Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
beetlejuice doesnt seem to care much about treats when i present them as a reward or even just to get his attention... when i want to reward him he acts more like something is wrong than an excited puppy about to recieve some food. what the heck is wrong here!? he doesnt like treats? dont get me wrong, he eats them. but its like nothing special to him. i think its making his training a little difficult. he wont even come to get a treat when i use it to lure him.

do i just have a real mellow pup? i dont get it :?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If you are using regular dog treats and they aren't working, maybe you could switch to hotdogs or something. I used them to get my dogs really interested at first then moved on to dog treats. I just cut them into little rings. You can get alot of little treats off one hotdog.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I was just going to suggest hotdogs!

When Kate was in OB school.... she could have cared less about treats! But she was hotdog motivated and squeeky toy motivated

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Read So yor Dog isn't Lassie...it has a lot of good advice about dealing with independant breeds... Do you get exicted when your dog preforms? I mean in a good way the book says if your neighbors think that you are sane then you aren't doing it right LOL.... The more independant the dog the bigger the rewards need to be!!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
When are you trying to train him and offer treats? Right after he eats? He'll be more excited if he try to work with him before he eats, that way he's hungry.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I so advise you not to train your dogs with food! The end result is usually a dog that will only respond if you have food in your hand and if you dont he will ignore you. I would reward him with a favorite toy, or get an old rag and play tug of war with him and let him win or maybe even some rough play, all dogs respond different and you need to focus on what your dog likes. What ever works do it in a very exited manner with a high piched octave in your voice (Good boy, Good boy) and get realy exited about it and your dog will feed of this attention and actually make him want to learn more to please you. If he is working for food your dog will learn a limited number of tricks and just go through the motion (Trying every trick) until it gets food.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Motivate the dog with your voice..."come on puppy, what a good boy/girl" really geer him/her up! When they come to you, lots of praise and belly rubbing etc...

Thats what I do for both my dogs :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ambull040769 said:
I so advise you not to train your dogs with food! The end result is usually a dog that will only respond if you have food in your hand and if you dont he will ignore you. I would reward him with a favorite toy, or get an old rag and play tug of war with him and let him win or maybe even some rough play, all dogs respond different and you need to focus on what your dog likes. What ever works do it in a very exited manner with a high piched octave in your voice (Good boy, Good boy) and get realy exited about it and your dog will feed of this attention and actually make him want to learn more to please you. If he is working for food your dog will learn a limited number of tricks and just go through the motion (Trying every trick) until it gets food.
well wouldnt the dog respond the same exact way for the toy? they would only respond if i had their favorite toy or rag in my hand... ?

anyway, i used the hotdog method and beetle has been showing signs of improvement. thanks all

·
Registered
720 Posts
cky3396 said:
ambull040769 said:
well wouldnt the dog respond the same exact way for the toy? they would only respond if i had their favorite toy or rag in my hand... ?

anyway, i used the hotdog method and beetle has been showing signs of improvement. thanks all
No, when you use a toy you will also be building his desire to work and please you. Once that desire gets stronger he will learn without rewards...you can use this toy reward to build your dogs drive and intrest to work vs building off his food drive and the dog may only work for food!

I had a beagle when I was a little kid and trained her to do all kinds of tricks for food and she would do them well but when the food was gone she would walk away, dogs know!

·
Registered
979 Posts
ambull040769 said:
I disagree. Use whatever motivates your dog; if your dog has play drive use a toy, if your dog responds to treats use treats. Either way you're rewarding good behavior - it makes no difference how your dog will respond (motivation wise). Now if you move to operant conditioning then your dog would be taking the initiative to get the click. But with luring and rewarding it doesn't matter whether the reward is treat or toy.

Paula

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
PaulaEdwina said:
ambull040769 said:
I disagree. Use whatever motivates your dog; if your dog has play drive use a toy, if your dog responds to treats use treats. Either way you're rewarding good behavior - it makes no difference how your dog will respond (motivation wise). Now if you move to operant conditioning then your dog would be taking the initiative to get the click. But with luring and rewarding it doesn't matter whether the reward is treat or toy.

Paula
I agree to reward your dog the book that I mentioned is about training difficult to train dogs....With hard to train dogs the "paycheck" has to big even for a little effort on their part....When using food I agree with Ambull040769 that if you treat your dog everytime that you will spoil him...Use random treatings and it will make it much easier on yourself slow taper the random treating method

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.