Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May Cocoa rest in peace tomorrow 3/10/06

We must put her down, it is her time. I am in tears as I write this and she is not even gone yet. But I think about going back home in June and it will be the first time I arrive home and Cocoa won't be there. I can only imagine how it will be for my sister, my mom, my dad who arrive home the day of after work to no more Cocoa. I never thought it would be this hard. At first it didn't even really bother me, I thought because it was because I had Kate. But the closer it got to reality, I realized how much Cocoa really meant to me.

She can no longer walk. She hasn't been able to walk for the past few months. Her legs slowly went, now she has no feeling left in her whole back half. The vet says her kidneys are failing. She got a cheeseburger the other day and my dad said she is getting a big steak dinner tonight. She stopped getting all her meds and she was fed whatever as long as she ate it. Sometimes my mom took more time making Cocoa's dinner then her own. We would hold up her back half with a home made sling to carry her around the yard to go potty. She yelped a lot, probably because she was very uncomfortable, and there was nothing we could do except see if she needed to go potty or needed water.

Cocoa was one of the best dogs ever. We got her from the pound when she was a 1 yr and a half. Now she will be 13 the end of this month. When we picked her out, she was THE only dog in the whole pound who just lied in her cage not making a peep. She was crate trained from the start along with being house broken, she also knew ever single command there was. She barely jumped and never barked. But she sure knew how to eat barbies heads and 30 chocolate brownies. Never cared about other dogs, cats, or squirrles. You could walk her off leash because she never even looked in the other direction. You could leave her out in the yard all day while at worked because she loved lounging in the sun.

The saddest thing is that her mind is mostly there. She knows when you are around even if you arent in the same room.

Taken today by my sister:

Christmas time

here is a poem I found... I hope it says a lot of good things, I could barely finish reading it without sobbing so that means I couldnt read them all to find the very best:
TREAT ME KINDLY

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend,
For no heart in all the world is more
rateful for kindness than the loving
heart of me.
Do not break my spirit with a stick,
For though I should lick your hand
between blows, your patience and
understanding will more quickly
teach me the things you would
have me learn.

Speak to me often, For your voice is
the world's sweetest music, as you must
know by the fierce wagging of my tail
when your footsteps fall upon my ears.

Please take me inside when it is cold
and wet, For I am a domesticated
animal, no longer accustomed to the
bitter elements. I ask no greater glory
than the privilege of sitting at your
feet beside the hearth.

Keep my pan filled with water, for I
cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.
Feed me clean food that I may stay well,
to romp and play and do your bidding,
to walk by your side, and stand ready,
willing and able to protect you with
my life, should your life be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old, and
I no longer enjoy good health, hearing
and good sight, do not make heroic
efforts to keep me going.

I am not having fun. Please see that my
trusting life is taken gently. I shall
leave this earth knowing with the last
breath I drew, that my fate was always
safest in your hand.

--- By Beth Norman Harris 1968 ---

Sorry for the book.... I've never lost a pet before

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just went in my room and saw my stuffed dog that I sleep with every night sitting on my bed. I never really gave it much thought but then I remmebered why I got him...

My ex boyfriend got him for me because it looked just like cocoa. Ever since that night that stuffed dog named "doggy" has gone every where with me... spring break with my friends, lake of the ozarks, family vacations... every where.

Now I won't have either person in my life who doggy represents. Travis took his life 08/19/04 and Cocoa will be gone :cry: :cry: This dog must never ever leave me

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Oh, I am so sad for you. Right now I am bawling after reading your first post. It's taking me forever to write this cause I can't see very well.

I know how you feal. We know we don't have that much time left with Sadie, and we lost Spooky last year. It's so hard losing a beloved pet. Our vet was very good. He let us come in and put a blanket down so we could lay down and cuddle Spooky as she passed on. A lot of people don't understand. Just know that it's the best thing to do, and Cocoa will be in a much better place tomorrow. :cry:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm so sorry. I too am now bawling and can't see the words I'm writing. My Elvis is gone over a year now and I thought Stymie would help, and he did, but he's not Elvis. This may sound stupid, but I had Elvis cremated and we threw the ashes on the beach (his favorite place) along with my Dad (his favorite place too), now when I go to the beach I see my Dad & Elvis playing in the surf. Somehow that helps. Just keep thinking about the barbies & brownies and remember the was she was. My thoughts will be with you.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
elke said:
I'm so sorry. I too am now bawling and can't see the words I'm writing. My Elvis is gone over a year now and I thought Stymie would help, and he did, but he's not Elvis. This may sound stupid, but I had Elvis cremated and we threw the ashes on the beach (his favorite place) along with my Dad (his favorite place too), now when I go to the beach I see my Dad & Elvis playing in the surf. Somehow that helps. Just keep thinking about the barbies & brownies and remember the was she was. My thoughts will be with you.
That is not stupid at all. We had Spooky cremated and in the cold months she's in our bedroom with her and Sadie's pictures around, and I say goodnight to her every night. My stepfather is in the garden so we were thinking of putting her there in the summer to keep him company. He loved the girls.

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like Cocoa was the best dog...and she's beautfiul too!

Don't know if you've ever heard of the Rainbow Bridge poem...here it is in case you haven't:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Take time to grieve...cherish the memories and maybe when you're feeling up to it, do something to honor Cocoa's memory (plant a tree, sponsor a dog at the local shelter, make a donation to your local shelter, etc).

((HUGS))

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Bless your heart... i can imagine it's pain. My Samus has been gone a week and it still hurts alot tho Addie has helped keep my mind and hands busy. It does sound like Cocoa was a wonderful dog.....I can't stop crying for you.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Really feel for you it hurts so much but we have to do the best for our dogs not the best for us!

I have just been through the same thing with Tara, if you need a chat you can PM me and Ill be there.

Keily XXX

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys so much for your support. I'm doing okay today.... just trying not to think about it cause if I do, thats when I lose it. I sort of wish I knew when the vet was coming, but then again I'm glad I don't know when exactly it is happening.

Mom to many... that poem was gorgeous, definitly made me cry this morning, thank you tho

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
So sad... :cry: She was a beautiful girl. You will always have the memories to hold forever in your heart. So while the physical things that remind you of her may go, your memories will always remain. They will always be with you.

Next week Thursday marks 2 months that Tink has been gone. Yesterday, I swear that I could smell her in the truck she never rode in. But I know that she was there with me right at that moment. Cocoa will always be with you. A friend forever in your heart. Gone but never forgotten. :cry:

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
I'm soo soo sorry Johanna! Cocoa will always be with you in your heart though. Don't let today be your last memory of her. Think of the times when you got her, and how happy you were.

And now, I'm bawling! :oops: :( :cry:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Sorry

this is definailly not stupid I have my dogs ashes and they are in my bedroom on a table with plants a rotty angel and a candle
(electric) which I keep lit .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts