Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am currently looking at getting a Staffordshire Bull Terrier pup, and was wondering whether I should get a bitch or a male. I also currently have a cat and was wondering if they would be "compatible" and if so any tips on how to keep a cat and a Staffy in the same house.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Geoff

·
Registered
328 Posts
if you want a male or a bitch is all up to you. What are you after in the dog? God dog shoce by the way :)
I now some pepole that have cats and staffy. You are never garantied that it will work, but if they grow up together I think its a good chance. Good luck :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply, I thought there might be temperemant or behavioural differences between the bitches and the males. I would not be after a show dog (but would probaly still get a pedigree, just for the health reasons etc.), the dog would just a companion and friend. Are there any special bonding methods that I could try between the cat and staffy or is it just simply a case of letting them grow up together and hoping for the best?

Many thanks!

Normg002

·
Registered
328 Posts
well, many say that a male is sharper but I think that it´s the opposit, the female is sharper but the female is more calm and the male is more a clown. It´s not often a male works with other males but I now so many females that does not get together with anyone. With the cat /dog I think that is hoping for the best, but I don´t really know. just now that I now some pepole that have cats with staffs and that works.
A female is often easyer to learn things I can say with own expierinse. like I said, the males are like clowns(very charming) :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, thanks again.

Sorry if am being stupid, but when you say a male might not work with another male, are you reffering to another male dog, male owner, or other male animals?

Thanks for any help, I am new to dogs and just want to make sure I understand as much as possible before commiting myself to anything! :)

Thanks again, Normg002

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O.K . Thansk so much for your help!! I think I will seriously start looking for a local breeder now.

Nice avatar by the way!

Thanks again ,

Normg002

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a Pit mix and two cats. Its never been much of a problem. Brodie occasionally goes after the older male cat who wants NOTHING to do with him, but I just tell him no and he quits. The female cat however, is Brodie's playmate. She was only 6 months old when we got Brodie, so they was as interested in playing with him as he was with her. They have a love/hate relationship sometimes, but she knows how to get away from him, and he will soon lose interest. Also, its very easy to call him off of her as well, I just tell him to Leave it! He would rather follow me around the house anyway, so he does. Its all about how you train, and early training.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, did you take Brodie to any training classes or did you just do it yourself, I have taken a few dog training books from the libary to see what is involvoed, doesnt look too complicated, I think you just have to be patient and be prepared to put in lots of time. Am I right in thinking this or am I barking up the wrong tree (excuse the pun!)?

Thanks again!

Normg002

1 - 9 of 9 Posts