Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Bladder Problems? UPDATE

4K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Bremner53 
#1 ·
I think Lucy might have some kinda bladder problem. She cannot hold her self at all. The second she has to urinate she does. When she runs for the door, we have to get up and run to let her out before she pees at the door. She does this almost every hour. She has always been like this, I just assumed it would get better as she gets older, but its not. Also she pees in her crate, her crate is not to big for her, its actually getting to small for her. Last night I let her out at Midnight, and woke up at 6am and she had peed in her crate. It was weird though, all the pee was down the back side of the crate, like she put her but up to the back and it sprayed everywhere.

I don't know what to do, its getting really annoying. I have to wash her bedding every night, which I don't mind. But now that she is getting bigger, its starting to smell.

I usually leave the house at about 8:30am and come home for lunch at noon and back by 5pm.

#7 ·
As much as possible is preferred, but several tablespoons should suffice. When we run urine tests, we run a strip urinalysis, we spin the urine down to check for crystals (which is way more is better), & sometimes will send the remaining urine off for a urine culture.

P.S.- Make sure it's fresh. :wink:

#8 ·
How fresh? She doesn't pee very much at a time. I didn't get any when I went home for lunch, she had peed in her crate, then I let her out, she maybe pees a table spoon, hardly any.

I thought maybe I could get some tonight and some in the morning then take it in first thing in the morn. Would that be okay?

#10 ·
This is going to sound ridiculous #-o ..but this is what I did (and keep in mind I am not the sharpest crayon in the box)..and its kinda embarrassing :oops: ..but I went to the vets and in the doggy restroom area followed my dog on lead until he went pee and atemped to catch it after about the third time I got enough for a culture..

e

#15 ·
Bremner53 said:
Lucy does have a UTI, I am going to pick up the antibiotics right after work. I am so glad its not anything worse.
Good to hear yet bad to hear. It's good b/c it beats a behavioral issue. :wink: Just remember to give ALL the antibiotics & not just stop them after a few days. She needs the whole treatment. Also, once she's complete them, get another urine sample & have them recheck her.

Hope all goes well!

#16 ·
Miakoda said:
Bremner53 said:
Lucy does have a UTI, I am going to pick up the antibiotics right after work. I am so glad its not anything worse.
Good to hear yet bad to hear. It's good b/c it beats a behavioral issue. :wink: Just remember to give ALL the antibiotics & not just stop them after a few days. She needs the whole treatment. Also, once she's complete them, get another urine sample & have them recheck her.

Hope all goes well!

Thanks so much Miakoda, You've been really helpfull!!!

#17 ·
Ouch! Poor baby Nothing worse than a UTI! It feels like your gonna burst if you don't go pee! Been there done that! Ouch! You think your finally gonna go pee then you just can't. Boy do I feel for her. Do make sure she takes all of her meds, keep an eye on her, she may become prone to future UTI's! Also make sure she always has enough clean water to drink. Best of luck to Lucy!

#21 ·
Kate got one once. We nabbed it in the butt the day she got it tho. In one morning and on one walk she went pee over 8 times and was really straining to go. I felt horrible for her. I know how much pain I'm in with one, I can only imagine for her and she cant talk!

One thing the vet recommended is to put a little bit of salt on their food to get the drinking going even more

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.