Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just got a staffie puppy who is 10 weeks old now. The problem is he tends to bite alot, it doesnt hurt at the moment but im a bit concerned he will carry this on when he gets older.

He has like 20 min sessions of being hyper and will go for the face as well. Is there any other way to stop this other than what we are currently doing which is. Saying no three times after a vicious bite and then if he still continues putting him in his pened off area of the house for 30 mins.

any advice is gonna be a great help

thanks

chris

·
Registered
149 Posts
He is a puppy, and is teething so biting/chewing/nipping is normal, although needle sharpe teeth hurt! So try as stewie said and be armed with chew toys. Also you dont want your pup to become so use to hearing NO, he just ignores it.
If he has a mad session, try saying NO once, and turning away and ignoring him. He wont like this and in time he will associate that him nipping etc will mean you ignore him.
Hope this helps? Remeber hes a puppy so he will get bored easily, so try not to over-complicate commands/training, keep them simple.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My staffy is now 10 months old and we had a real problem with her biting when she was real young and we were advised that when your staffy bites to hard cry out loudly in pain as if you were one of her fellow litter mates and she/he will learn not to play to rough. Only took a couple of weeks hope this helps.

·
Registered
93 Posts
With CC we yelled ouch and handed her a toy, now she go and gets a toy before walking up to you to play. It took about3 weeks till she got it

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
chris2222 said:
is it ok to give a puppy pigs ears then?
They can choke on them - better to give them a Nyla-Bone.

He has like 20 min sessions of being hyper and will go for the face as well.

I have had a lot of dogs but I have found that the Bulldog is the best for jumping in your face. Just a bad habit that needs quick correction. The minute he does it, give him a real stern "NO" and turn away from him. This way he knows this is not play to you which is what he wants to do. This is the way puppies play with each other and he has to learn you are not a puppy. The same way with the biting. I always use a stern "NO" or the clap of my hands, or the slap of a folded newspaper against a table for noise to startle the dog into a quick stop. When he does, say good boy and go on to something else. No play right at that time or he will learn to act up for attention. Good luck.
:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts