Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chopper has a histio on his front foot. He had one a while but it was on his back leg so he didn't bother with it. This one is almost the size of a quarter and he keeps licking it. He's got it all ulcerated and bleeding. Any ideas how I can keep him from licking it? I don't think he'll leave a bandage on, he'd prolly eat it. :roll: I've been treating it with Bactroderm ointment. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Maybe spray bitter apple on the bandage and then wrap it. Make sure not to get the BA on the wound. Good Luck...oh and the dreaded E colloar :(

·
Registered
965 Posts
When Eros was young he used to spin in his crate. One day I came home and there was blood splattered all over the wall behind his crate and on the floor. I damn near had a heart attack. Anyway with all of his spinning, his tail kept hitting the bars of his crate. The tip inch of his tail was a bloody mess, and turned into a huge sore. He wouldn't stop messing with it, and I couldn't bandage it. A dog trainer friend of mine told me to spray Tinactin on it. It worked like a charm. He hated the taste of it, and it kept it from getting infected by killing the bateria.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had the same thing with my AB.(histiocytoma on front paw) She kept licking it and she ripped off the bandages in 2 seconds.
My vet told me to cover it with gauze and wrap it with duct tape :shock: . Sounds barbaric..but it worked.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Well, I have a lot of old athletic training equipment on me...on Atticus' tail...we wrapped it with pre-wrap, then wrapped it with the athletic tape. Just tape that bad boy up nice and good. Your doctor is right...duct taping is the essential idea, but athletic tape is much "nicer". He won't mess with it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Poor Chopper!!! Those darn dogs will get anything off of them they don't want on them! Good luck. Dion had one when she was a pup, and we just had it removed when she got fixed. We had a few days (or hours probably) where she was too tired to mess with it. I am so glad we got it removed when we did. The duct tape sounds like a good one. GOOD LUCK and give that boy kisses!!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great ideas guys!!

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
Janie said:
I had the same thing with my AB.(histiocytoma on front paw) She kept licking it and she ripped off the bandages in 2 seconds.
My vet told me to cover it with gauze and wrap it with duct tape :shock: . Sounds barbaric..but it worked.
Duct tape over the gauze works great..I used that on a horse hoof for about 8 mo. I made him wear a duck tape boot..after I spent a small fortune on rubber horse boots (which all got lost in the mud) my farrier told me to treat his wound rap in vet wrap and duct tape...worked like a charm..

e

1 - 8 of 8 Posts