with him he loses out on playtime too.

Not much advice I can give other than stop play as soon as your dog starts this behaviour.

Fee x x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts