Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past week and a half or so, Bella has had what looked like a bug bite on her neck near her shoulder. I just assumed that's what it was, but it has gotten much larger since I first noticed it. I took her to the vet today because she has been scratching at it so much that it's been bleeding. The vet took a sample of some of the cells and concluded that it is probably a benign tumor. (She sent the results to the University of Illinois for comfirmation.) She treated Bella for the secondary infection she got from scratching at the spot constantly and said that if she does have a histiocytoma, it should go away on its own within 2 or 3 months. Does anyone else have any experience with histiocytomas on their dogs?

Here's a link if you'd like more information on histiocytomas: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_histiocytoma.html

Here's what Bella's looks like right now:

· Registered
518 Posts
My sister had a lab that had one that her vet removed because it wasn't going away. I guess it's no big deal really, other than what happened with Bella (secondary infection). This was a few years ago and he's never had another problem.

· Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm definitely not worried yet, but I just hate the word "tumor." Haha. The vet said the "c" word a few times, but she didn't seem overly concerned, so I won't be either. :)

· Registered
6,256 Posts
Poor Bella!!! Haus is worried about his sister. He says to get better real soon so they can play again!

· Registered
5,685 Posts
Yes. Buster and Chico (of Chico, Heidi fame) have both had one on their foot recently. Buster's finally went away after about a month. =D> Left a pretty good scar, but maybe it won't look so bad after some hair grows back.. I don't know how Chico's is doing - haven't heard lately.

· Registered
17 Posts
Histiocytoma

Yes Liberty Has one. It's on the left shoulderblade.We noticed it about 10 days before she went to the vet. I was not at all prepared for what they said. It hit me like a brick wall. We were just answering her questions & letting her know what we were doing to it & out of knowhere she hit me with it's a tumor & will do the test & let me know a week later.Liberty had been out in the backyard with Freedom playing hard, running thru our wooded area & so we were treating it like a spur or bugbite using neosporin on it with no progress. So this tumor is to fall-off by the new year or they will want to remove it for her. So far it is about the size of Bella's. Last week Liberty started putting it under my hand for me to scratch for her so maybe it's ready to leave. Hope so & We Thank-God it is benign & going to drop-off soon. Good Luck to you & Bella.
We will keep her in our prayers thru this.
Cathy Liberty & Freedom

· Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HausMommy said:
Poor Bella!!! Haus is worried about his sister. He says to get better real soon so they can play again!
I'm just glad it's not contagious, because she had it last week when they played. Bella says she can't wait until their next play date! :)

· Registered
2,496 Posts
augrad said:
Yes. Buster and Chico (of Chico, Heidi fame) have both had one on their foot recently. Buster's finally went away after about a month. =D> Left a pretty good scar, but maybe it won't look so bad after some hair grows back.. I don't know how Chico's is doing - haven't heard lately.
I'm so happy that Buster's went away! I was wondering how he was doing. Chico's is almost gone. We're not gonna do the surgery hopefully.
Bella, Chico's got really big and bloody before it got smaller. There was blood all over our carpet everyday, pretty gross really. I wouldn't worry about it too much. But if it doesn't go away on its own, you'll have to get surgery. Even if it goes away on its own, it could keep coming back.... #-o

· Registered
185 Posts
my Brother In-laws APBT gets things that look sorta like that and the vet did tests etc... she called them cysts.... she will get a few a year then they will go away... but they always seem to pop up in different spots never the same place twice... or atleast not yet.

· Registered
428 Posts
Dion had one too on her front paw. It did get all big and bloody and we were always wrapping it up. Vet always tols us it would go away on its own. It was right around the time she was getting spayed, so we had them remove it at the same time. If she weren't already going under, we probably would have waited longer to see if it would have gone away.

· Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LSCKitty said:
Dion had one too on her front paw. It did get all big and bloody and we were always wrapping it up. Vet always tols us it would go away on its own. It was right around the time she was getting spayed, so we had them remove it at the same time. If she weren't already going under, we probably would have waited longer to see if it would have gone away.
Yeah, Bella just had surgery on her paws about a month ago (and she was spayed 4 months ago) for which she was put under, so the vet doesn't want to put her under again unless it's absolutely necessary. Bella scratches at the tumor so much that I wish I could do something to ease her discomfort. I'm glad it's not on her paws so she's not tracking blood all over the house!

· Registered
6,256 Posts
When Haus had the sore on his bum, we took medical tape and gauze and covered it so he couldn't chew at it. I'd do that with Bella, so she can't scratch at it any. Poor thing!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.