Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't notice it until I was resizing some pictures I took today, but Bella has a chipped tooth.


(It's the tooth just to the left of the gap, which is where an adult tooth never grew in. (Haus is missing a tooth in that same spot.))

I'm going to take her to the vet this week to see what needs to be done, but does anyone have any experience with chipped teeth in their dogs? Will the tooth have to be pulled? A root canal done? I hope it's not too expensive! I went back through a bunch of pictures, and from what I can tell, her tooth was chipped sometime between April 15 and May 6, and I'm guessing she chipped it on a raw bone. I feel so bad that I'm just now noticing it. I hope it isn't bothering her. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,660 Posts
I don't know about the chip but it cost $12 to remove one of Dober's teeth :shock: They called when he was getting snipped and they said he had an a K-9 on a K-9 and they wanted to remove it ...I said ok and how much I wsa thrilled when they told me $12 it may be a little more bc he was already under, so I had already paid for meds
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha! Bella had to have one of her canines pulled when she got spayed because it wasn't falling out on its own, and it was all black already. I think they charged us $9. But like you said, it was probably so cheap because she was already under. I really hope she doesn't have to have it pulled because then she will have a two-tooth gap! :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,423 Posts
If it's just chipped slightly they probably won't do anything to it. As long as it's not completely broken it will more than likely be ok. Good idea to take her in just in case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,975 Posts
Oh no! I hope she doesn't have to get anything major done. I feed alot of marrow bones and on some other boards, I've heard alot of people calling rec bones "wreck bones". I've never had any problems but maybe I'll think twice about getting those! It's getting harder and harder to find safe chews these days! I guess I'll go back to the bully sticks. Those suckers are expensive though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chico.Heidi said:
Oh no! I hope she doesn't have to get anything major done. I feed alot of marrow bones and on some other boards, I've heard alot of people calling rec bones "wreck bones". I've never had any problems but maybe I'll think twice about getting those! It's getting harder and harder to find safe chews these days! I guess I'll go back to the bully sticks. Those suckers are expensive though!
Yeah, I've been reading a lot of bad things about recreational bones lately, too. I'm probably going to start looking into buying bully sticks in bulk. Marrow bones have kept their teeth really white, though. :( Ah well...white teeth with the potential for more chipped teeth isn't worth it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Oh no! :( I give Chloe the marrow bones and she loves them but I definately don't want broken teeth. Maybe I should switch to the bully sticks also. Where do you buy them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
manders626 said:
Oh no! :( I give Chloe the marrow bones and she loves them but I definately don't want broken teeth. Maybe I should switch to the bully sticks also. Where do you buy them?
I usually buy bully sticks at Petco. They're really expensive there, though (about $5 for a stick that my dogs can chew down to nothing in 15 minutes.) I know there are several places online to buy them in bulk - I just have to do a Google search to refresh my memory. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,413 Posts
Sophie has a chipped tooth in almost the same spot. It would be the one to the right of the gap. The vet found it at her last checkup - told me to keep an eye on it. Unless it abcesses or seems to bother her, they said don't worry about it. Just keep a close eye on it from now on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,975 Posts
I posted this link on the "durable dog toys" thread but I'll post it here as well because I think these are the best bully sticks. It takes at least an hour to chew these down if not longer and they are $2.15 each. The thick ones are about double in thickness the the regular ones and give a much better workout. The only snag is that you have to get 40 of them but to me it's worth it to save the money. I think the quality of this brand of stick is really good too. I only buy from them now.
http://www.e-petsboutique.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=88
-Amber
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,666 Posts
Chico.Heidi said:
I posted this link on the "durable dog toys" thread but I'll post it here as well because I think these are the best bully sticks. It takes at least an hour to chew these down if not longer and they are $2.15 each. The thick ones are about double in thickness the the regular ones and give a much better workout. The only snag is that you have to get 40 of them but to me it's worth it to save the money. I think the quality of this brand of stick is really good too. I only buy from them now.
http://www.e-petsboutique.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=88
-Amber
thanks I think I might try those
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Jasper chewed marrow bones for 13 yrs and never had anything but nice white teeth - no chipped teeth, no bad breath.
I seems like a fluke to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
usually chipped teeth are left alone unless the nerve is exposed. Trixie broke a canine and had to have it removed..like $600 and she was in pain for about a week..it is a tough sugery. I feel bad too cause when we adopted her, her teeth were already a mess, they are all the size of corn kernals and her canines are all super samll..what she has left of them. She will still occasionally chew on bully sticks, but she licks up her food.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,658 Posts
Roxy chipped one of her teeth once when we were goofing around. I took her to the vet for her check up shortly after and they looked at it. As long as it doesn't start going green and all that lovely stuff you should be fine. As far as i'm concerned, it adds character!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top