Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone out their tell me what the heck baiting is . I have heard so many things and read so many artcles that have that word in them when it comes to pits and all that i know is that it has something to do with making them aggressive for fighting.
But I also read in an article somewhere when watching 2 pits together that are playing to make sure they are not baiting each other
for a fight and that they are playing.

WHAT does this mean what would one look for to know if they were baiting each other or not. This baiting thing is driving me crazy
Mine play rough but they are really good together they are just 5 months in another couple of days. But if this is something i should know about to look for in behaivor I wouldn'y know what to look for can anyone help please all this baiting stuff scares me.

Any help would be appricated

·
Registered
143 Posts
Your question is kinda vague and I immediately think of bull, bear and hog baiting.

Here's an excerpt.

History

In 1835 the British Parliament outlawed bull baiting, a sadistic gambling game in which bulldogs were used to attack and harass bulls brought to market with the dubious intention of tenderizing the meat. The dog would assault the bull, avoid the stomping hooves and slashing horns, grab a tender nose or ear, and hang on until the bull collapsed. Commoners and royalty alike sought diversion from the violence and diseases of their day by attending these bloody spectacles until a public outcry forced Parliament to take a stand.

Once bull baiting was banned, dog breeders who appreciated the fierceness, courage, and tenacity of the bull dogs turned their attentions to breeding dogs for dog fighting. They began with the bull dog, mixed in some terrier blood, and produced the Bull and Terrier, a dog that met all of their expectations. The Bull and Terrier was bred for aggression to other dogs, unrelenting bravery, a high pain threshold, a willingness to fight to the end, and an affection for people.

Bull and Terrier dogs came to the US in the early 1800s as all-around farm dogs and frontier guardians. Samuel Clemons featured a pup of this breed in his short book The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County.

The United Kennel Club recognized the Bull and Terrier Dog as the American Pit Bull Terrier in 1898. Buster Brown shoes put its mascot in every shoe with the image of Tige, an American Pit Bull Terrier, to enhance its image as a sturdy, dependable shoe. RCA used Nipper, a pit bull of unknown ancestry, to illustrate the clarity of sound emanating from its phonograph -- after all, it could fool the loyal pit bull into thinking he heard "his master's voice" in person. The breed was used to illustrate American neutrality without fear in 1914, the toughness of Levi jeans, and as a"defender of Old Glory."

The AKC eschewed breeds called "pit bulls" until 1936, when it recognized the American Pit Bull Terrier under the alias Staffordshire Terrier, named after the miners of Staffordshire, England, who had a hand in developing the breed for the fighting pit. The name was changed in 1972 to the American Staffordshire Terrier to distinguish the breed from the Staffordshire Bull Terrier of England, the ancestor of the American dogs, which was recognized by AKC in 1974. The British version of the dog is 14-16 inches tall and weighs up to 45 pounds. The American cousin is 18-19 inches tall and weighs up to 80 pounds. UKC's American Pit Bull Terrier is preferred to range from 30-60 pounds with females generally, but not necessarily, smaller than males.

Staffs, AmStaffs, and APBTs produced by responsible breeders are bred for temperament. Many dogs of these breeds are therapy dogs; some do quite well in obedience, and one -- Bandog Dread HIC, VB, SchH 1, CD -- even has a herding title. Another, Solomon J. Grundy, is a service dog for quadriplegic owner Arvid Kuhnle of Saskatoon, Canada, and Bullitt, was shown on the 1985 Easter Seals poster with his owner, Gordy Ranberg of Genesee, Michigan.

Source:
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/amerpit.html

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Very interesting. I've seen bull baiting referenced numerous times in articles about ABs and other bull breeds, but never knew exactly what it was.

·
Banned
99 Posts
Good point about the baiting as i totally forgot about that term of baiting in bear baiting etc

I am in the UK & slang maybe different But when i hear the word baiting to me with two Pits that would be having them both by the collar & letting them lunge forward & this is used to try & get them really charged so that they go straight away when left in the pit.... Its a pitbull fighting term....

People also use the word baiting when working dogs so they will have the decoy running away & have the dog by the collar baiting it ready to let go & let the dog take the decoy...

Hope that clears that up!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That helps a lot

Thank You for the info. I don't know why anyone would want to do these things to dogs. but at least i know what the term means
At first i know i might sound dumb in saying this but it sounded like some one would hold up some kinda bait raw meat etc to make them crazy LOl
At least now i know I'd rather be educated with these pups as much as possible to give them the best home and care I can and to do that you need to learn about the breed so that is what i am doing. I just love my pups so much they have such personaity I want the best for them.

Thank You again

·
Registered
720 Posts
Baiting is where they use to tether a bull to a stake in the ground and let dogs attack it before it went to the butcher, they also baited other animals such as bears, lions, donky's ect ect.

They also use the term baiting to describe using a cur dog or a puppy as bait when training a pitbull to fight, in this methed of training there is going to be less injury to the dog being trained and teaches the pitbull to kill. I despise dog fighting by the way, but it is a fact and I have raised pitbulls and know their history.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sorry to offend you in anyway, like I said I despise it myself but it's the truth and people still do it to this day, you see it alot in detroit michigan where alot of people are fighting dogs.
When I was breeding pitbulls I would not even sell a pup to someone who lived in detroit, call it stereo typing if you want but that was my policy!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not offended

I was not offended in anyway by you sorry you got that impression I asked because I didn't know. It just amazes me to know end why people in general come up with ways to use animals for things like this that is all i mean't.

Thank You for you answers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts