Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything I can do for him? He is still eating and drinking a lot... he just has the big D, really bad today. He is otherwise his normal self.

Can I give him anything, or should we just wait it out?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
yogurt on food is good to aid digestion. rice will help to absorb water and firm up watery poops

if you feed yogurt, either put it on top of the food first, or feed it before your dog eats his/her food.

plain low-fat yogurt is best, avoid sugar-replacements in any products as well

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
oh, supposedly Yucca - which is a natural anti-inflammatory suplement, is amazing at reducing gas and/or the odour of gas lol, worth a try for those nasty unbareable dog days

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Holly had a horribly upset tummy, we just gave her time though...by the next day, she was fine again!

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
msvette2u said:
You can add some canned pumpkin, without the spices. If it's pretty bad diarrhea, consider kaopectate or Pepto Bismol.
http://www.diamondpaws.com/health/drugs.htm

I usually go with Pepto Bismol, If it is just tummy stuff, if straightens them right up.
Do know that their stools will look dark to black because of the smithicone.
BTW, Cannon is in the "cleaning clutter" stage right now, so don't boot him too hard.
:wink: :lol:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Just FYI, if you're going to feed yogurt for the macrobiotics you'll want to make sure (by reading the fine print on the container) that it actually contains live cultures. Most of the stuff you buy in the grocery store does not.

Even then it isn't a great source, but at least it does something.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much all!

It passed on its own... I was worried, though, cuz it was BAD! We were going to try the rice with dinner, but then he went again and it was normal.

Thanks to all who offered advice, though...I'm sure I'll be needing it in the future, Jesse puts everything in his mouth!!!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I do realize I am a little late with my 02cents but for future reference, I always fast my dogs for 24hrs at the first sign of any diahrrea. Unless there is some underlying cause (parasites etc), the fasting seems to always do the trick for those cases where they may have eaten something that did not agree with them. Gives their systems a chance to clear itself out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread, I will just add to this one.

My girl has the same thing, and I am freaking out. Seems like diarrhea is quite common.

I am going to try the fasting and the rice idea.

Thanks for all the advice you guys put on here. Great for a first time Bulldog owner

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
rushchic said:

My girl has the same thing, and I am freaking out. Seems like diarrhea is quite common.

Thanks for all the advice you guys put on here. Great for a first time Bulldog owner
I find fasting works the best, then small rice meals.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
rushchic said:

is it diarrhea or soft stool?? at first seems like the same thing but the cause can be very different.

Kate had soft unformed stools... not runny and watery like would be with diarrhea. This was cause by colitis. Which in turn was caused by her being allergic to something in her food. A good food change changed her stool right up

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Roxy said:
I find fasting works the best, then small rice meals.
From personal experience, this is the best thing you can do. I truly believe that rice saved Koda's life. He had parvo when we first got him, and between throwing up and diarrhea, we almost lost him. The vet suggested rice, and it worked wonders! Not only did it help with the diarrhea, but it kept him from becoming dehydrated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Kate said:
rushchic said:

is it diarrhea or soft stool?? at first seems like the same thing but the cause can be very different.

Kate had soft unformed stools... not runny and watery like would be with diarrhea. This was cause by colitis. Which in turn was caused by her being allergic to something in her food. A good food change changed her stool right up

It was diarrhea. She was going several times a day. Ususally she sleeps through the night, but for 2 nights she was waking me up twice overnight. After not eating all day, gave her a bit of rice. She slept all night!!

She has always had soft poo, and I had decided to switch her to another food. I was just getting ready to do this when she got the D. I am going to start feeding the new food slowly. Hopefully this new food is better, I do not want to keep switching food until I find one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts