Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, heres the deal. Deuce has been getting little spots where his hair is real thin. One under his ear, a tiny one on his back, and one under the outside corner of each eye. Is this just b/c he is shedding, is it an allergy, bad food, or what? It isn't bald completely, just really thin, and it isn't irritated or red. Any guess or advice would be helpful. We have been giving him Authority Harvest Baked, but are switching to Royal Canin, but I noticed it before we began the food switch.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do you see him scratching or biting at those spots frequently?

It could be an allergy to food, environmental allergies, flea allergies (have him on flea medicine?), mange or other skin conditions, etc.

Bottom line: Have your vet check it out.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
What you are describing sounds exactly like Maddi when she had demodectic mange. It could just be a wierd thing with her shedding, or an allergy, yeah - but I think I'd take her in for a skin scraping just to be sure. Demodex can get pretty nasty if it becomes generalized and covers the whole body. I've seen quite a few pics of poor little hairless dogs as red as lobsters :(.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well he definately doesn't bite the areas b/c they are on his head, but he might scratch them, although I have never seen him doing it. I am planning on taking him to the vet soon, but I am going to have to switch vets. Mine is good for some dogs but has no experience whatsoever (in my opinion) with bully breeds. Last time I was there I had some questions and he answered, but thanks to u guys I knew he was totally clueless and saying crap that made no sense. Guess petsmart vets about to get some money from me.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I personally really dislike petsmart (Banfield) hospitals. In my experiences there, it seems like most of their vets are either straight out of school and on their way up, or washed up and on their way down. I've never felt comfortable with any of their doctors there. Just my humble opinion and personal experience.

Think it could be ringworm? Does it glow under a blacklight? :D

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not a hippy. Don't own a black light. J/k. Well the vet I go to now isn't good, so I thought I might try Banfield. I don't know where else to go. I don't know anyone in my area with bullies. How would I find a quality vet for him in my area? My breeder was 5 hours from me, so won't be much help. There is one other person on here from my city and he uses Banfield. He is MMC or MMV something. Well I don't know where else to go. Its a decent size city with plenty of vets but how do I choose?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would it be ok to get the heartworm and flea meds from my old vet and take him to a better vet for other stuff? They are really cheap. Last month I took him in to get his heartworm meds and ask the vet a few questions. Didn't like his answers but the whole visit and med was only $5

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Pee spots on carpet glow under the blacklight, too. :D That's why I bought it. It's called a "stinkfinder" and I got it at Petsmart.

As for a vet, even if your friends' and neighbors' dogs aren't bullies, I would ask around and see who they use and how happy they are there. You could also call bully rescues in your area and see if they have any suggestions. :-k Just a thought. If you have nowhere else to go for now, go ahead and go to Banfield to take care of this problem. They should be capable of diagnosing mange or ringworm, at least. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
deuce's mommy said:
Would it be ok to get the heartworm and flea meds from my old vet and take him to a better vet for other stuff? They are really cheap. Last month I took him in to get his heartworm meds and ask the vet a few questions. Didn't like his answers but the whole visit and med was only $5
Flea meds, yes. But they probably won't sell you heartworm preventative without a test.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They already sell me heartworm meds. I go every month to get him weighed and get his monthly dose. It changes almost every month the way he is growing. I think I am going to stay with them for his recurring meds, but go somewhere else for everything else. And there aren't any bully rescues near me, closest is like 4 hrs away. All my neighbors with dogs I despise. The guy right across the street from me has this stupid little chihuahua that is loose. I have never seen them let him inside or in the back yard. Deuce always wants to chase him when he goes out to go potty, but I don't let him. Yesterday he was out in MY yard and the owner was at his front door lookin outside. I so wanted to let Deuce go get him. He isn't agressive, but could probably hurt him just trying to play. I yelled stuff out so the owner would hear me. I was so pissed. Anyway, I will just call around and ask some questions, just gotta figure out what I am going to ask.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will call my vet today to see if he knows any good vets down in the Corpus Christi area. Our vet works with the local Bulldog rescue group which is how we found him. I will let you know if I find anything!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just an idea but if your dog is getting what I call "hot spots"..my GS's used to get them all the time caused by anything from a mosquito bit to a nervous reaction, I found a sure fire cure.
It's not pretty, but I would shave the area and put a small amount of Desitin on it and cover it with a paste made from Aztec Clay found at any health food store (I guess I myself am a bit of a hippie) and it's non toxic. The clay paste hardens and stays over the area drawing out an infection and soothing the itch.

It works like a charm

K

·
Registered
60 Posts
OK, my vet didn't know anyone in the Corpus area experienced with Bullys. I talked with someone on the IOEBA board who suggest you try the Vet on the corner of Staples and Weber - I hope that makes sense to you :)

My vet suggested contacting the dog rescue groups in your area - the vets that work with them are willing to handle the 'tough' cases and are generally much more knowledgeable. We found our vet through a local rescue here in the Houston area. Turns out he has several Oldes as patients - loves Bully breeds and the Olde in particular! As soon as we walked in he was like 'What a beautiful Olde'... it was so wonderful not having to explain his breed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, know where that is at. Didn't know there was a vet there, but know the streets, its like 3 minutes from my house. That would be great. I will check them out. Thanks a lot for everything. :thumbright:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I might know what it is. I was looking on the IOEBA site and found some info on Flea Allergy Dermatitis. It says it is an allergy to fleas. He is on flea meds but still has some fleas. It said it can cause a pimple looking thing where fleas bite. Last night I noticed on his tummy he had ant bite looking things, but he is never outside alone. It also said it can cause reddening and hair loss. I will mention this to the vet to see if he thinks thats what it is, and have him test him for that.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE

Well Deuce went to the vet yesterday and it is mange. The vet gave me some meds to give him. Something that starts with an I. We have to give it to him for atleast the next month. I hope he does ok on in and starts getting better. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep, I think thats what its called. The vet said I could dip him in some stuff, but he didn't carry it so he said I should use the Invermectin. I have to give it to him orally with a siringe(?). He gave me a chart saying how much to give each day. It starts with like .3 and goes up to 2.5 by the end of the month. Does this all sound right to u guys.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts