Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance had told me that the way her friend crate trained their dog was to leave him crated while they were at work with no food or water so that way he would know not to go potty in his crate and then they would let him out when they got home and let him eat and drink..Oh and they gave him food and water before the even leave for work..

I knwo the purpose of crate training is to teach them to hold it but not feeding them or giving any water until your home just doesnt sound right? Whats everyone else think?>

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
My dogs never get food and water when I am not home. They are in their crates with out it. When they are pups I definately wouldn't, because they will have to go after they eat or drink. You friend is doing it right.

In your case cause you are gone for 12hrs a day, its different. A pup can't go that long with out eating, drinking or going ot the bathroom.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
We do the same thing. Our dog is in her crate while we are gone with no food or water. They shouldnt have food anyways since they eat meals and if theyre just laying in the crate they dont need water. She has some before she goes into the crate though.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Bremner53 said:
My dogs never get food and water when I am not home. They are in their crates with out it. When they are pups I definately wouldn't, because they will have to go after they eat or drink. You friend is doing it right.

In your case cause you are gone for 12hrs a day, its different. A pup can't go that long with out eating, drinking or going ot the bathroom.
I second this post.

~S

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I guess I should mention tht she gets out in the middle of the day to drink and go for a walk. So she is in the crate for 9 hours but is out for about a half hour in the aftenoon.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow ok for some reason I thought this was bad for him.. I couldnt fathom him not drinking but ya I guess it makes sense..

As for me being gone 6-6 pretty much everyday I dont know any other way around it.. heres my routine..

Wake up at 5am take him out, bring him in, get ready for work, let him eat food and drink water, play with him for a bit then put him back in crate. come home let him out, take him outside and then pretty much he stays out of his crate rest of night unless he's not listening or he's bugging while im cooking dinner, then I crate him for the night in our room..

I have no other way to give him food or water while im gone unless I leave it for him, but well se how he does today, im expecting accidents of course but hopefully when he's older he could hold it long enough for me to get home

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
personally i would try and find some one you trust to come in in the middle of the day and let him out. puppies can't hold it for that long and once he gets use to soiling in his crate it will be a hard habit to break.
i guess i am lucky, my kids get to go with me to work :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
The reason I wouldn't put water /food in there is because my dogs are required to work for their food and water.

When I wake up in the morning Lucy is required to walk two miles with a backpack before she gets food and water. Then in the afternoon the same thing.

I will probably have to change it now that it is summer time and take water with me on the walks once it gets hot.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
The reason I wouldn't put water /food in there is because my dogs are required to work for their food and water.

When I wake up in the morning Lucy is required to walk two miles with a backpack before she gets food and water. Then in the afternoon the same thing.

I will probably have to change it now that it is summer time and take water with me on the walks once it gets hot.
Jleonar, where did you get your backpack? Is it weighted? I'm looking for one for Chopper. The only ones I have come up with are from Leerburg. 10 pound weighted, I believe. (Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread Obelisk!)

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Bremner53 said:

I am tired of hitting the refresh button................five times just to reply

Anyway I third this post.Buster gets no food or water while in the crate.He gets his water before and after being let of it and as far as food he is on a schedule.The only things in his crate are a comforter and two toys( for his teething )

·
Registered
208 Posts

Jleonar, where did you get your backpack? Is it weighted? I'm looking for one for Chopper. The only ones I have come up with are from Leerburg. 10 pound weighted, I believe. (Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread Obelisk!)
I got mine from petsmart. It has no weight in it. It just has two big pockets on the side. I use bottles of water to weigh it down. I calculated 10% of Lucy's weight then figured out how much water I needed to add in it.

After she got used to that I put 20% of her weight in water in the backpack. If I ever need to add more weight then I will swap out water and put ziplock bags of coins in it.

has lucy ever said no to walking?
Nope, because she knows that she doesn't get food until she is done walking. I don't always use the backpack because I also run with her. But after about a week of using the backpack, she runs to where I store the backpack when I grab her leash. She is always ready for and loves working.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Is there any way you can bring the pup to work with you? I know people who when they have puppies will leave them crated in their vehicle and just go out on their breaks to let them relieve themselves, give them water, etc.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I could probably do that but Im afraid he'd over heat in my truck even with windows crad.. I might be able to bring him in here to my office but I dunno how the owners would take to a lifestages crate in the pre-press depart..lol

Im in cali so summers get hot here..wouldnt he overheat in my truck during day?

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Obelisk said:
I could probably do that but Im afraid he'd over heat in my truck even with windows crad.. I might be able to bring him in here to my office but I dunno how the owners would take to a lifestages crate in the pre-press depart..lol

YES!!!

i absolutely hate seeing pets in ppl's cars in CA.... they think if they have water and the window is cracked, my dog will not overheat!! whatever!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Obelisk said:

I didn't realize your location but you could consider getting a cap for your truck. The type with the real large windows on the side. They should provide more than enough ventilation. We have a cap and its great for the dogs. It can be locked but if we are in an area where I am worried about someone breaking into the cap (it wouldn't be too hard to do) I lock my dogs crates with padlocks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Lisa said:
Obelisk said:

I didn't realize your location but you could consider getting a cap for your truck. The type with the real large windows on the side. They should provide more than enough ventilation. We have a cap and its great for the dogs. It can be locked but if we are in an area where I am worried about someone breaking into the cap (it wouldn't be too hard to do) I lock my dogs crates with padlocks.
I know where I live(South Carolina) you would get turned into the authorities in a New York minute. It is just too hot/humid in SC for that to be feasible.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
jleonar said:
Lisa said:
Obelisk said:

I know where I live(South Carolina) you would get turned into the authorities in a New York minute. It is just too hot/humid in SC for that to be feasible.
If you get the right truck cap the windows are very large and slide all the way open. they would offer lots of fresh air. If it was a super hot day you could still leave the back hatch open and keep your crates locked with padlocks, even locking 2 crates together if you have 2 dogs. I find it so much nicer to have my dogs crated in the back. Way less messy and I believe its probably safer than having a dog loose in a vehicle. If you are careful you can ensure the dogs get plenty of air, just get the right cap and keep the back open when its real hot out. Sometimes when having puppies, its just so much easier to bring them with you than leave them at home. :D

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im real good friends with one of the owners of our shop and he told me just to bring him in..I guess I could keep him somewhere here..after all we keep our computer room pretty much 72-70 degrees all day..lol

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i talked to my boss and he's gonna talk to the owners and see if they mind me bringing mason in during the day so one I can take him out to relieve himself during the day and better crate train him and two just so he's not alone...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts