Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trainer at PetSmart (she's now a friend) suggested that perhaps Atticus might want to get involved in weight pulling. She also said that at this stage in his young life he would have to start out just getting used to the feel of a cart, but said I should do that.

How would I go about purchasing something?

What do I do to get him used to it?

What is a good age to get them pulling weights?

Any and all advice/suggestions is welcomed. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
how old is atticus now?

usually you start by getting them use to just wearing a harness. once they seem comfortable with that you attach a jug (milk jug, water jug ect) with some rocks in it and have them drag that to get use to something dragging behind them making noise. then you move to chains, so there is noise + a small amount of weight. after that a cart
you can "dragweight" pretty much forever if you don't have a cart.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Atticus will be 11 months old on the 21st.

Where do I get a harness?

The trainer said that he's just such a big happy lug, that she thinks that he would really enjoy burning some energy off by getting involved in something like this.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! So you suggest just putting this on him, letting him get used to it?

*edit*

Wow, what a neat site, and so inexpensive. I would much rather invest in something like this, where he'll have hours and days of fun, than on some toy from PetCo that will last him 5 minutes. ;)

You all don't know how people like me who have no knowledge appreciate the information you can pass down.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
You also might want to think about having his hips and elbows xrayed before getting him on any heavy duty weights. I'll bet he'd be great at it! :D

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, that's an excellent suggestion, too. Any other "health" things I need to make note of before taking him to the vet?

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Kasco said:
You also might want to think about having his hips and elbows xrayed before getting him on any heavy duty weights. I'll bet he'd be great at it! :D
good point! i shud have mentioned it, my bad #-o
before i even think about pulling a dog i xray both hips and elbows to make sure they are sound and i will be doing no damage. also have your vet listen to his heart and make sure everything sounds ok.

get him comfortable in the harness before putting any weight behind him. weightpulling is suppose to be fun ! when izzy started out i would put her harness on and have her walk around with me giving her treats and tellin her how darn good she was. now she will put on her harness and off we go!

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'll buy him one for Christmas (don't tell!).

I'll get him in for a little check up and bring up all these points with the vet. If there is any problems with him, I will not be doing this.

What color do you have, attitude?

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
oh my, what colour do i have, lmao! i have one that is red, one that is black, one that is blue leopard, one that is black and white "cow" patterned and izzy will be getting a pink tiger striped one when she has finished growing.
i will have to take some pictures one day :lol:

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Please do.

Dang, you have quite a few! I think I'll be getting him either a black or a red one (husband would kill me if I got any other "color").

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
you got all the advice you need! Jeese Cathy you r on the ball!!! :) Cathy has experience with weight pulling stick what her advice. Weigthpulling is very fun! :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
What a great thread! I have been looking for info (and more specifically resources for harnesses), so thanks so much!

Going to get Zeus into weight pulling after some more research, but want to get him used to the harness now. Little man losses his mind pulling us on rollerblades, so this should be up his alley and he has already been x-rayed.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know, with as bad as things are regarding gas prices, I think I'll forego the weight sled and just attach him to the jeep.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts