Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know it's bound to happen but when it does you panic. Well at least I did. But I kinda went into battle mode. Bear got stung an hour ago by a bumble bee. I freaked....he freaked!!!! I ran both dogs into the house and quickly gave him 2 benadryl then called the emergency vet to make sure I did what should be done and to ask what I should look for. It's been an hour now. No swelling and his breathing is normal. In fact, the benadryl has knocked him out. But I'm like an old mother hen. I'm sitting here next to him and I keep looking at him making sure he's breathing. Thank god he's alright. [-o<

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
poor bear
im sure he will be fine
the benadryll was good fast thinking
heck i dont even think i have any in the house right now
i should go get some just in case

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I always keep benedryl in the house because Bogart is very sensitive. You sound just like me-I would have freaked out too and constantly monitoring him! :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
ahh Gus just got stung too!!!

Alright Gus just got stung, and i gave him a benadryl right away when we got in the house, but i dont' want to call the vet and have them charge me $100 bucks, he is just about to get sleepy, but he's breathing really fast, he's just laying here under the desk breathing fast, should i be worrkied????

·
Registered
122 Posts
alright well in the last 10 minutes, i gave him an ice cube, and his breathing has slowed a lot, they were quick and shallow, but he was still alert. I think he was just scared too, we'll keep an eye on him and bring him to emergency vet if we have to (i have to work tonight on top of everything too). I'm just waiting for that benadryl to kick in~ Thanks a lot Bear's mom

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Is it just an EB thing to be worried about bee stings or are all dog breeds in trouble?
My late kitty was mentally retarded (he really was) and he'd spend every summer chasing bees.
His face was pretty much swollen for two months every year, for over 13 years. LOL.
So is it the Eb's problem with breathing or is there something I should worry about with my dogs.
Cause my cat was fine getting stung.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think it just varies with all animals just like some people will have an anaphalactic reaction and their throats close, others just have a swelling at the site and some minor discomfort. All depends

·
Registered
940 Posts
My Dalmation got stung about two weeks ago, he had no reaction whatsoever....unless you caount a yip and a straightaway run to the house a reaction!

My APBT's eat them, and yes, they get stung!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
My Rat Terrier Molly was chasing a bumble bee today but luckily I was out there and got her to stop. She has a insect fetish. She will leap in the air to eat anything and eat spiders too. Makes me sick.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hmm - Sam ate one today - pretty sure she got stung since she ran around like a psycho for awhile rubbing her face in the grass. I never even thought to be concerned. Bad mommy... :oops:

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
What was it, invasion of bee day? LOL Poor puppies! Hope all of them are okay and the rest of them stay away.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Poor Bear! I'm glad he's doing okay.

I worry about the bees as well. Emmy (our Dalmatian) likes to chase them and Diesel likes to find them on the flowers and try to sniff them and then try to eat them. It can get prett scary.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't stand all the bees this year. Not only did Bear get stung in my original post above but he got stung again a couple days ago coming out my back door on the steps. And then Molly got bit yesterday. Quick in the house every time and popped the benadryl. I don't want to take any chances. EB's have enough working against them.

You should see me take them out I'm constantly scanning the grass for bees. I feel like I can't let them run in the yard.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well Gus is doing much better after some "labored fast breathing" for a few hours last night, he was like that, and then, BAM he was back to himself. The only thing that ticks me off is i told the apartment manager about the bees last week when Gus's playmate a mini schnauzer got stung in the mouth. I had half a mind to go off on her, but i found the maintence guy today (who loves Gus) and he told me he would take care of it. So she probably never took care of it. Not hard to find a nest. I mean what if i had a reaction to bees? Would she have taken care of it then? Grrr :evil:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
My silly boxer eats them! :shock: I've yet to see any side effects, and I try to stop her before it happens, but sometimes she's faster than me! :?

·
Super Moderator
15,960 Posts
I have a dog who is allergic to them. She ate a bee when she was two and it stung her mouth and within minutes she started to foam and have a difficulty breathing. We called the emergency vet (these things never happen at regular times) and took her right in. He gave her a large shot of Benedryl and told us to never be without it. She started to feel better pretty quick and was back to normal by the next day. She was foaming because her throat was closing over from the swelling. Had we not been with her at the time, she could have died.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wasp sting....

Here is a picture of one of my boys who got stung on his head by at least one wasp. This picture was after 4 Benedryl pills. Strange thing was his head and neck and eye swelled up and we had to put a drain in it....never got infected but drained watery blood. Vet said venom from bee/wasp sting can effect muscle and can destroy it.....VERY scary! He is healed now but I always keep benedryl in my car now.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts