Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AB, Fresco, is approx 18 mos-2 yrs old and will bark at us while we are eating. We show him there is food in his bowl and he will stare us down until we say something or play with him. Not only does he do this while we are eating but also when I am watching tv on the computer. I am thinking it is an attention thing but it scares my 5 year old son. Is there any way I can redirect this behavior to get what he wants/needs across in another way?

TIA

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
it sounds like he does need attention, but not just cause hes an attention craver.... is he getting enough exercise and play time? 99% of the time that is the #1 problem.

If you believe he is getting plenty of exercise (at least one walk a day plus playtime with toys) then just ignore him. hes gotten used to you giving him attention when he barks so he will continue to do it. and it wont be an overnight thing either

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I try to go out every day. I live in the north east and due to the very cold weather I can't fgo on walks because I would have to take my 5 year old with me. It is just too cold for my son to be out that long in the cold. What do you do in the winter time to expel energy?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I live up in the northeast too, luckily this winter hasnt been as bad as some past ones (so i've heard).

but if it is a really cold day I'll take Kate on shorter walks but do it a few more times a day. Also I'll sit in one room and throw a toy for her into the other room for about 15 to 20 min at a time. When your husband comes home he can rough house with him. Or that could be the time when a longer walk takes place, so one person can be home with your son and the other is taking your doggy for a walk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"throw a toy for her into the other room for about 15 to 20 min at a time"

I never thought of that...I will try that. My husband works till midnight 3 days during the week and I don't get home till 4:30 so leaving my son home is definitely out of the question. Of course he (son) whines when we have to take the "dog" for a walk. Although he dosen't know it I am also taking him (son) for a walk as well. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Then of course getting my "lazy butt" out for a walk as well. It helps all of us.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
You could also try shooting her with a water gun and saying "no" firmly. She needs to realize that you are alpha, and you will pay attention to her when you feel like it, not the other way around, with her demanding your attention. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
when our dogs annoy or beg while we are eating, we put them outside. of course, it is warmer here so it works just fine.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Roxy use to do this, I just take her by her collar and take her out of the room, shut the door and when she has calmed down she may re-enetred...she has not done it in a while so I guess what I did worked!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Koda does the same, but to our other dog, not to us. When he wants to play or love, and our boxer doesn't show him the attention he wants, he will sit right in front of her and bark and yelp until she pays him attention. It can get annoying :shock: , but then again it's cute too... :D

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I agree

All this advise is good advice. One of mine use to do that and I know he was getting enough attention and playtime he was just very demanding So when he did it I would ignore it , It took awhile but evenually stopped and If he trys it now he does it for a few secs the when he gets no response he walks away and lays down . I always reward him with praise when he does good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much for all your advise. I have tried the ignoring part and my husband has tried putting him out of the room. I know he gets plenty of attention so that is not a question. I think he just demands a lot of attention, especially when I am playing with my son.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts