Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw something similar on another board and thought it could be fun....

What do you like and dislike about your dog(s). I direct this specifically to the people here who have bred their dogs or are contemplating getting involved in breeding...but anyone can feel free to join in. Please specify age and breed of dog. I will go first..

Rosco 4 yr old male American Bulldog

Super stable

excellent nerve

Confident as hell, can take him anywhere and he still thinks he's the cats ass

not easily threatened

high prey drive, loves to bite

bites hard and full

social

good tracker

great food drive

very good ball drive

can work thru pressure like it barely exists

not dog aggressive; but will respond to a challenge from another large, dominant male

clean in the crate

great head

excellent rear angulation

nice big teeth

good pigment

good bone

excellent in the house

Dislikes

a little too big

a little too long in the back

easy/westy in front

could be a tad straighter in the rear but it may be due to the large amount of rear angulation he has

not enough stamina

would like to see a dog work with more speed but I think this comes with his size

seems to have some aversion to water

seasonal allergies/irregular heartbeat-no good for breeding

scatterbred

too much pain tolerance...way too hard to control in drive (I view this as a dislike from a handlers point of view but I think it is actually an indication of strong character)

*seems* to lack some defence but may just need to be pushed a little harder...

not a real quick learner..seems a little thick between the ears..lol

sensitive to extreme heat and cold

Barks WAY TOO MUCH in drive....hard to control and it also tires him out because he also barks non stop at training when he is in the crate

Smooch-12 month old female American Bulldog (not really fair to critique her since she is so young and still maturing but I will do it anyways.

very smart, learns new things quickly (as far as bulldogs go..lol)

responds to corrections but without crumbling

decent prey drive

seems to be showing to possess some defence but not too much

decent ball drive that seems to be improving all the time

Recovers quickly when she does get stressed

athletic and agile

seems to have good stamina even in the heat

great food drive

stable

social

not dog aggressive (yet)

healthy (so far)

Excellent movement

Excellent over all structure

good pedigree

Dislikes

seems to have a little noise and object sensitivity but it seems to be getting better with age.

would like to see a little more confidence in a new place but this is also getting better with age

Would like to see her drive for bitework come up some more but it has improved lately

dirty in crate but this is getting better all the time

could use more pigment

too small/fine boned

NCL Carrier-complicates things if I decide to breed her

sensitive to the extreme cold

still too crazy in the house

Who's next???

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Great idea Lisa! :)

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Whoa, what a list. Lisa, when you say NCL carrier do you mean Smooch has NCL or it is in her background? I assume you have to mean it is in her family.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kogeki said:
Whoa, what a list. Lisa, when you say NCL carrier do you mean Smooch has NCL or it is in her background? I assume you have to mean it is in her family.
Smooch has been DNA tested for the NCL gene. She has tested positive as a CARRIER. She will not develop the disease in any way shape or form, BUT if she is bred to another carrier or an affected dog, it is almost certain she would produce the disease in some of the litter. (obviously not something I would do). If she is bred to a clear dog, she will produce a combination of carrier and clear dogs (each pup will have a 50% chance of being either clear or carrier) so I would have to be prepared to test the whole the litter at birth then cull/spay/nueter any carriers that were produced because I just couldn't trust people enough to do the right thing . That's why I said breeding her would be complicated. This is also why it is so important to test AB's prior to breeding, just because your dog doesn't have it, doesn't mean they can't produce it....but it seems not too many people care. :(

Here is a nifty chart that explains the outcomes of a variety of breeding between NCL clear, carrier, and affected dogs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Lisa great post I don't think i could give this a complete answer because i have not tested guinness on nearly enough levels yet. I am still looking for a good shutz group in my area that I can get involved with. If you know of any groups in the washington dc area I would love to find one.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Lisa,
How much is a test like that? I want to get Haus tested, not for breeding purposes, but just for my knowledge.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Lisa said:
I saw something similar on another board and thought it could be fun....

What do you like and dislike about your dog(s). I direct this specifically to the people here who have bred their dogs or are contemplating getting involved in breeding...but anyone can feel free to join in. Please specify age and breed of dog. I will go first..

would like to see a dog work with more speed but I think this comes with his size
Is this a reason not to breed??

seems to have some aversion to water
Is this??

too much pain tolerance...way too hard to control in drive (I view this as a dislike from a handlers point of view but I think it is actually an indication of strong character)
This?

not a real quick learner..seems a little thick between the ears..lol
This?

sensitive to extreme heat and cold
This cannot be a reason not to breed!

Barks WAY TOO MUCH in drive....hard to control and it also tires him out because he also barks non stop at training when he is in the crate
Isn't this just personality?Excitement? Certainly not a reason to avoid a breeding over.

Smooch-12 month old female American Bulldog (not really fair to critique her since she is so young and still maturing but I will do it anyways.

very smart, learns new things quickly (as far as bulldogs go..lol)

responds to corrections but without crumbling

decent prey drive

seems to be showing to possess some defence but not too much

decent ball drive that seems to be improving all the time

Recovers quickly when she does get stressed

athletic and agile

seems to have good stamina even in the heat

great food drive

stable

social

not dog aggressive (yet)

healthy (so far)

Excellent movement

Excellent over all structure

good pedigree

Dislikes

seems to have a little noise and object sensitivity but it seems to be getting better with age. How do you test for this?

would like to see a little more confidence in a new place but this is also getting better with age

Would like to see her drive for bitework come up some more but it has improved lately

dirty in crate but this is getting better all the time ??????

could use more pigment

too small/fine boned

NCL Carrier-complicates things if I decide to breed her

sensitive to the extreme cold Who isn't??

still too crazy in the house

Who's next???

I like the idea of the list, I am just wondering if you are trying to make a point by taking the dislikes and stating that the dog should not be bred for the reasons listed. I mean, good points and everything, but surely you cannot hold extreme cold sensitivity against a dog.How do you test them for loud noise sensitivity and extreme hot and cold sensitivity?

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
sajoseph said:
Lisa said:
I like the idea of the list, I am just wondering if you are trying to make a point by taking the dislikes and stating that the dog should not be bred for the reasons listed. I mean, good points and everything, but surely you cannot hold extreme cold sensitivity against a dog.How do you test them for loud noise sensitivity and extreme hot and cold sensitivity?
as far as noise sensitivity i think it has to do with the dogs reation to loud nioses wile performing duitys..like gun fire ,large bangs,screems so on "i think" and hot and cold is this the temp out side wile Performing ? (lisa im i part rite? :D )who am i kidding i have no idea iv always owned dogs as pets but i would like to get in to working them i littel one day soon !

now as fare as likes stella's got a great peronality great around kids when playing always keeps her mouth closed and plays soft

but when time to ruff house with me she's up for it

the fact that she seems to be a quick learener and likes to please me (most of the time).

tuns of drive when playing ball or tugawar shes gose 100%

clean dog washes her self

plays well with other dogs thes far

size and bone structur LARGE!

Dislikes

dosent like kennnel at fist crys but chills after 10mins or so

still has accidents in kennel pee only time to time

attiton span short wille teaching tricks and obedanice

tear stains all the time

and lazy left eye !

i think thats it but all in all shes a great dog and my best friend !thats why i got her ! :wink:

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
ok lets start with stinking the wonder dog (chance)
:awesome working ability
: " drive
: learns quickly and enjoy learning
: good prey drive with a good shot of defense
: good with people and deals extremley well with daily stresses
: good food drive but works as well for praise reward
:good ped

dislikes: animal aggressive
: poor health, retired at 4 because of continual breakdowns
: to long in the snout
: lacks eye pigment
: poor rear angulation
: slightly long thru the body
: difficult to settle after working
: never shuts up when working
: and he won't share the couch

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
now willy
: excellent movement
: excellent prey dive
: settles well after work
: very social
: good with new situations and people
: increadibly athlectic
: deal very well with temp extremes (heat and cold)
: ncl clear/ fair hips/elbows good/ cerf clear
: good ped

dislikes
: to soft
: extreme animal aggression
: little food drive
: little toy drive
: took a long time to develope bite , typewriter
: little to much jowl, personally i like this
: could have been a bit heavier in bone, not much but a bit
: to friendly/ social. know it sounds strange but it's true

·
Banned
99 Posts
Likes....

- Good sound temp neither to soft or to defensive and can work in any environment his met so far
- Nice run Very athletic can go for hours
- Very good Drives.... Excellent food & prey drive
- Great bite
- Easy to train likes learning ( most of the time! ) lol
- Hard worker Very game
- Very nice size.....
- Nice pigmentation

Dislikes! Where to start Umm lol

- Too Dog aggressive & now causing little problems in training due to this!
- Crap attention span
- Can be overly dominant with other people on occasion & hard to settle after working
- Could have better comformation, Good but not excellent but better than ok lol
- Can be to vocal!

I wont even go there with poor little Bruno our search & rescue Cocker spaniel lol

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guinness said:
Lisa great post I don't think i could give this a complete answer because i have not tested guinness on nearly enough levels yet. I am still looking for a good shutz group in my area that I can get involved with. If you know of any groups in the washington dc area I would love to find one.
Hey Guinness. Try asking on some of these boards. If there isn't a Schutzhund club in your area you may be able to find a Ring club or maybe even PSA?? Guaranteed there will be someone out there that can point you in the right direction if you want to work your dog, you just gotta ask..good luck!

http://members.boardhost.com/bandog/

http://members.boardhost.com/Chicagoland/

http://b4.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?user=jmd413

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HausMommy said:
Lisa,
How much is a test like that? I want to get Haus tested, not for breeding purposes, but just for my knowledge.
Tasha, the DNA test that was done on Smooch is specific to the American Bulldog breed. I am not aware of a similar test for pit bulls (although I suppose their could be one). The only other breed that I know for sure has testing available is the Border Collie. Also, a FYI, the DNA test is not a simple blood test that can be done at any old lab. In the case of AB's a sample must be sent to the Univ of Missouri and no where else, for testing. It has only been available for about one year. I think the cost is about $40 US but that's not including shipping or vet costs for drawing the blood.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Lisa said:
HausMommy said:
Lisa,
Tasha, the DNA test that was done on Smooch is specific to the American Bulldog breed. I am not aware of a similar test for pit bulls (although I suppose their could be one). The only other breed that I know for sure has testing available is the Border Collie. Also, a FYI, the DNA test is not a simple blood test that can be done at any old lab. In the case of AB's a sample must be sent to the Univ of Missouri and no where else, for testing. It has only been available for about one year. I think the cost is about $40 US but that's not including shipping or vet costs for drawing the blood.
Thanks Lisa, I'll have to look into it.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
ALPHAMALE said:
attitude
wont share the couch..lol :lol: .lmao!
ya, you just wait till stella gets bigger, you'll have the same problem dude. gunna find yourself sitting on the floor :lol:

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
attitude said:
ALPHAMALE said:
attitude
wont share the couch..lol :lol: .lmao!
ya, you just wait till stella gets bigger, you'll have the same problem dude. gunna find yourself sitting on the floor :lol:
Kate decided that lying onnnnn me is better :roll:

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
like the idea of the list, I am just wondering if you are trying to make a point by taking the dislikes and stating that the dog should not be bred for the reasons listed. I mean, good points and everything, but surely you cannot hold extreme cold sensitivity against a dog.How do you test them for loud noise sensitivity and extreme hot and cold sensitivity?
No dog is perfect (if a person thinks they have one they aren't looking hard enough). The main thing is wieghing the pros and cons before breeding and determining if the pros outwiegh the cons enough to justify breeding that animal. Obviously a little heat or cold sensitivity (which in my dogs case isn't as big of an issue as it perhaps sounds...I am quite picky..lol). I say Rosco is sensitive to cold because because he shakes and shivers and is reluctant to lay down in the snow for example (but that's probably more of a training issue)..the cold does not in any way slow his work down so I guess its not really an issue....like i said i am picky..lol. I say heat sensitive because when its real hot and humid he tires very quickly. His mind wants to keep going but his body just cant keep up and the quality of his work suffers, so his sessions must be kept shorter which can be a disadvantage if you have something that really needs working on. I think the fact that he is a big dog at 100# has alot to do with it. Hope that all made sense..lol.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Lisa, I'll have to look into it.
Tasha, first of all you would need to determine if NCL is even an issue in the pit bull breed...it may not even be. Secondly, unless you are breeding, there is no point in testing....just wasting your time and money. If a dog has NCL you would know it at a fairly young age and if it's just a carrier it will live a life free of symptons anyways. I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts