Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you know me on here with all my problems I've had with Zelda (my 1 year old rottie/AB mix. She has like every allergy under the sun so she's on Science Diet ZA, but we have to switch her off of it. We are trying Nature's Recipe. Do you know anything about it?

Also, we pick up our new AB puppy tomorrow night. I think they are feeding him Iam Puppy Large Breed now. What are your thoughts on this? Should I switch to something else for the puppy too? I have a Petsmart and Petco very close to my house. :?:

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Natures Recipe has lamb digest in it, ick. I would switch. I also would most defiantely not feed Iams. I think the best food I found at petsmart was Nutro Ultra (not regular Nutro, it has lots of filler), but it is pricey. I would look into other stores in your area. You might have to drive a bit to get a good quality food, just buy larger amounts of it so you don't have to go as often.

For my dogs Spooky, who also was allergic to everything, she did great on Precise Sensicare and Natural Life's Lamaderm and their ACD Venison products.

Also depending on your pups age, size, etc.... you might want to look into taking him off puppy food. Some people never feed puppy food and some do till their 5-6 months. Do some research on it. :wink:

· Registered
5,685 Posts
Petsmart also has Authority and Authority Harvest Baked. I think they've been scored on the scoring thread, but they're pretty good foods and less $$ than Nutro (I think). My last litter just got adult food when they were big enough to chew it - they got Natural Balance, just like the rest of the crew, and they are doing great on it.

· Registered
54 Posts
I recently tried my westie on Wellness Simple Venison & Rice. Wellness also makes their simple formula in Duck & Rice. I think it's a great food because there is only 1 protien and 1 carb source in the food and most dogs are allergic to either a protien or carb. I have not seen this food rated so I'd be pleased as punch if someone who knows how to rate them would do so! He is allergic to beef, turkey, lamb, pork and several other veggies and carbohydrate ingredients as well, we did RAST allergy testing on him because he had so many issues and thats how we know for sure what he is allergic to. He is doing well on the Wellness which I was pleased with because he also has a sensitive stomach. Natures Recipie also makes a venision formula as well as a fish for dogs with sensitive skin and stomachs.

· Registered
2,838 Posts
I was feeding Buster Nutro Max large breed puppy but he got the runs from it. Turned out it was to rich for his little belly so he is on Iams right now but I will switching that as well once I find the right food for him.He is will be 9 weeks Tuesday.

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IronstayK9 said:
I recently tried my westie on Wellness Simple Venison & Rice. Wellness also makes their simple formula in Duck & Rice. I think it's a great food because there is only 1 protien and 1 carb source in the food and most dogs are allergic to either a protien or carb. I have not seen this food rated so I'd be pleased as punch if someone who knows how to rate them would do so! He is allergic to beef, turkey, lamb, pork and several other veggies and carbohydrate ingredients as well, we did RAST allergy testing on him because he had so many issues and thats how we know for sure what he is allergic to. He is doing well on the Wellness which I was pleased with because he also has a sensitive stomach. Natures Recipie also makes a venision formula as well as a fish for dogs with sensitive skin and stomachs.
What is the RAST allergy testing? Where do you get that done?

· Registered
801 Posts
augrad said:
Petsmart also has Authority and Authority Harvest Baked. I think they've been scored on the scoring thread, but they're pretty good foods and less $$ than Nutro (I think). My last litter just got adult food when they were big enough to chew it - they got Natural Balance, just like the rest of the crew, and they are doing great on it.

i use authority harvest baked my two love it and they exceptionally good at least to me they do. Nice soft and shiny coats

· Registered
214 Posts
I have my dogs on Nutro right now recently switching from Iams bc I found them itching a lot. I don't know how good Nutro is yet bc this is the first week but they seem to like it. I would like any suggestions as far as a good food for sensitive skin that is not so expensive.

· Banned
2,458 Posts
"What is the RAST allergy testing? Where do you get that done?"

RAST allergy testing for PEOPLE is a blood test...they can customize it to test for certain things, or just do a general panel (common allergens). I would imagine it's the same for dogs and your vet should be able to do it, since it's just a blood test. My first AB had some skin issues and we talked with the vet about doing allergy testing...I assume she would've done a blood test (RAST).

· Registered
1,645 Posts
I fed Innova, and for some reason our store in town isn't bring it in anymore, so now I am feeding Wellness, which I like as well.

Anyway, if you have a petsmart near you, DEFINATELY go for the Authority Baked!!!! It is the best food they carry. I wouldn't waste my time with Nutro, WAY to many fillers.

· Registered
1,882 Posts
Care said:
Some people never feed puppy food and some do till their 5-6 months. Do some research on it. :wink:
Hi Care, I've been looking around for what people say on this. Wouldn't it be different depending on the breed of dog and also type of puppy food you are feeding?

There are many different types from what I've seen, but I've only used large or giant breed puppy food myself which was created to slow the growth process as well as aid in joint growth/repair, plus has additional digestive enzymes + immunity boosters which puppies need.

My specific brand (Royal Canin Maxi Large Breed Puppy 32 formula)
http://www.caninehealthnutrition.com/maxipuppy.htm

This brand strongly suggests using it up till 15 months of age:

"LONG GROWTH FORMULA
Meets the Unique Growth Requirements of the Large Breed Puppy to Keep his Growth Rate Under Control

Up to the age of 15 months, large breed puppies will increase their birth weight by 70 times. Too much energy from fat can contribute to the acceleration of muscle and tissue development without corresponding skeletal growth. This imbalance can lead to potential skeletal problems."

I'm just wondering where you were seeing the research on puppy food and was wondering which foods they were testing and referring to? I am almost 100% sure that they could not have been testing using foods such as the one above, but would like to see to be sure as I only want what's best for the lil guy.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
redbull said:
Too much energy from fat can contribute to the acceleration of muscle and tissue development without corresponding skeletal growth. This imbalance can lead to potential skeletal problems."
This is exactly what I mean. You have to look at the individual food. Believe me, some companies are selling a LARGE BREED PUPPY or GROWTH food, but it may still have to much fat and protein in it. This sounds terrible, but some (not all) just want the $$$, puppy and growth food is more than adult. Also some just don't know, this is a fairly new topic. But overall what people who believe this are saying is that large breed puppies need to stay away from the extra fat and protein in growth or puppy foods, as it can have a major impact on how the bones and muscle develope.

With our breed of dogs (and other large breeds) being prone to hip and elbow dysplasia, and arthritis, some vets normally recommend that you switch to a quality adult food at 4-6 months. A lot of breeders also suggest feeding large breed puppies only adult food to control their growth. You would have to talk to your vet or breeder. This is a controversial topic for most. I personally feed large breed puppy food till 5-6 months and then switch to adult. My breeder didn't feed puppy food at all, she made their food. Probably better than any of the commercial foods.

Royal Canin is a good food, but it's not great. I would put it with Nutro Natural. Lots of fillers, but a good natural food.

Here's a couple articles on puppy food. These are breeders with their own experiences. I have a million of these saved, also just by talking to people I trust I have decided it's best not to feed puppy food for too long.
http://www.daneangelnetwork.org/puppyfood.htm
http://www.bcrescue.org/puppyfood.html

Also, there was a study done on Labs (I have to find it, I know I have it somewhere). This doesn't have to do with puppy food, just feeding in general. Half the labs were fed twice the amount of food(group A), than the other half (group B) for a number of years. The group A group looked physically healthier in our society. They had more meat on their bones so you couldn't see their ribs. The group B group you could see their ribs and in our general society taste most people thought these dogs were under weight. The Group B dogs lived an average of 2 years longer and had fewer health problems than the "healthier looking" group A dogs. Makes you wonder. People always think that my Jaz is underweight. She is very active so she does burn more than the average dog, but she is actually very healthy! She may not look as good as a beefed up dog that 'society' views as healthy, but in terms of health, she's an A+.

· Registered
1,882 Posts
Care said:
redbull said:
Too much energy from fat can contribute to the acceleration of muscle and tissue development without corresponding skeletal growth. This imbalance can lead to potential skeletal problems."
This is exactly what I mean. You have to look at the individual food. Believe me, some companies are selling a LARGE BREED PUPPY or GROWTH food, but it may still have to much fat and protein in it. This sounds terrible, but some (not all) just want the $$$, puppy and growth food is more than adult. Also some just don't know, this is a fairly new topic. But overall what people who believe this are saying is that large breed puppies need to stay away from the extra fat and protein in growth or puppy foods, as it can have a major impact on how the bones and muscle develope.

With our breed of dogs (and other large breeds) being prone to hip and elbow dysplasia, and arthritis, some vets normally recommend that you switch to a quality adult food at 4-6 months. A lot of breeders also suggest feeding large breed puppies only adult food to control their growth. You would have to talk to your vet or breeder. This is a controversial topic for most. I personally feed large breed puppy food till 5-6 months and then switch to adult. My breeder didn't feed puppy food at all, she made their food. Probably better than any of the commercial foods.

Royal Canin is a good food, but it's not great. I would put it with Nutro Natural. Lots of fillers, but a good natural food.

Here's a couple articles on puppy food. These are breeders with their own experiences. I have a million of these saved, also just by talking to people I trust I have decided it's best not to feed puppy food for too long.
http://www.daneangelnetwork.org/puppyfood.htm
http://www.bcrescue.org/puppyfood.html

Also, there was a study done on Labs (I have to find it, I know I have it somewhere). This doesn't have to do with puppy food, just feeding in general. Half the labs were fed twice the amount of food(group A), than the other half (group B) for a number of years. The group A group looked physically healthier in our society. They had more meat on their bones so you couldn't see their ribs. The group B group you could see their ribs and in our general society taste most people thought these dogs were under weight. The Group B dogs lived an average of 2 years longer and had fewer health problems than the "healthier looking" group A dogs. Makes you wonder. People always think that my Jaz is underweight. She is very active so she does burn more than the average dog, but she is actually very healthy! She may not look as good as a beefed up dog that 'society' views as healthy, but in terms of health, she's an A+.
Cool thnx for the links. I always thought Royal Canin was an excellent food as it is rated very high in the food rating on this forum (around 99 or 100 rating). Also, the knowledge that I have on this type of puppy food comes from Great Dane breeders and large breed nutritionists.

also wanted to add: I think a lot of people are just in disbelief at Diablo's size, as it is a bit out of the standard for an AB to be so big, but Razor's Edge has been known to produce some massive dogs, which was one of the reasons I went there and chose Diablo and paid the extra $ for him (pick of the litter) last summer. When I went to visit Calvin (the breeder) he told me that Diablo was in great shape, not overweight or underweight, and that I should keep him as is (feeding him the amount that I am, etc). I have not been working him at all and am not putting any muscle on him whatsoever because I do not want to stress his bones. He is only getting cardio 'work' atm.

Here are a couple pics of him to show just how large he was at birth and compared to his littermates:

Just wanted to show that his size is not from over-feeding or from the wrong food, because that is what most people think when I speak of his size. His size is 100% natural + legit y'all :lol:

· Registered
518 Posts
Another food a lot of people have had a lot of luck with in regards to allergies is the Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium Duck & Potato. It's specifically for dogs with allergy problems. It's an extremely high quality kibble as well.

It's an all life stages food, so you can feed it to your puppy. I would write the company and find out the feeding amounts for large breed pups.

Here is the Petco link:

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.a...Ntt=dick van patten&sku=822175&familyID=9751&

· Registered
1,123 Posts
My Vet

Told me to get my pup off the large breed puppy food they are 7 months , He claims it makes them grow to fast with all the enhancers and growth stuff they put in it and he told me you may not see it now but down the line they can have problems with there bones and everything from too much of the stuff so I am looking for a decent food for mine I haven't found anything I like yet so I am still looking

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.