Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiance got some baby powder to put on dog to make him smell good..even after a bath she says he still smells.. lol I dunno but before I let her do it I want to know will this hurt my bullie?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Obelisk said:
My fiance got some baby powder to put on dog to make him smell good..even after a bath she says he still smells.. lol I dunno but before I let her do it I want to know will this hurt my bullie?
Yes, it can. If it contains TALC it can hurt the lungs over a period of time, just as it has been proven on humans/babies. Talc is actual shavings (very small) from a rock/mineral and microscopically they are sharp. They get get embedded in yours and your bullies lungs.

I found this out when my second sin was born. He was asthmatic and the talcom powder always set him off.

Although it will smother fleas, maybe you can look for a different substance to use, there are "powders" that list no "talc". Maybe this is the one she got.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you soo much for that tip.. I think she got normal powder but she'll be going back to petsmart to get a powder with no talc.. I think he smells good after a bath but she's real picky with smells..oh well she might just have to try and cope with it

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
You can use powder on EB's to dry their tail pocket and facial wrinkles. Is use it everyday on Bear's tail pocket because he has such a tight corkscrew. I gets damp under there and when I don't use the powder and clean it with baby wipes he starts doing the butt itch on the floor.

I've also read a lot about using on EB's facial wrinkles to keep them dry and prevent infection but Bear gives me a hard time cleaning them. Everyone once in a while though I try to get them with powder.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I think I'd use talcom powder (sparingly) as opposed to baby powder as baby powder has fragrance in it that may irritate the skin.

Then again, babies' skin is pretty sensitive so maybe that's not something you need to worry about :p.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this may sound dumb but is the tail pocket just the area underneath his tail? After he does his business I usually take a wipe and wipe him anyways just to make sure but I dont want to miss cleaning an area though

·
Super Moderator
16,010 Posts
Johnson and Johnson makes a cornstarch baby powder - talc free. This can be ingested in small amounts and it will not hurt him but is good for drying up moisture. There are sprays made for dogs to give them a better fragrance. Remember though, using fragrances or scented things on dogs on a regular basis could desensitize and damage his ability to smell scents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts