Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a bull mastiff that continually wags his tail into things in the house until it bleeds leaving blood marks on the walls and furniture. Does anyone else have this problem and is there anything you can do about it?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
my friends dalmation had that problem..... she ended having to amputate part of her tail b/c of the severity of the damage it had caused.

i've always been a no tails kinda girl myself (rotti and EB)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I had that problem with my boxer (his tail wasn't cropped). We'd just put a little bandage on it until it healed up.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
My pitbull Magnum has this problem - she bleeds EVERYWHERE profusely!! The vet said it we couldnt get it to stop part of her tail would have to be amputated because it would get infected - he ended up wrapping it for a couple weeks....but, my cousin is a vet tech and says that you can just put s dab of superglue on it and it will seal the wound and stop the bleeding - you just have to make sure the dog doesnt try to lick it off which mine never tried to do.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I'm sorry, I know this is horrible. But I now have this image in my head of a dog with his tongue superglued to his tail. :lol:

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
augrad said:
I'm sorry, I know this is horrible. But I now have this image in my head of a dog with his tongue superglued to his tail. :lol:
Ha ha - no - superglue dries almost instantly so one drop on the end of the tail and hold it away from their mouths for a second or two and then its all good - I have been doing this for Mags on the rare occasions that it happens anymore - I don't want it to have to be all wrapped and taped up again, she was constantly trying to chew on it - and it looked rediculous!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
This happened with my Clara when she was younger,
We used superglue too. Works wonders.
:D

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
bodazafa said:
My pitbull Magnum has this problem - she bleeds EVERYWHERE profusely!! The vet said it we couldnt get it to stop part of her tail would have to be amputated because it would get infected - he ended up wrapping it for a couple weeks....but, my cousin is a vet tech and says that you can just put s dab of superglue on it and it will seal the wound and stop the bleeding - you just have to make sure the dog doesnt try to lick it off which mine never tried to do.
Wow, thats weird! Ha, superglue. My doctor broke his tooth and just superglued it back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
superglue

i also have endured this problem.

2 vet visits....vet tape....duct tape....foam pipe insulation....needle covers......plastic pipe.....etc.

I think i have tried everything to address the problem.

The last thing i did was superglue.

I first held the dogs tail and dipped it peroxide...dried it with clean towels.

Then put on the superglue...after i pinched the wound together....and then took the female for a 20 minute walk to let it "airdry" and allow the fumes to go away.

It worked for 2 years but just 3 days ago i saw blood again...so i guess i will be doing it again.

I think the medical term is "dam happy tail" as my vet stated....lol.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, it was like a bad "slasher" movie around our house, there was splattered blood everywhere. We have to warn people about the viscious tail, and keep Vega's tail away from the little ones lest they lose a finger or an eye from the "wicked wagger." :wink:

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
FogDude said:
yikes sounds scary, makes me glad Gracie is docked.

Believe me, it is a very good reason to do so. I have had bruises on my leg
from this. And our house has looked like the "mad slasher" has been there, too.
Thank God, for Super Glue. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
After reading this I am glad we got our new puppies tail docked. I really didn't want too but I do know Faith wacks me with her tail all of the time and she does it right in my eye alot also. And I know Boxers get bigger so I am sure it would hurt even more.

·
Registered
623 Posts
OK, I have never heard of this!! My AB is 5 1/2 months, is this something that could happen?? Sorry if this sounds stupid, but how exactly does the tail get cut?? Is it because they hit it so hard on something it cuts it. I am normally not a total ditz, but just want to know what to watch out for!! I have a boxer and his tail is docked so we have never had tail issues before.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't had this problem with my AB's (yet) but what happens with my friends mastiff is he wags his tail into the door casings and table legs and his skin splits. I've gotten bruises on my legs from his tail and he gat take down a small child with a single swipe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts