Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in tears and extremely frustrated right now. I cannot for the life of me stop my 14 almost 15 week old puppy from nipping and biting me. I have tried saying "ow" and walking away, replacing whatever limb is the target with a chew toy, giving her a time out and the list goes on. I have seriously read tons of articles and tried everything.... She will not stop. It just seems to get worse and worse. She actually bit my lip yesterday when I was laying down and drew blood. When I say "ow" she tries to bite even harder. I just do not know what to do with her. I don't know if anyone has any advise for me, if this is normal or if I'm just venting. I'm sure it has a lot to do with being separated from her mother, we rescued her and don't know how long she was separated. She obviously was separated before she was able to learn any type of bite inhibition. I'm just at my wits end and my patience is running thin. :cry: Don't get me wrong I love her to death and she is a good dog other than this issue, granted it's a big issue..... :?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Try a spray bottle, or a dog whistle. If they don't work, I'm out of ideas... She'll probably eventually grow out of it either way though.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Be the Pack Leader!

Check out the dog whisperer. He will show you how to stop this behavior immediately.
For example, giving the dog a toy after he bites you is rewarding the negative behavior isn't it? Exercise, discipline and then affection. It is a dog, not a child...

alone again, naturally

Jackie

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't worry too much, my 14 week old EB/AB pup is quite the nibbler too. I clap my hands and say no.....sometimes she stops and sometimes she just stares at me and tilts her head. I'm sure they will both grow out of it though, stay positive!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I had the same trouble with my little girl. I talked to the vet about it when I had her in one day and he said that when she is biting my hand to tuck her cheek between my finger and her teeth. She will see that it hurts. It worked for her. I tried the yelling ouch or yelping but neither of those worked. Now when she tries to nibble on me I can say Cali, No in a normal voice and she stops. Good luck with your baby.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I tried the water bottle and she hated it! I knew it worked well on cats but hadn't heard about using it on a dog. Hopefully this will end some frustration :D Now if it only aided in potty training :?

·
Registered
449 Posts
manders626 said:
So I tried the water bottle and she hated it! I knew it worked well on cats but hadn't heard about using it on a dog. Hopefully this will end some frustration :D Now if it only aided in potty training :?
Sounds exactly like the problem I was having. Finally we had to call in a therapist/behavorialist. Like you, we rescued ours too. He will be 13 weeks on the 30th. I seriously was losing my mind and crying every night because Zoro was biting me, my furniture, my 14 month old AB mix, etc. The back of my calves and my knee caps had really had enough. The trainer arrived Friday night at 6pm and I wasn't bitten all weekend, until this morning. I don't know what happened, but he was out-of-control, which in turn made my other one out-of-control too. But I can't give up. I know they don't respect me right now, but hopefully they'll learn soon.

Everyone has different opinions, techniques, and tips but ultimately it is what works for you. Everyone on this board has helped me so much with both of mine. And trust me, I vent and ask question constently. I'm just scared is all. But we use the water bottle and if that doesn't work we use a small bag of steel chain links and throw it right in front of him to scare him or break his concentration. Both work sometimes, but its a work in progress. We use one single word for both dogs as a discipline word... BAAAAH. Not like a sheep but like Bah Hum Bug. It's suppose to simulate a growl when used properly. My dogs don't respect the words STOP, QUIT, NO, OUCH, etc. We've used them so many times, to them its the same as saying, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. Sounds crazy but it gets there attention at least. Then we correct. Then we praise.

Sorry so long!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Re: add

halo said:
add a little bitter apple to your list and try spraying it where she bites its a pain you have to keep using it but evenually it work for me
I use the bitter apple as well as a spray bottle filled with water and all I can is WOW,No more biting,works wonders :wink: Hey Halo You'll have to PM your email again,I seemed to have deleted it :oops:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts