Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I just want to give props to this new dog food. I love it. It is VERY VERY calorie rich and keeps my dog's weight up, especially in winter.
It has not grains, at all.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein, min 42%
Crude Fat, min 20%
Crude Fiber, max 4%
Moisture, max 10%

465 kcal / cup !!!

I was on Prairie Naturals Venison and millet, which I still love. I switch it up actually. I love this food too. I have had GREAT results from it.
That and green beef tripe.


Ingredients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Salmon Meal | Beef | Potatoes | Potato Protein | Canola Oil | Tomato Pomace | Natural Flavor | Salmon Oil | Choline Chloride | Taurine | Dried Chicory Root | Parsley Flakes | Pumpkin Meal | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Thyme | Blueberries | Cranberries | Carrots | Broccoli | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Sulfate | Copper Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate | Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
PeterC said:
OK, I just want to give props to this new dog food. I love it. It is VERY VERY calorie rich and keeps my dog's weight up, especially in winter.
It has not grains, at all.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein, min 42%
Crude Fat, min 20%
Crude Fiber, max 4%
Moisture, max 10%

465 kcal / cup !!!

I was on Prairie Naturals Venison and millet, which I still love. I switch it up actually. I love this food too. I have had GREAT results from it.
I feed Sassy the Natures Variety Venison & Millet, she gobbles it down. The company also makes something similar to the Barks at the Moon:
Nature's Variety - Raw Instinct

Ingredients:
Chicken meal, tapioca, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), pumpkinseeds, menhaden fish meal, alfalfa meal, montmorillonite clay, natural chicken flavor, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid, niacin supplement, biotin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin D3 supplement, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin B12 supplement, beta carotene, folic acid), kelp, minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, sodium selenite), chicken liver, sea salt, inulin, flaxseed oil, dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, apples, carrots, peas, cottage cheese, chicken eggs, freeze dried chicken, freeze dried turkey, freeze dried turkey liver, freeze dried turkey hearts, ground chicken bone, butternut squash, broccoli, lettuce, spinach, salmon oil, apple cider vinegar, parsley, honey, blueberries, alfalfa sprouts, grapefruit seed extract, persimmons, olive oil, duck eggs, pheasant eggs, quail eggs, rosemary extract, sage, clove

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein: 42%
Fat: 22%
Fiber: 3.5%
Moisture: 10%

Calories
490 Kcal/cup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried that Raw Insticts too.

good stuff.
That Bio coating. I thought it was just all marketing stuff. However, after trying some of Nature's variety stuff, I have to say I like this company.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,958 Posts
My dogs have been on Barking at the Moon for about 2 months now and are doing great. They have crazy gas sometimes but whatever, we can deal, lol. They look great and maintain a nice weight. It helped my little guy fill out a bit more. Luckily we found a nice independent feed store that stocks it. We get Solid Gold Green Tripe treats too. The dogs freakin love them.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,504 Posts
Can anyone tell me how much the Nature's Variety Venison and Millet runs for a 30 lb bag?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
mom to many said:
Can anyone tell me how much the Nature's Variety Venison and Millet runs for a 30 lb bag?

Thanks!
Nature's Variety Prairie Dry Dog Food Natural Canine Diet131010.3, Nature's Variety Dog - Venison & Millet 30 lb. Bag, $52.99. 131120, Nature's Variety Dog - Salmon & Brown Rice 5 lb. Bag, $11.49 ...
www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Natures-Variety-Dry-Dog-Food/131001.aspx

Amazon has it for $45.20
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FOA66O/nextag-kitchen-20/ref=nosim
Nature's Variety Prairie Brand Venison Meal & Millet for Dogs, 30 lb. Bag Price: $45.20
Other products by Nature's Variety ... chicken, beef, lamb, and salmon based Price: less than venison
Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by SitStay. http://www.sitstay.com/store/edibles/food4.shtml
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
Cool, I'll have to check this out. Ours have been on Innova Evo since they were each about a year old, and I like the concept of the high protein/fat grain free formulas. I like to switch them up every once in a while for a month or two. We tried the NV Raw Instinct, incidentally, and they didn't seemt to do as well on it in general - mostly noticable in their coat quality and overall appearance.

Only thing I see with the Solid Gold stuff that I'm not crazy about is the lack of probiotics (which might explain the gas problems :p). I think it would be a good rotation with the Evo due to the main protein source coming from fish though.



Evo ingredients:
Turkey, Chicken, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Potatoes, Herring Meal, Chicken Fat, Natural Flavors, Egg, Garlic, Apples, Carrots, Tomatoes, Cottage Cheese, Alfalfa Sprouts, Dried Chicory Root, Taurine, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Vitamins/Minerals, Viable Naturally Occurring Microorganisms

Protein........42.0 %
Fat........22.0 %
Carbohydrates........12.0 %

Calories........557 KCals/Cup

Linoleic Acid........4.2 %, Omega 3........0.50 %, Fiber........2.5 %, Ash........12.38 %, Calcium........2.85 %, Phosphorous........1.50 %, Magnesium........0.14 %, Sodium........0.37 %, Potassium........0.70 %, Chloride........0.58 %, Iron........330 mg/Kg, Zinc........305 mg/Kg, Copper........20 mg/Kg, Iodine........4.0 mg/Kg, Manganese........25 mg/Kg, Selenium........1.00 mg/kg, Arginine........3.10 %, Histidine........0.98 %, Isoleucine........1.70 %, Leucine........2.55 %, Lysine........2.98 %, Methionine........1.06 %, Met-Cysteine........1.61 %, Phenylalanine........1.79 %, Phe-Tyrosine........2.61 %, Threonine........1.87 %, Tryptophan........0.33 %, Valine........2.12 %, Taurine........0.10 %, Choline........4011 mg/Kg, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)........4.88 mg/Kg, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)........4.98 mg/Kg, Vitamin B3 (Niacin)........33.89 mg/Kg, Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)........4.84 mg/Kg, Folic Acid........0.71 mg/kg, Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)........20.82 mg/Kg, Biotin........0.48 mg/Kg, Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin)........90 ug/Kg, Vitamin A........22807 Iu/Kg, Vitamin C........500 mg/Kg, Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol)........2262 Iu/Kg, Vitamin E........300 Iu/Kg, Vitamin K1........330 ug/Kg
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,504 Posts
Thanks for the info Tycosales! I only found one place in my area that sells it, and their website didn't list it's price. I just wanted to see if it was comparable price-wise to what I'm currently feeding (DVPs Duck & Potato)...and it is! I think I may switch my crew to Nature's Variety Venison and Millet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
Sassy is only 6 mo old, and Ive read with interest about feeding puppies either adult food or a all-life-stages food, that you don't want to use a high protein food for puppies; that it makes them grow too fast and cases bone problems (longer and thinner, weaker). I'm using a mix of the Natures Variety (I rotate the flavors, she loves the taste of them all) and Diamond Large Breed puppy. The protein/fat/moisture/fiber, etc of both is about the same. But some of the better puppy foods have DHA for optimal brain and eye development. The mix seems to be working, my wife doesn't smell "doggy" in the den anymore.

I'm giving her 3 cups in the AM, and then 2 cups in the PM with an added moist treat (1/2 lb of raw meet or a small can of something tastee)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,577 Posts
Jesus, I didn't realize that Solid Gold had marketed itself so well! It started out as just a dog wash/food place not five minutes from me. They sold their product there, but that was that. The owner has been dealing with Great Danes for YEARS and is always in the store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
tycosales said:
Sassy is only 6 mo old, and Ive read with interest about feeding puppies either adult food or a all-life-stages food, that you don't want to use a high protein food for puppies; that it makes them grow too fast and cases bone problems (longer and thinner, weaker). I'm using a mix of the Natures Variety (I rotate the flavors, she loves the taste of them all) and Diamond Large Breed puppy. The protein/fat/moisture/fiber, etc of both is about the same. But some of the better puppy foods have DHA for optimal brain and eye development. The mix seems to be working, my wife doesn't smell "doggy" in the den anymore.

I'm giving her 3 cups in the AM, and then 2 cups in the PM with an added moist treat (1/2 lb of raw meet or a small can of something tastee)
Doesn't this seem like ALOT of food? Or is it just me? I feed my almost 70 lb male OEB 2 and a half cups a day, and my 47 lb female 2 cups. I feed NV chicken meal and rice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,577 Posts
maryserratos said:
tycosales said:
Sassy is only 6 mo old, and Ive read with interest about feeding puppies either adult food or a all-life-stages food, that you don't want to use a high protein food for puppies; that it makes them grow too fast and cases bone problems (longer and thinner, weaker). I'm using a mix of the Natures Variety (I rotate the flavors, she loves the taste of them all) and Diamond Large Breed puppy. The protein/fat/moisture/fiber, etc of both is about the same. But some of the better puppy foods have DHA for optimal brain and eye development. The mix seems to be working, my wife doesn't smell "doggy" in the den anymore.

I'm giving her 3 cups in the AM, and then 2 cups in the PM with an added moist treat (1/2 lb of raw meet or a small can of something tastee)
Doesn't this seem like ALOT of food? Or is it just me? I feed my almost 70 lb male OEB 2 and a half cups a day, and my 47 lb female 2 cups. I feed NV chicken meal and rice.

No...our vet said that the younger they are, the more you feed them, then it tapers off around 6 months of age. I think we were giving Atticus 6 cups/day (which was even what the bag said).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
maryserratos said:
tycosales said:
I'm giving her 3 cups in the AM, and then 2 cups in the PM with an added moist treat (1/2 lb of raw meet or a small can of something tastee)
Doesn't this seem like ALOT of food? Or is it just me? I feed my almost 70 lb male OEB 2 and a half cups a day, and my 47 lb female 2 cups. I feed NV chicken meal and rice.
This is within the range "suggested" on the bags of both foods for her current size and weight. Remember, she's a growing standard type AB puppy and very active (in a large back yard 12 hrs a day plus play w/ me). She is really getting some muscle defination, no puppy fat either.
Based on her parents size, I'm estimating she'll top out between 85-100 lbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
6 cups??????

That is waaaaaay too much!

These dog food portions on the bag are over the top.

My adult dog 80lb gets 2.5 -3 cups per day (granted, it is very calorie rich).

To get them ripped and mentally alert, always feed them a little less so they will be always hungry, like in the wild. When they are hungry, predators are more mentally alert. Did your trainers ever tell you NOT to feed the dog on the day of training sessions?

Even a pup. You should always see a bit of ribs on the side, while he is breathing slowly.

One of the biggest problems dogs have with joints is due to overfeeding when young.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top