Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few months we have been noticing that everytime we put Advantage on Murphy he seems to get sick. Yesterday I put it on him, and by last night he was very sick. He was having trouble breathing. I started doing research on the internet and have found out alot of information. It seems that all kinds of flea and tick medicines have been making dogs and cats very sick! Alot of animals are even dying from these different "treatments". I called my vet, and they didn't know anything about this. I just want people to do your own research and be very careful. go to this link below:
http://www.elversonpuzzle.com/biospotlettersv13.html
PLEASE PASS THIS MESSAGE ALONG!!!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Thanks for that very important message! Hope Murphy recovers ok. :shock:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. He seems to be doing fine today. Last night, I gave him a bathe and really tryed to get it all off, so I think that helped alot.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
so whats a good one to use? The one we have been using if they havent had any reactions to it?

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Thanks for letting us know! I don't use tick or flea stuff in the winter, but in the spring i'm definetly going to research up on it. I know any flea or tick med you use is stuffed with lots of harsh chemicals. Maybe a number of dogs can withstand it and others can't? Just a though, i'll research it though.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I use biospot.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know which one is safe yet. My vet is actually the one who recommended the Advantage, so I don't think it's really safe to always go by a vet's recommendation. And I do think some dogs have reactions, while others do not. I am going to try to research and find one that is safe.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I used frountline with no ill effects, except it doesn't repell fleas or ticks, just kills them, I am going to try advantics becouse it seem there are alot of ticks out this time of year. we have deer in our back yard.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I've heard (and read) about all the hysteria around the spot ons, rarely knew anyone personally who had problems - and we've used Biospot successfully for about 6 years now. If I have a problem I'll use something else. We rarely HAVE flea problems except when we get fosters, so it's not a huge issue. I'm going to start treating fosters before they GET here and hopefully that'll cut down on the flea issues.
There's an oral pill you may want to check out, too. We've used Capstar which kills fleas in about 30 min., but doesn't keep them off the animal. It's good for bringing with you when going to pick up a foster, though :)

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I quit using topical insecticide on my dogs this summer. I check them once or twice a week for flea dirt (they must think they're getting massaged because they love it!) I'd rather treat a mild flea problem than put chemicals on them every month. So far we haven't had any problems, and I've saved a lot of money by not buying Frontline! :)

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
I quit using topical insecticide on my dogs this summer. I check them once or twice a week for flea dirt (they must think they're getting massaged because they love it!) I'd rather treat a mild flea problem than put chemicals on them every month. So far we haven't had any problems, and I've saved a lot of money by not buying Frontline! :)
Only problem with this is if they get into the house... the treatment after they get them will be longer because the fleas will thrive in your house for longer.

that is what happened with us... Kate got fleas from the animals that used to live in my apartment so the fleas stuck around longer

(if that made sense? today isnt my day)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Sentinel

I use Sentinel tablets, they only sterilize the fleas so they cant reproduce. And I had a pest control company do my house and yard that uses a "natural product", don't know what (borax based maybe), but they assured me there were no cancer causing ingredients in their sprays or powders. My wife is very particular about that kind of stuff. I have yet to ever see a flea on Sassy since we've had her. And I rub her white belly many times every day.

"Sentinel Flavor Tablets also contain the insect growth regulator, Lufenuron, which is used to control fleas by preventing the development of flea eggs. The medication does not kill adult fleas."

·
Registered
65 Posts
brewer's yeast

i had a friend that swore by a little brewer's yeast in the dog food to help prevent fleas. she had used it for years with her irish wolfhounds, just to keep things a little more natural.
has anyone else heard this? not sure if it helps with the ticks though. and while fleas might be a hassle, ticks are downright nasty and can get the dog (not to mention a human) quite sick. so i'll have to do more research...
wondering if anyone else had heard this?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts